Kids in salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlee-c

Reaction score
I know sometimes it can't be helped but I hate it when my clients bring their children with them to an appointment. Some of the sit nicely and are no bother at all and some well...they are the devil child! I had a 3yr old yesterday jumping on my chairs I have recently opened this salon after being in a hairdressers and I'm shocked to see that some parents have little respect for my place. I glare at the children and it usually stops but how can I politely say to clients I don't want children in the salon?

Thanks
X

The other day one of my clients was popping in for a lip wax. We have just moved and have a lot more space. She said she would leave the 3 boys in the car. I suggested she bring them in as it was just us and we have plenty of room. After telling them to leave my new HD chair alone several times and then asking then not to put their feet on the sofa, I turned to their mum and said "maybe leave them in the car next time".

If kids are good I don't mind if it's a quick appointment but I would say something along the lines of "its not an ideal place to bring children" or maybe put a sign on the wall!!!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

The other day one of my clients was popping in for a lip wax. We have just moved and have a lot more space. She said she would leave the 3 boys in the car. I suggested she bring them in as it was just us and we have plenty of room. After telling them to leave my new HD chair alone several times and then asking then not to put their feet on the sofa, I turned to their mum and said "maybe leave them in the car next time".

If kids are good I don't mind if it's a quick appointment but I would say something along the lines of "its not an ideal place to bring children" or maybe put a sign on the wall!!!

Vic x

(Hijack warning lol!)

I can totally understand where your coming from, as it's not always convenient! she probably knew herself they would be a bit of a nightmare that's why she suggested leaving them in the car, which may I point out is ILEGAL! Do you remember all that controversy of it being in the press a little while ago!!? I had a to do with some nosey woman only last wk when I left MY daughter in the car (she is 5 & wanted to stay willingly in it, she wasn't upset, she was playing on her tablet, I would of had more bother getting her out!!) anyway I nipped into a shop, came out & this silly cow was waiting for me, proceeded to tell me how disgusting I was, I was quite calm & told her to get a life!! It was actually quite funny because I was carrying alcohol (a thank you for someone!) she said to me "oh leaving your daughter whilst you go & buy wine, that's disgusting!" Then I quickly replied "it's slightly more upmarket than wine, it prosecco & I'm going to drink it whilst I driving!!" She said that wouldn't surprise her! at which point I told her to get a life once more & drove off!!! So I would be careful about people poking their noses in, if I remember rightly your in the middle of nowhere, but just a word of warning about you or clients suggesting to leave children in the car!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

It's just annoying you spend so much time and money getting your salon the way you want for kids to come in and spoil things.i was doing an eyebrow wax on a client who brought her 6yr old boy he was sat on my newly upholstered louis style chair and started pulling the trim off! If looks could kill he would be dead. I think I'm going to have to put a notice up somewhere

Xx

It's just annoying you spend so much time and money getting your salon the way you want for kids to come in and spoil things.i was doing an eyebrow wax on a client who brought her 6yr old boy he was sat on my newly upholstered louis style chair and started pulling the trim off! If looks could kill he would be dead. I think I'm going to have to put a notice up somewhere

Xx

I find it quite amazing in the first place that these kids would even dare attempt to do this!! Yes children are naturally inquisitive, but this is just destructive!! I have a 5 & 7 yr old and there is no way on this earth doing something like that would even cross their minds!! Did you say anything to his mum!? I would've done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

This is slightly different as I am hoping to start working from home (doing eyelash extensions) and due to this situation I have actually put it in my terms and conditions to say that they must attend appointment alone to ensure that I can give my full attention and concentration to the procedure/treatment. I just think that as it will also be in my home I have no spare space for seating etc for people wishing to accompany them on their appointment.

The lady that actually does my eyelashes has told me stories in the past where people have brought their kids along and one time she actually had to sit rocking a baby in her car seat with her foot whilst doing the mums lashes!

I would just say something along the lines of "due to insurance purposes unfortunately we cannot accommodate children" I have had enough badly behaved children in the clinic to make me want to staple my womb shut

I had this problem when I use to work at home. I would tell clients no children, the majority would not bring their offspring, but some would try..

And when they did try, I would politely ask them at the door to re book as I wasn't insured to have their kids in my home salon.

And yes I did lose clients, but if they can't respect my rules in my home!

I know this sounds harsh, but Salons are not suitable places for children as they can be dangerous place due to the equipment and products we have.

PET HATE !!!!

I will not tolerate children in a Salon and I specifically chose my up market hair salon to avoid this . I go to relax and can't stand kids running around having absolutely no respect for the place and the mothers being equally as bad . I was once working in a salon and apologies of this offends but some people came into the salon ,two women with 8 children in tow from the age of new born to about 7 . It was horrendous , loud and dam right rude . I would casually send out a generic email/ letter to all customers about any more offers or changes to the salon and somewhere add in for insurance reasons children are not allowed info the salon . X

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to. My salon isn't going to last two mins if kids are coming in wrecking the place!
I had a client bring her kid to sit whiles she had a facial I mean come on it's ridiculous!!
Thanks ladies

No to kids that are out of the pushchair, we are not childminders, too many sharp objects, hot items.

A friend had a display knocked over once by children running around, the display alone cost £250, the mother never offered to pay for it before she left, though she did a week later when she was sent a copy of the invoice

We get them all the time! Kicking chairs, nail desk, touching spatulas, barbicide etc etc. I always say in a firm voice "if you touch that and it gets broke your mam will have that to pay for". Its hard though isnt it. We are always held to ransom by clients! I had one the other day, the mam was getting lashes done and her 14 month old was in the pushchair and of course she started as soon as her mam closed her eyes. So im afraid i unleashed the dare stare on her. Worked a treat!

Just did a quick search on the subject as I'm currently facing this as a problem.

I have a girl renting a nail desk and on the whole it works well but she does have clients who bring their children & for me it can be an issue. Not only do we have expensive kit in the salon but also some expensive treatments & I for one wouldn't want to be paying £70 for a facial and hearing children running about or crying (I had a baby in last week!!!)

It's causing an issue as she's losing clients over my policy which I really don't want to happen but I feel that for my business it's the right thing to do. How difficult has it been for others & have you lost business over it?

I think its a no brainer. No kids full stop.

We can welcome kids on occasion but like you, kids and facials don't go.

If a client asks if they can bring a baby I will check what's in. If it's just nails or a day when I'm on my own I don't have a problem with it. We are in the middle of nowhere and occasionally we have clients turn up with their dogs - a whole new set of problems lol.

Vic x

This subject has been brought up so many times. So for the record:

CHILDREN IN SALONS ARE NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE.

Sorry for the rant. Please check with your own provider as they may possibly cover them but over the years I've used 3 of the best and they all had this policy.

Aside from that I bloody hate them anyway so they are totally barred.

Yes I am a bitch!

Sorry for the rant. Please check with your own provider as they may possibly cover them but over the years I've used 3 of the best and they all had this policy.

Yes I am a bitch!

Lady after my own heart!

Yes I am a bitch!

you said it sister x

Latest posts

Back