L&P over silk overlay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sass

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

After reading many older threads concerning Gel over L&P and fiberglass with L&P & Gels - it lead me to pondering...whether L&P can be overlayed on Silk/fiberglass overlays?

Or is it a case of silk strip for repair then L&P overlay?

I use silk with my UV Gels for added strength & repairs, but can't find through a search whether silk can be used in conjuction with L&P...

Thanks Geeks, look forward to reading your replies xx:hug:

Last edited:
I don't believe that out of the 241 geeks viewing this forum that none of you know something about this :lol:

I promise I don't bite, I'm friendly - come on - help out a fellow geek :lol: :hug:

I keep being told that if I don't ask, I don't get the answers & I hate not knowing the answers xx

Hi Sass,

To be honest I'm not quite sure when you would need to use both systems. I'm an educator in South Wales and I have never heard of using silk under L&P or gel. Would love to be corrected if I am missing something.

Maybe you could concentrate on mastering a good apex in your nails for the strength your clients need, rather than complicating it with two systems.

Hope that helps

Jody x

Hi Sass, I have used Fibreglass under L+P before as the girl in question had ripped her nail quite low and although the wound was no longer open or sore, I felt it necessary to create a 'barrier' between that and the L+P. I also use it under SOG to mend small splits in nails so my ladies don't have to lose length and if I deem their nails weak due to damage to give then that little bit of strength.
I had no issues with lifting - u can't see it thru the L+P - I wouldn't however use it 'over' a Fibreglass/silk overlay purely because I just don't think it's needed. I use Star Nails Fibreglass Pre Cut - as its sticky backed you just place it on the nail and the Fibreglass doesn't move when u then apply the L+P over the top. Worked a treat :) Hope that helps Hun :)

That was the PERFECT answer I was lookig for xx

My wording was terrible ( I know what I meant) LOL

Thank you, one of my clients has a nasty tear low down on her nail and I always use silk with a gel overlay, but I believe she is better suited to L&P as the UV gel is not strong enough on her and I wasn't sure if the technique for L&P would be the same as Gel.

Again thank you for taking the time to answer :Love:

No problem :) glad to be of help I just kept a beady eye on the nail but to be honest the next time I saw her it had already grown passed the nail bed. I believe as long as the area is properly cleansed and no longer sore or open its fine :)

Does the beads have to be slightly wetter than normal to penetrate through the acrylic?

No Hun, no need to work any wetter :) just work with the system you use as u would normally :)

No Hun, no need to work any wetter :) just work with the system you use as u would normally :)
You're a STAR!! Thank you VERY much, will call her and take it from there xx

Latest posts

Back