It was my first day today...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like peepaws suggestions, also consider approaching clients who are having the hair done and explain that you are free at this particular time and can offer them a free file and polish if they purchase 2 varnishes (or similar) from you - you should let the owner know but she should be ok as it will benefit everyone

Just to say......Never say free service. Complimentory sounds better!

just want to give you a big Cyber :hug::hug:, every one has given you fantastic advice:)...i wish you all the best! keep us all up dated!

Danielle xx

Hey!! I remember when I got my first proper salon job no clients etc!!! I had to do all the shampooing and you know what it does pick up when as suggested why not do all the hairdressers nails people will see them when they are having a cut and will want them!!! Also why not offer to help with the shampoos and coffees etc that way you will not feel such a spare part and will get chatting to the clients then you will get known with the regulars and they will take your number!! Even if they dont book there could be a friend of theirs wanting say wedding nails and the client will say theres a lady who does these at my hairdressers heres her card etc!!! Be friendly professional and get your work out there do your friends nails so others will want them tell your friends to give them teh salons number for a booking!!!! Good luck dont be disheartend please let us know how your getting on:hug::hug:xxx

Aw dont worry luv, it's like that at first.

I started renting my room in January '08. Now, I have some busy days, but I still have plenty of quiet days, and some days no-one at all!

It can be disheartening at first when you have to work bloody hard to get your name out there, raise awareness that you are there, launch promotions etc, and in return you get hardly any clients, but this can only get you down if you let it!! Remember that Rome wasnt built in a day, it will take time and repeated marketing exercises for you to secure a regular flow of clients, but dont do what lots of people do, bung a load of leaflets out, you get 2 or 3 people from it, then think "that didnt work, I wont do it again". You need to keep putting your info out there, and the repeated presence of your marketing literature will start to get noticed.

Chin up love, keep working hard and you will get there eventually!

(p.s - have you made sure that each of the hairdressers is sporting a set of your nails? Free advertising!)

Hi Everyone thank you so much for all your advice!

Hope you are all ok, Well.... On Friday I had to do a pedicure on one of the owners, then I had to do a set of nail enancements for another owner, who is also going to book in this week for a pedicure, and I had a lady come in who was going to a wedding and she was having her nails done and decided that she would like a file and polish so that was pleasing, so over the past week really I have had one customer from outside the salon.

I have gone in today and decided to come back home to do some marketing because the lady's salon is closed for today, so it looks like Monday is going to be a very quiet day for me unless I can get any clients in on my own. I just really hope that this is going to work! :) Think I've just got to stop stressing and just get on with it!!!! lol xxx

I too rent a room above a hairdressers, and have been there since November 1st 07.

I had an open evening on my open day and took 10 appointments, I also held a raffle so that some people had free treatments.

Hand on heart, I have made my rent EVERY week since, but sometimes nothing over it.

the hairdressers are great and try and push my services, I have posters and postcards arranged everywhere.

I get everyones emails and send them special offers and news of whats going on.

A couple of weeks ago I had NO APPOINTMENTS IN and the owner suggested I offer some cheaper treatments, I did back massage for £10 saving £8, Indian head massage for £10 saving £5 and mini manicures for £5 (not on my menu but I am qualified). I got twice my rent and most of them booked for the following week as I had it on for 2 weeks.

Today is my first week back from 2 weeks holiday, and I've already made my rent.
I have nothing booked in tomorrow.
One booked in Thur and Fri and 2 on Saturday, so thats all takings.

Take heart, give yourself 6 months, but forget raking loads of money in to begin with, also their is a credit crunch.

When I first went in I gave all the hairdressers a 20 minute free treatment.
Then at Christmas I made up a lucky dip and they got another treatment free, but I chose what the treatments were.

I give the hairdressers 10% off any treatment that they book with me, and I always add extra bits for them too. Engage them, get them interested in what you do.

I have also just bought a digital photo frame and put photos of me doing treatments with captions on, this will be playing all day next the seats and retail section. I only took it in today so don't know what results it brings.

when you get a new client, ASK how they found out about you. If its through one of the hairdresser's be sure to thank them later, if its through one of the shops, pop over later and thank them too.

I get postcards made up every month through vistaprint, and I sometimes pay the paper boy to do a leaflet drop for me.

hope some of that helps.:hug:

Latest posts

Back