Just starting out, clueless!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel90

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I really need some help with how to start my business etc. I live with my parents and have a summerhouse in the garden which is going to be my home 'salon'. I will also offer mobile treatments. I am currently qualified in gel polish, gel extensions, sculpted gel, lash and brow tinting and lash lifting. This is all I want to offer for the time being. I will be starting it as a part time, side business due to working full time in administration.
Now I know I need insurance - I've looked at Beauty Guild and BABTAC however I'm not sure what package would suit me best. I know I need to declare taxes etc but I have no idea about how this works, how to do it, when I need to do it or anything!
I think I have a name sorted but there is a salon in the UK with the same name. Not in my area - what are the rules around this?
I would like to build up my confidence in the treatments so have spoken to friends and family about having them as models. I assume I need insurance etc prior to carrying out these treatments too?

I really don't know where to start! I am extremely grateful for any help given. Thank you x

If you're building up your confidence first then don't bother about the other stuff until you're ready to start charging. Just get some insurance (basic one from Salon Gold, Salon Secure, Professional Beauty, ABT) will do for that. Then when you're ready you phone up HMRC, register as a sole trader and then just keep records of everything you earn and spend money on. They have all the info on their website. They will also tell you when to send a tax return. You can be a sole trader and still keep your job by the way, it doesn't affect that at all. I would concentrate on building your skills first though.

If you're building up your confidence first then don't bother about the other stuff until you're ready to start charging. Just get some insurance (basic one from Salon Gold, Salon Secure, Professional Beauty, ABT) will do for that. Then when you're ready you phone up HMRC, register as a sole trader and then just keep records of everything you earn and spend money on. They have all the info on their website. They will also tell you when to send a tax return. You can be a sole trader and still keep your job by the way, it doesn't affect that at all. I would concentrate on building your skills first though.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm going to be charging a small amount whilst using models, just to cover costs. Will this need to be declared or will I be ok to do it just with the insurance until charging full price?

PamieD are there any apps you could recommend for appointment books, client records and accounts? Xx

Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm going to be charging a small amount whilst using models, just to cover costs. Will this need to be declared or will I be ok to do it just with the insurance until charging full price?

Yes you'll have to start your business if you're charging, even if it's a small amount.

PamieD are there any apps you could recommend for appointment books, client records and accounts? Xx
Not for client records or diary but I always liked VT Cash Book as it's free and easy to use.

I use ovatu for client records and diary I love it! Xx

Its also a good idea to get your business branded, logo, business card, Pricelist, leaflets etc.. Check out Carl from Verve Designs, he's the graphic man that can that doesn't charge the earth :) he actually offers a bundle package of design which is affordable www.facebook.com/VerveDesigns xx

Its also a good idea to get your business branded, logo, business card, Pricelist, leaflets etc.. Check out Carl from Verve Designs, he's the graphic man that can that doesn't charge the earth :) he actually offers a bundle package of design which is affordable www.facebook.com/VerveDesigns xx

Thank you, I'll definitely check him out as I've seen others recommend him! I need to think of a business name which I think is probably the most difficult part!

Latest posts

Back