Issue with Shellac base coat...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny-Nails

Reaction score
Hello fellow geeks, please can anyone enlighten me...

When I'm applying Shellac base coat to a couple of my clients (not everyone) and it doesn't appear to adhere properly, it starts to get 'holes' in it ...as if the nail plate is oily (however I'm meticulous with my PEP) :confused:

So there is no way I can apply the colour, so I remove the base coat and scrubfresh the nail plate again....and apply another coat...and sometimes it'll do the same....but sometimes it goes on normal.

It has happened a couple of times now and only on the same 2 clients.

I was wondering if it was because my base coat has got a bit thicker (as it only has about 1/3rd left in the bottle) and not the thin consistency of a new bottle. :|

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please (not UV light though...as that'll cure my product!! hehehe).

Thanks in advance
Jenny :)

I have seen this before with shellac and that too was when the bottle was only about 1/3 full. I put it down to the product being too thinly stretched, but I wouldn't like to say that is the reason. Personally I didn't rate shellac and switched to nsi polish pro and have had no problems so far, but there is always a first time.
If I were you, I would give Sweet Squared a call and see what they say/suggest. X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

hi,i found this happing.and even though i prep right.I was the prep,it was when i was using cuticle away while cleaning the nail plate i was not cleaning it all and was leaving bits skin on the plate.Which only showed up when i did the base coat.Hope this makes sense?

Hi Jenny I don't do Shellac as yet (doing course in two wks yay) anyhow I do acrylic but apply a gel topcoat over the top and I am down to the last bit in the bottle and this very same thing happened to me. Holes in the application as if the nail was oily.

I have done 'dry pep' for over a year...then switched to using Cuticle Away last month as advised by a CND Ambassador.... loved using it as it glides on lovely! However - I get the pockets too in the base coat!!

Think I will use cuticle away only when it is really necessary!

Bit confused tho tbh as to if we should be using or not???:|

Bit confused tho tbh as to if we should be using or not???:|

Doing a dry or wet PEP depends a lot on your client.

If you have a client who is religious about Shellac and comes back every 14 days to have it removed and reapplied, then a dry PEP is needed. This is because you are dealing with the cuticle on a regular basis and is able to keep the cuticle in a good condition and under control for Shellacking.

However, if you are doing a client for the first time maybe, or if the client has special issues with their cuticles, then a wet PEP is recommended in order to prepare the nail effectively for the use of Shellac.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that's v helpful :)

Latest posts

Back