Joint advertising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La_belle_vie

Reaction score
Good evening fellow geeks I'm in two minds whether this is a good idea or not.
I rent a chair in a small salon, there's 2 hairdressers including myself and now 1 beautician. Today they both sprung on me that they were wanting to do a joint advertisement in a local magazine - half a page full colour good etc. The thing is I get the impression they are wanting me to advertise hair extensions rather than all of my hair services, I use Goldwell as opposed to wella and use more up to date techniques than the other stylist/salon owner. I can't help but feel that I'm getting stiffed because if I was a potential client reading the advert all I'd see is 1 beautician, 1 hairdresser and 1 hair extensionist.
What's everyone's thoughts?

My thought is, you get a third of the space your paying for and you can put what ever wording you like in it.
Or you can just put your own one out and have total control over what goes in it.
Or don't do it and when they get new clients they'll see what your doing and may like it more and book you in the future.
Or they might not have thought through it properly and just thought you might like to offer hair extensions along side there work to look like a multi service salon, talk to them about it. It might just be crossed wires.. Good luck xx

Ask them to put your info on or your not doing it, how will you share out the customers generated from it?

Ask them to put your info on or your not doing it, how will you share out the customers generated from it?

See that's the bit I don't understand really and having 2 totally different stylist using different products and prices on the one advert??
I've messaged the salon owner about it and still haven't heard anything

Honestly, I wouldn't do it, there's no way you can share the customers generated fairly without specifying on the advert that I.e Sarah uses this product, suzie uses this product etc, it just wouldn't fit on the ad or look good, if you really think that advertising in the magazine is a good idea (have you researched magazine advertising?) then advertise in it yourself, do it as (your name) at this salon, ask for you only kind of thing, I can't see that your going to get any reward for your input of cash otherwise

The more I think about it the more I realise it's gonna be a waste of my time and money. I haven't even had a simple yes or no reply from the salon owner regarding my question.
I'll stick to my business plan and get on with doing my own advertising, I mean if I'm getting ladies travelling from all over to get their hair done with me I must be doing something right?

Right! ☺️

The smartest thing would be for the three of you to draw up the contents and imagery of the advert collectively and in unanimously. Keep it neutral so you all benefit. You do not need to mention pricing or product brand names. mention the service, the quality, the deal, the benefit, the location. Is there a deal a discount, what ever, mention that and get the customer in the door first, then worry about who uses which product or who charge what. Anything else is pointless and the customer will not really see your advert.

The smartest thing would be for the three of you to draw up the contents and imagery of the advert collectively and in unanimously. Keep it neutral so you all benefit. You do not need to mention pricing or product brand names. mention the service, the quality, the deal, the benefit, the location. Is there a deal a discount, what ever, mention that and get the customer in the door first, then worry about who uses which product or who charge what. Anything else is pointless and the customer will not really see your advert.

It's not unanimous that's the thing. The beautician wants her logo the salon owner wants her logo as it's her salon so what about mine? I didn't really appreciate them springing it on me whilst I'm in the middle of doing a client with the magazine guy already there. It's just another thing in a long list that's getting my back up that need sorting out before I even consider committing to X months of unanimous advertising

It's not the best approach. Sounds a mess.
I would stay out of it. You may still gain clients.

Latest posts

Back