Judging a book by the cover, or a product by its packaging

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
When it comes to selecting a product for your own use, or a range for your business, how much are you influenced by the packaging?
I think, perhaps, more than you realise.
What are your thoughts?

Im not professional yet but if im buying for myself 100% even if the product was amazing I wouldn't buy it if the packaging was crap. I have a huge soap and glory collection probably not the best products in the world but they all look so pretty in bathroom together:p

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm guilty as charged, I'm a sucker for a classy box but also whatever it is needs a nice fragrance, nothing too overpowering but enough to know it's there.

If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a product for myself or business then yes I want it to look good too - however if it's a small priced item like a pot of barrier cream then who cares lol

I wanted to take on a second skin are range a few years ago and contacted a couple of suppliers .

One of the first things a distributor thought to try and sell me a particular range with was , that the packaging was divine ..:eek:

Yes, ok ,of course the packaging has to be attractive but to me it's not a main selling point . If thats what they are using to push a product , it can't be that good , can it? That's one of the reasons I didn't go with that range .

I think it helps when presenting the image of a brand when it's the whole package that says quality, but I need the product to live up to expectation so alone it is not enough.

I'm weird when it comes to nice packaging for personal stuff though. Recently I made myself get rid of most of my Thomas Sabo packaging because it was getting silly, but I've kept a couple of boxes/bags. I have no idea why I hoard this sort of thing. I've even got the Selfridges bag from my new watch. I've got the box and all of that from the watch brand, but what the heck am I going to do with a Selfridges bag? A big fat nothing, that's what.

I was just reading the Eds news about the Christian Laboutin nail varnish being released in August.They are supposed to be mini works of art and are $50.No matter how pretty they maybe I couldn't spend that much on a varnish and if its that pretty would you want to use it.
I'm sure just for the bottle and the name they will run out of stock and they will be on ebay for lots more than retail price and also be copied.
I wonder what the actual varnish is like.

http://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en/nail-lacquer-rouge-louboutin.html

When it comes to selecting a product for your own use, or a range for your business, how much are you influenced by the packaging?
I think, perhaps, more than you realise.
What are your thoughts?

If you are looking to sell product then I think it is important the products fit in with experience that you are selling. Think about the 'halo effect' if a consumer likes the scent etc, they will percieve the produce to perform better. Also the studies with wine that demonstrate the higher the price, the more value is placed on a certain item.

I have a somewhat ametuer interest in cosmetic chemistry, but still I will lap up anything my aveda guy sells to me because I love the brand.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I 110% choose something on the packaging. For example - shampoo and conditioner. who wants a dull-looking bottle on their bath if new visitors come? I am a sucker for anything that's remotely sparkly or pink (not both together) or clear...I would love it if they did a toothpaste tube that had clear toothpaste and it too was clear. Such a loser :o

I agree with another poster, if you're looking to retail then packaging is key, along with a brilliant product of course.

However in our line of work, if you know the product is brilliant, but the packaging isn't top notch, I wouldn't let that put me off because the most important thing is for the product to perform.

Sent from my MediaPad 10 LINK using SalonGeek mobile app

Personally I think I may be a product snob.
People telling me not to buy an expensive lipstick, because I'm just paying for the packaging.......Well yeah, that's the point, the packaging lets everyone know its an expensive lipstick!

I was just reading the Eds news about the Christian Laboutin nail varnish being released in August.They are supposed to be mini works of art and are $50.No matter how pretty they maybe I couldn't spend that much on a varnish and if its that pretty would you want to use it.
I'm sure just for the bottle and the name they will run out of stock and they will be on ebay for lots more than retail price and also be copied.
I wonder what the actual varnish is like.

http://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en/nail-lacquer-rouge-louboutin.html

I want it. It would look so pretty sitting on my bathroom shelf

Latest posts

Back