Job offer, does this sound right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileKat

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been offered a part time salon job but I'm not sure if the pay 'scheme' is the norm or even legal.

Basically I've been told that I'll need to bring double my weekly pay into the salon,
so,
say if I am paid £200 per week, I'll need to bring £400 into the salon. Anything above the £400 I bring into the salon I will receive 10% commision of that amount, does that make sense?

What happens if I dont bring in double my wage amount, is this a legal way to pay employees?

Thankyou in advance

If you go in self employed then sort of, but only a set % not altering ones. You will be employed and so the basic employee rights apply such as minimum wage etc.... Xoxo

I take it they are paying you an hourly rate aswell ?
So they pay you regardless of the amount you bring in ? Then if you earn them over the £400 mark you then get 10% of what's above, so 10% of £200 ?
Sounds fair to me as long as they pay you an hourly rate too !

Hi,

I've been offered a part time salon job but I'm not sure if the pay 'scheme' is the norm or even legal.

Basically I've been told that I'll need to bring double my weekly pay into the salon,
so,
say if I am paid £200 per week, I'll need to bring £400 into the salon. Anything above the £400 I bring into the salon I will receive 10% commision of that amount, does that make sense?

What happens if I dont bring in double my wage amount, is this a legal way to pay employees?

Thankyou in advance

Id say they mean that you will be paid £200 in hourly rate wages, then you will receive ten percent commission on anything above £400 so you take £500 in a week you would earn £200 basic pay and £10 commission (10% of £100)
This seems a low commission if you're intending being busy as on a take of £1000 you would earn just £260!

If someone offers you anything other than an hourly wage payed to you through paye then their employment proceedure is faulty and possibly illegal. I would avoid anything that sounds non standard.

Hi,

so,

Thankyou in advance

My very first job worked like this, only it was 3 x wage, not double and then you earned commision. It was Regis who employed me. So all your takings would go up on a board in the staff room to see if you were meeting targets. Nothing you could really do about it if you didn't have enough clients in, but the incentive was to reach your targets. Then if you were consistently going over 3 x your wage, when you had your review you would likely get a basic pay rise.

Sounds fine to me. All the best xx

Latest posts

Back