Knee replacement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any experiences/advice of knee replacements in the elderly (83) or any thing to try ie supports,physio,acupuncture supplements to help with warn out joints combined with rheumatoid arthritis.Thankyou...Gill.

Can anyone give me any experiences/advice of knee replacements in the elderly (83) or any thing to try ie supports,physio,acupuncture supplements to help with warn out joints combined with rheumatoid arthritis.Thankyou...Gill.

Hi Gill
My Grandma had a knee replacement 3yrs ago this November. Its been a good experience for her and she will be 88 this year. She has always ridden a push bike and determined to continue doing so, the physiotherapist was over the moon she had such an ambitious goal to work towards! My Gran was absolutely strict with herself on doing the daily excercises that the physio dept had given her...she still does them now...and as the consultant said, people think youre daft but you can tell who is doing their excercises and who isnt. Gran is back riding her bike, doing her gardening and is so glad she had it done even tho she was worried it wouldnt be a success. A very positive experience for her. I cant really advise you what do regarding supports or the other things you mentioned as every case is different but physio was great in my Gran's case.
Hope I've helped a bit .

Thankyou.I just thought my mum must surely be too old to go through with a replacement when they mentioned it may be the only solution.I know she would do any exercises she is a youngster trapped in an old body,bless her.

Hi. My mother-in-law has had 2 new knees. She is 70. She had the Bowen technique & absolutely swore by it. I have used Bowen for torn muscles and sciatica and other things. It is definitely worth a try. I was amazed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My nan had one a few years ago & it healed really quickly although my mum, who is a nurse, used to moan at her to keep doing her exercises & keep moving as this will help & shes fine now! Apart from the big scar. I try and give that leg a good massage when i do her pedicures.

We all have bad knees In my family, nan auntie mum me & my sister, although a school hockey accident didn't do hers any good. I know we will all eventually have replacements but i try and take glycosamine sulphate tablets while I'm young to help and obviously weight is a big factor! When i get to 80 i would get one, they're quiet routine and simple ops & it brings you back to life

My nan had a knee replacement about 7 years ago. She almost couldnt walk before, and after a little stay in hospital, and 3 weeks of me helping round the house and letting nurses in (to change bandages etc) and doing her physio with her, she healed and has never looked back! To this day she is still doing well with it and has never had any probs. Its so hard when its our elders, but its amazing how tough they can be.

I have many 'older' clients who have had knee replacements and said it's simply the best thing they have had done. Life changing for one lady! Sorry I know nothing more in the way of other treatments/remedies, but think the op sounds a lot worse than it is if that helps x

Thankyou very much ladies.She sees the consultant in September for a decision.Things look more promising now.

I have major knee problems. They wouldn't dream of replacing then yet due to my age and the fact that they only last so long. I've had three lateral releases and the extensor mechanism all realigned. A lot of my symptoms were/are what you would consider a replacement for later in life.

Knee supports are fantastic, the adjustable ones with the straps on them are best as they are comfier but if the knee is very unstable a neoprene pull on with a knee hole is the best. They can be rubbish in hot weather (my tan line from before my op earlier this month is fantastic!!!) but it's worth it. You can't sleep in them. Don't spend a fortune £25 from boots etc is about right.

I tried glucosamine but didn't notice a big change, cod liver oil is good for the joints though.

Massage is painful and is now a big no go zone around my scars.

Heat and ice is one of the best pain relief methods. Hot water bottle= cheap and reusable and I always keep a small bag of ice in the freezer, just wrap it up before using for about 20 mins a few times a day. Only ice post op though.

PHYSIO PHYSIO PHYSIO, it's the only thing which makes any major difference before and after surgery. A good physio is a must, they have to be able to push you as the exercises get boring and can be painful. Im back on the exercise bike at mine in a week, oh the joys :rolleyes: hehe.

Sorry if this sounds a little bleak, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, most people find that after a full replacement they feel fantastic and anyone who I know that has had one has recovered very fast. If she isn't sure, get a second opinion, don't feel pressured into anything.

Latest posts

Back