L+P with gel top?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissylaw

Reaction score
Hi all
I have recently seem some nail tutorials on YouTube where the lass was using tips with the powder and liquid method. She was mixing glitter into the powder first and then instead of using top coat she was painting a gel overlay then curi ng. I wondered if anyone else used this and firstly if it is just normal glitter that which you might use with a glitter mixer and also what the benefits of a gel coating over top coat are? I've been dissuaded from using gel as I hear it is quite pourus and may yellow from sunlight exposure and also doesn't this make it impossible to remove with remover and refresh the top coat something u can easily do with top coat?
Many thanks

I am not qualified so will answer as a client of a nail salon. Our local salon uses gel topcoats as opposed to a polish topcoat or buffing. They use NSI systems so either ue Glaze and Go or Perma Gloss.

With regard to the glitter, I read somewhere it is a 1:3 glitter to powder ratio but am sure a pro can clarify.

Hi all
I have recently seem some nail tutorials on YouTube where the lass was using tips with the powder and liquid method. She was mixing glitter into the powder first and then instead of using top coat she was painting a gel overlay then curi ng. I wondered if anyone else used this and firstly if it is just normal glitter that which you might use with a glitter mixer and also what the benefits of a gel coating over top coat are? I've been dissuaded from using gel as I hear it is quite pourus and may yellow from sunlight exposure and also doesn't this make it impossible to remove with remover and refresh the top coat something u can easily do with top coat?
Many thanks

Hello there! You can certainly add regular glitter to your powders to change the look - but you want to make sure not to add too much or it will contribute to product breakdown. I have seen it many times where techs have add a 1 to 1 ratio of powder to glitter and they look nice, but there isn't enough acrylic powder to hold on to the strenght.

I prefer to add a gel topcoat to my l&p clients nails because it gives them a permanent topcoat that stays super shiny until they come for a maintenance. Gel topcoats are NOT porous - unless it is a soak off gel. I haven't heard any complaints about yellowing and most of the techs in my area use INM Clear Glaze or Brisa's gel topcoat.

Hope this helps

Melanie

Hi thanks I think I will research the glitter powder ratio and have a go then look at getting a gel top coat as I love nail art and I bet it will preseve it for longer x

i was looking into starting this too but waiting til i can afford a decent lamp.
can anyone also answer whether a gel topcoat can be put over regular varnish?
if for instance i did l&p, then painted a design on with varnish.

(sorry for jumping in on your thread but thought my question came under the same idea really)

the ratio of glitter to powder does not really matter ...it all depends on how dense you want it to look..... you could have it with very little or loads. The important thing is to work thinly with it as part of your enhancement and build the structure of your nail with clear over the top.... this could be clear polymer or clear gel.....i have seen quite a few people do tips with liquid and powder then build the rest of the nail with a builder gel. Or you could build the nail with clear powder and monomer.
Its up to you how you finish... either buff of use my gel top coat.

i was looking into starting this too but waiting til i can afford a decent lamp.
can anyone also answer whether a gel topcoat can be put over regular varnish?
if for instance i did l&p, then painted a design on with varnish.

(sorry for jumping in on your thread but thought my question came under the same idea really)

usually gel top coats cannot be put over enamel as they need a rough filed surface to bond with. However i know star nails do one called quattro which can be put over enamel and acrylic enhancements

I think i know which person you are referring to.. she isn't a pro so she does things her way and they work for her.. She uses a gel top coat.. it's called Highgloss tackless sealer, and you do cure it under a UV lamp. i use it also.. and her videos have helped me learn to mix my own acrylics with the glitter with the right mix ratio. In my opinion i love the sealer especially over the glitter it makes it look like glass and is supper shiny. You do have to buff it off and regular nail polish won't stay on it if put over the top.. it just peels off.

Hi thanks for that yup that sounds like the person she states she isn't a pro this is just her way! It's a shame so many people who up load videos get hateful responses just because they do things slghtly different. I'm just studying and I am astounded and the different technique you can incorporate.

Latest posts

Back