Is this normal with gel nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautybumblebee

Reaction score
hi everyone,
I have been doing gel manicures for over a year now and my sets last up to 2 weeks, I do thin coats and use gelish. However I have one customer who has complained a couple of times saying they chip after around 12 days and I have had to do her a discounted or complimentary set.
She has been to other places and they last three weeks or longer but they put a drill to her natural nails before and I think that may be why they are lasting so long? I don't do this and I only VERY lightly buff the natural nail.
How long do your gels last on average?
I always thought anything over a week for gels to last was good, but obviously not :-/

Thanks

hi everyone,
I have been doing gel manicures for over a year now and my sets last up to 2 weeks, I do thin coats and use gelish. However I have one customer who has complained a couple of times saying they chip after around 12 days and I have had to do her a discounted or complimentary set.
She has been to other places and they last three weeks or longer but they put a drill to her natural nails before and I think that may be why they are lasting so long? I don't do this and I only VERY lightly buff the natural nail.
I always thought anything over a week for gels to last was good, but obviously not :-/

Thanks
I use shellac and my clients get 3 to 4 even five weeks before getting fed up of the colour or the regrowrh

Not because of peeling etc

I use shellac and my clients get 3 to 4 even five weeks before getting fed up of the colour or the regrowrh

Not because of peeling etc

Can you tell me your prep and your steps please?
Thanks

To me it really varies on the client. I use Gelish, some clients have them every 2 weeks (normally those who are hair dressers or have very hands on jobs) most go 3 weeks nicely. Then i have a older clients who go 4weeks. I offer to fix nails within the first 2 days. After that I charge. However if I had someone msg after 12 days who was new, I'd probably do them as a good gesture but once only.

On more problem nails I thoroughly cleanse the nail twice, apply two coats of the ph bond, and use structure gel between the colour and top coat and find that makes a massive difference :)

On more problem nails I thoroughly cleanse the nail twice, apply two coats of the ph bond, and use structure gel between the colour and top coat and find that makes a massive difference :)

Do gelish do a structure gel?
That's great advice thank you,
I do soak the nails in warm water with hand soak at the beginning of my nail service to help soften cuticles, do you think this may have a negative effect? By the time I have done all my prep and dehydrated the nails they are fully dry and ready for foundation coat.. so I'm not sure.

hi everyone,

Thanks
If her nails are damaged from the other salon, you won't get them to last very long. Unfortunately even gelish, being a gel polish, won't stick to damaged nails as well as it normally does.

Perhaps look into IBX and offer her a round of these amazing nail repairing/strengthening treatments. This will help give a better base for the gelish and it will repair her damaged nails.

Don't soak the nails before hand

The nails absorb water, changing the shape of the nail itself and the product won't last. You need dry prep. I'd invest into a good cuticle product like cnd cuticle away. You use it without water and it effectively allows you to push back cuticles easily without water. Just make sure to deactivate the product with a quick spray of water (the nails won't absorb this so don't worry)

I wouldn't be giving any free repairs after 12 days of wear. That's down to the client not looking after them.

If her nails are damaged from the other salon, you won't get them to last very long. Unfortunately even gelish, being a gel polish, won't stick to damaged nails as well as it normally does.

Perhaps look into IBX and offer her a round of these amazing nail repairing/strengthening treatments. This will help give a better base for the gelish and it will repair her damaged nails.

I did say to her to leave the gels and focus on repairing them but she only wants gels and isn't happy if they don't last as they last
I wouldn't be giving any free repairs after 12 days of wear. That's down to the client not looking after them.

That's what I'm thinking, thank you

The nails absorb water, changing the shape of the nail itself and the product won't last. You need dry prep. I'd invest into a good cuticle product like cnd cuticle away. You use it without water and it effectively allows you to push back cuticles easily without water. Just make sure to deactivate the product with a quick spray of water (the nails won't absorb this so don't worry)

Ok I will try this thank you

Sorry for my short sharp responses I have been between clients whilst responding
Apologies if I came across as sharp!
I wouldn't soak as had already been explained before hand
Good luck with changing your way of prep I'm sure this will give you the desired results

When I trained in Gelish I was taught to do a dry manicure so that's what I would do followed by cleanse, ph bond, foundation, colour, structure & tio x

I did say to her to leave the gels and focus on repairing them but she only wants gels and isn't happy if they don't last as they last

That's what I'm thinking, thank you

The good thing with IBX is you can apply before doing any gel polish services. So she can have both worlds! I highly suggest getting IBX, it's a low cost and works. Her nails will be able to be repaired and she can have the gel she wants right away.

The good thing with IBX is you can apply before doing any gel polish services. So she can have both worlds! I highly suggest getting IBX, it's a low cost and works. Her nails will be able to be repaired and she can have the gel she wants right away.
I agree, ibx is great and I do quite a bit of it

But it's not instant, so probably won't make much of a difference until she's has a few treatments x

I agree, ibx is great and I do quite a bit of it

But it's not instant, so probably won't make much of a difference until she's has a few treatments x
No, but atleast it can get her on her way.

Hi all, I'm a newbie, just wondering exactly what Ibx is/does? I'm doing my gelish training later this month. I have issues with my own nails in that they split frequently so am wondering if this is something I could use for myself and then recommend to client? X

Latest posts

Back