L+P reaction??? or is it the acrylic setting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there,

I hd my first ever 'panic' earlier! I had a new client for l&p enhancements. She says she had them before, never had a reaction etc.. Of course; i completed the full consultation with her, medical history etc BEFORE treatment. There was no reason not to apply the l&p so went ahead as per usual...

When i was working on the second hand, the client said her thumb on the other had was 'burning' on the nail. I then asked her again if she'd ever had a reaction before and she said no, and as quick as that she said the sensation had gone. It lasted a few seconds and stopped as quick as it had started. She said 'perhaps i have a cut on my nail or something?' I explained that i had checked her nails first and that there werent any that i could see and that it could possibly just have been the acrylic setting. (I had been told about this sometimes happening - not all clients feel it but some do.. ). I then explained in much more details about allergies etc, signs to look out for etc. Explained that client needs to inform me if she has a reaction and that the enhancements would need to be removed.
She then tells me as im finishing the set that 'mybe it could be the glue' ?? She said she uses a similar glue for her hair extensions and that sometimes that causes her scalp to burn for a few seconds..! I have no idea about what glue you use in hair extensions but as this sensation only happend on one nail and it was after the l&p was applied i thought it was unlikely to be the glue that i used for the tip...

Anyway, ive written the conversation down on the clients record card etc to cover myself..
This is the first 'niggle' ive ever had to deal with so can someone please tellme whether ive handled it right / wrong???:eek:
Also, i just renewed my insurance earlier today and it was funny - the lady on the phone told me that if i ever felt like a client might claim - even just an inkling of a feeling to inform the insurance company straight away so its on record should the client ever actually make a claim...
I dont see any reason for there to be a claim, client was very happy with her nails and has booked for infill but do you think this is one of those occasions where i should ring ins company to cover myself just in case or should i just chill out! lol!

Hi there,

I hd my first ever 'panic' earlier! I had a new client for l&p enhancements. She says she had them before, never had a reaction etc.. Of course; i completed the full consultation with her, medical history etc BEFORE treatment. There was no reason not to apply the l&p so went ahead as per usual...

When i was working on the second hand, the client said her thumb on the other had was 'burning' on the nail. I then asked her again if she'd ever had a reaction before and she said no, and as quick as that she said the sensation had gone. It lasted a few seconds and stopped as quick as it had started. She said 'perhaps i have a cut on my nail or something?' I explained that i had checked her nails first and that there werent any that i could see and that it could possibly just have been the acrylic setting. (I had been told about this sometimes happening - not all clients feel it but some do.. ).
I would say that it was just the l & p setting. My mum has had a similar thing herself before, this was due to her nail plate being thin and she could feel it setting also that particular time when i was doing my mums nails, i was working too wet and from what i remember after someone explained it to me ,its very similar to when somone feels the heat when having gels done iykwim and they get heat spike.
Im not v good at explaining things but basically its when the molecules are joining together they cause heat ( which normally u cant feel) and when l & p is applied using the right ratio , theres the right mixture of initiator and catalyst. If you work wetter than your meant to that means theres normally more of one than the other and this can cause heat to build up because more of these are molecules trying to join together more quickly thus creating more heat .......( hopefully one of the more experienced techs will explain a bit better and put right if ive got it wrong :lol:)

I then explained in much more details about allergies etc, signs to look out for etc. Explained that client needs to inform me if she has a reaction and that the enhancements would need to be removed.
She then tells me as im finishing the set that 'mybe it could be the glue' ?? She said she uses a similar glue for her hair extensions and that sometimes that causes her scalp to burn for a few seconds..! I have no idea about what glue you use in hair extensions but as this sensation only happend on one nail and it was after the l&p was applied i thought it was unlikely to be the glue that i used for the tip...

Anyway, ive written the conversation down on the clients record card etc to cover myself..
This is the first 'niggle' ive ever had to deal with so can someone please tellme whether ive handled it right / wrong???:eek:
Also, i just renewed my insurance earlier today and it was funny - the lady on the phone told me that if i ever felt like a client might claim - even just an inkling of a feeling to inform the insurance company straight away so its on record should the client ever actually make a claim...
I dont see any reason for there to be a claim, client was very happy with her nails and has booked for infill but do you think this is one of those occasions where i should ring ins company to cover myself just in case or should i just chill out! lol!

Id say you did the right thing writing it down on her record card and that you dealt with it well, i also think its unlikely to be the resin as it would have happened to all her nails not just that one. Im more inclined to tink that maybe you used too wetter bead on that nail thus causing the "heat" feeling.

Haze x

hi, thanks for your reply! Ive never heard about a wet bead causing that.. i was having to wok a little wetter than usual as it was so warm in the flat due to the heating being on full! So, if thats a poss cause then maybe your right... Do you know if there are there usually any complications when this happens?

lol! sorry - ive just re-read my posts and my spelling is terrible! I can spell well but am sat here typing with one hand and whilst feeding my 5 month old in my other arm! MULTI TAKSING!! lol!:green:

hi, thanks for your reply! Ive never heard about a wet bead causing that.. i was having to wok a little wetter than usual as it was so warm in the flat due to the heating being on full! So, if thats a poss cause then maybe your right... Do you know if there are there usually any complications when this happens?

I know what you mean about having to have the heating on full :lol:

When it happened to my mum, she didnt have any problems but the only thing that i can think of that might happen is possibly a bit of lifting ....which isnt a major issue.
Sorry im not much help !!
Hopefully tomorrow ,when some more geeks are logged on ,theyll be able to help a bit more.

Haze x

It's called an exothermic reaction - if you use the search option for the word exothermic you'll find some great explanations and information.

A quick explanation is when two chemicals react with each other they create heat, the setting acrylic is a chemical reaction which will cause heat. I get it really badly on my thumbs with gel, and Poppits too. It's also more common on thumbs as you use a bigger bead. Those with thin nails will experience it more, it hurts a bit, but passes really quickly. Working too wet can make it worse.

Latest posts

Back