Just starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gristysgirl

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new mum and have decided that rather than returning back to my old job in March, i would take the plunge and set up my own nail business from home. Its something i have thought about for a while but havnt had the nerve to do it until now.

I am starting a online NVQ L3 shortly and looking to go in to Shellac, any help and advice for a new business and someone who is new to nails would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks xx

Hi and Welcome to Salon Geek

If you are doing an online course, but definitely want to use Shellac best phone Sweet Squared and check they will accept the qualification in order to buy Shellac. If you don't have an approved qualification you can't legitimately buy Shellac.

My advice would be to enjoy this site, there are so many threads to read and so much to learn. The nails & biz forums are great as many people have been in the position you are now so there are lot's of threads covering most questions, and things you haven't even thought about yet!

Last edited:
I always thought you had to do level 2 before doing level 3? I maybe wrong but thats what I have been told.

Why dont you look in to training with cnd or nsi rather than an online course :)

Brilliant idea!

I'm in the same process as well.

But I work full time as well. So gotta manage with limited time until I can build up my business.

Can't comment on the online course as I haven't done any.

Good luck with it all! :))

Thank you for all the advice, will definately be searching through this site for lots of useful tips and advice.

I am looking to book this on line course Course Overview

If it is no good i would appreciate someone letting me know before i waste my money on it, it looks ok to me but some of guys with more experience my think otherwise?!

Will definately give sweet squared a call to check it is ok, the last thing i want is not to be able to buy their products.

I have been looking at online course as it means i can work from home and fit it around my little one.

that course isnt an NVQ. I haven't heard of that training company so cant really advise. It doesn't say if it is accredited by beauty guild or any other insurance companies so that is another thing to check as you need a course that is recognized by insurance companies in order to get insurance.

Full of pretty pictures and empty promises of how much you can earn! In my opinion, just looking for gullible people to come along so they can take their money. I think you would be very surprised at the minuscule percentage of people who do home learn courses, who actually ever have any kind of a significant business after having done it, without going on to do allot more hands on training.

I appreciate you have a little one .... If you really want to learn on a quality course badly enough, you will find a way to get care arranged. I can guarantee that after this so called course, you will not feel confident and you will not be confident or competent and you will finish with few if any skill sets at all.

I understand you to say you want to start a home business but if you want that to be a successful venture then I would go for face to face hands on traing WHEN you can do it properly and with the support of someone to look after your child. Seriously.

Last edited:
Full of pretty pictures and empty promises of how much you can earn! In my opinion, just looking for gullible people to come along so they can take their money. I think you would be very surprised at the minuscule percentage of people who do home learn courses, who actually ever have any kind of a significant business after having done it, without going on to do allot more hands on training.

I appreciate you have a little one .... If you really want to learn on a quality course badly enough, you will find a way to get care arranged. I can guarantee that after this so called course, you will not feel confident and you will not be confident or competent and you will finish with few if any skill sets at all.

I understand you to say you want to start a home business but if you want that to be a successful venture then I would go for face to face hands on traing WHEN you can do it properly and with the support of someone to look after your child. Seriously.

I have to say I totally agree with Gigi. These courses look good in principle but the reality is another thing altogether.

Go on the CND course, yes you will have to get childcare but its not for very long and it's a sure investment for you and your families future,whereas I feel these home course are pretty much worthless.

Something as practical as nails or beauty requires hands on, face to face communication. You need someone to give you advice, show you techniques and to critique you as you go along properly.

Good luck in whichever road you take,

Totally agree with the advice already given, I've known friends to have done home courses and even at college that feel like they need more training and end up paying more in the long run.

I'm 26 with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Hubby in the army who is always away and family 3 hours away!! I'm saving up and will be doing CND enhance course when the time is right, no point wasting time and money on a lesser course.

I've had training for gel polish and kooky wraps and that keeps my passion alive for now and a small client base (just moved to a new area so I'm getting there ;) )

Hth... pm if you want any advice or support, being a parent and pursuing a career is never easy xx

Like someone has said before, this isn't an NVQ course, it's an NCFE qualification which is equivalent to a few GSCEs. You won't be able to get insurance with it. Please don't waste you money missy, I know it's hard as I too had to work around my two kids but nothing is better than doing it properly with an actual tutor assessing your work and gaining a proper qualification and being able to get insurance. Home course don't really have a great reputation because 9 times out of 10 they are not worth the paper they are written on. I really hope you find something and get qualified and take the nail world by storm xx

Latest posts

Back