Itching/reaction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbers83

Reaction score
Hi all , have been colouring a clients hair for around 8yrs with no issues at all. She previously had slices through top section then progressed to a half head tint ( mainly has it coloured to cover grey ) grey hair was predominantly on the top but the underneath has started to show a lot of grey so we decided to apply the usual colour as a full head instead of the half head . Skin test was fine so went ahead . Client was happy but mentioned on her next skin test (8weeks later)that her head was extremely itchy after the full head colour . Mainly round the underneath and it lasted for a few days. I carried out another skin test which again was fine so proceeded to colour the hair 48 hrs after skin test . Kept in contact with client for the first few days after colour and again she said it was very itchy. No other symptoms just the itching but I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I refuse to colour from now on ? I use wella and will be keeping eyes peeled at the wholsalers for wella innosense to test her with but nothing's showing up with the skin test so worried incase this turns into a severe reaction or am I stressing over nothing? Is it a case on sensitive skin rather than a reaction? Any advise would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lady that had this when we used to use a 12 base on her hair so she started to take piriton tablets and found it eased it completely you could maybe mention that to her? Also check her scalp for any scalp damage and the nape of her neck. Do a patch test with barrier cream or moisturiser and apply that around her hair line as that may help if you don't do that already. Also it maybe the shampoo she is sensitive
To straight after a colour?? I used to use a tea tree shampoo on one lady and she used to come up with that so changed it to a deep cleansing one and that was fine. x

Does she have any skin conditions? I get eczema when I'm stressed but it's always on my scalp pretty much and it is always quite dry and I need to use medicated shampoo and I get very itchy after having colour applied to scalp as I think it flares up my existing eczema.

I have skin tested myself and always fine but it's always sore and itchy after colour. I haven't applied colour to scalp for over a year now because of this but luckily I don't get grey hair...well only 2 so far!

Last edited:
Is it itchy untill she has washed it again at home? Is it possible that she is allergic to some shampoo or product you use?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for replies kwoodsy and nearlyme.
She has no skin conditions but has said her skin can be sensitive from time to time and I also thought it may be my shampoo but she says it's still itchy after her washing it too so im a bit baffled wether to continue colouring or not now ?

Can I ask how you mix your tint do you use scales?

Yes always use scales so I know the mix is spot on.

Id like to know the answer to this one too. Ive dome a load of skin tests at college and never had a negative reaction (well koleston) but last year I had my hair dyed at college (skin test passed) the last 10 minutes it felt like it was burning and I wanted to itch it so bad. I always pass the skin test but sometimes when my hairs being dyed it itches or burns other times its fine xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

Id like to know the answer to this one too. Ive dome a load of skin tests at college and never had a negative reaction (well koleston) but last year I had my hair dyed at college (skin test passed) the last 10 minutes it felt like it was burning and I wanted to itch it so bad. I always pass the skin test but sometimes when my hairs being dyed it itches or burns other times its fine xx

What colour do you have on your hair? I pass skin tests, but get burning itching & tingling with level 12, everything else is fine x

HairBy Amanda

I had koleston perfect 4/75 amd waa skin tested with 22/0 I think? My mums used affinage on me before and Ive had some mild itcging when its on my scalp but nothing like the koleston. Xx

Yes always use scales so I know the mix is spot on.

I know sorry I had to just ask, if you mix more tint to peroxide even the smallest amount it can cause irritation. And there a lot of stylists I've worked with who still mix colour 'the consistency they like'

No worries, I didn't take offence with u asking . Always best to check , as u say the wrong mixture could have been the problem . That's why I can't decide what to do for the best as can't see what the case could be other than a reaction. Thanks for your input tho!

Latest posts

Back