Is this wrong? Impetigo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Rachel :)

Reaction score
Right geeks.
Theres a girl in our salon who has impetigo, she has come in today as the clients she has booked in leave big tips so she doesn't want to risk loosing them! It is all over her face and tbh looks terrible. I had really sensitive skin and I'm not really happy about the fact she's come in.

Should she be at home? Se could infect clients aswell surly?

X x

Whoa! Impetigo is highly infectious...doesn't matter that it's on her face. She's putting her clients at risk.

Impetigo - PubMed Health

Right geeks.
Theres a girl in our salon who has impetigo, she has come in today as the clients she has booked in leave big tips so she doesn't want to risk loosing them! It is all over her face and tbh looks terrible. I had really sensitive skin and I'm not really happy about the fact she's come in.

Should she be at home? Se could infect clients aswell surly?

X x

Impetigo /ɪmpɨˈtaɪɡoʊ/ is a highly contagious bacterial skin infection most common among pre-school children.[1] People who play close contact sports such as rugby, American football and wrestling are also susceptible, regardless of age. Impetigo is not as common in adults. The name derives from the Latin impetere ("assail"). It is also known as school sores.[2]

This is directly from Wikipedia. I would not allow her to be at work :-/

It's highly contagious ~ my child had it once and there not aloud in school until its cleared up

impotigo is highly contagious and the staphylococcus Aureus virus i.e the SA of MRSA so she really should not be working until antibiotics have totally cleared it x x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Send her home she shouldn't be working with that. It is a selfish and inconsiderate thing to do to both clients and work collegues. Health and safety would have a field day!

Definitely should not be in work... Imagine if a pregnant client (or staff member) is around!!! Very selfish! X

She is being highly unprofessional by not thinking of anyone but her own greed:evil:

I know right? Well apparently it was our manager who made her come in and provided her with masks like people wear! And gloves! X x

Last edited by a moderator:
I had it once, its not pretty! Surely her clients would rather resched than risk it! X

one word - disgusting!
Your boss should know better and god help them if a client catches it from her!

one word - disgusting!
Your boss should know better and god help them if a client catches it from her!

So true!!
It's so easily caught too! Been done that with my kids!
It's just pure greed....

I had it when i was in secondary school...it went round like wild fire!...yourll all be out of business for a while if she stays as its VERY likely you will all get it from her.
Get her sent home! X

Pretty sure those good tipping client would rather reschedule than get something as nasty as impetigo!!!

As everyone has said, it's a highly contagious bacterial infection . . . . she will (although she'll say she won't) touch her face, without even realising, then WHEREVER she puts those fingers, it will be transferred and can be picked up EASILY by whoever next touches there. . .

However the NHS site states that children (for example) should be kept off school or playgroup until the sores have dried up, blistered or crusted over or until 48 hours after starting treatment. So one can presume after this time one is non-infectious although it would still look pretty bad?

Your boss needs to establish with her which stage she is at and whether she is receiving treatment for it. . . . her own doctor should be able to tell her when to return to work.

Has she been to the doc?

This is beyond wrong! Your boss should not allow her to come in what a joke! If I were you I would wear a cardigan and put it over my hand to open doors or touch anything that she will have touched. Wash your hands a lot and use antibacterial gel. And keep a wide berth from her.

I can't believe this. If I were a client and saw my therapist had impetigo I would just die! There's no way on earth you would let we treat you if you knew what it was.

I think the answer to your question is ... Yes it is wrong! lol

Definitely wrong.

It is highly contagious. Wearing gloves is fine, but if she touches her face with her gloved hands, the impetigo will then be spread to anything and anyone she touches while wearing those gloves. Not just door handles, but work surfaces, products, etc.

I don't think the mask matters because it is an infection passed through contact, not by breathing it in...though maybe the boss just thinks it will hide it better? xx

OMG, I just had to respond to this as i had this a few years ago and I was treated like a leper due to how contagious and virile this infection is!

I got it when I was living in Australia, it was horrible! It spread all over my neck and face and to everyone I had been in touch with, eek! I was firstly told by a pharmacist that it was coldsores..... but as it just kept getting worst, I ended up at a hospital clinic where they finally managed to diagnose it as impetigo. The doc, looked at me, held my face and then went oh dear, and stepped back apologising for being rude but that it was so contagious that he wouldn't be touching me again and promptly changed his gloves! He signed me off work (office job) for 10 days and told me limit my contact with my friends and family and try to stay home.

Cannot believe she has come to work - ignorant or selfish?!

My son has just been diagnosed with impetigo. I only have 3 clients booked over next 2 days and was considering rescheduling as a precaution but grateful for any advice x

Latest posts

Back