Lady wants free nails from over a year ago!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Last year around this time my exhaust broke off and a lady helped me take it off so it wasn't dragging and I could drive it home. I have her a card and told her to give me a call and I would do her a complimentary set of nails to say thanks.

I have just received a text now, a year later asking for the free nails lol. The lady said that her daughter was diagnosed with cancer after I gave me her card and just getting round to things and would like some nails done for Xmas.

I would of happily done them if she had text maybe 3-6 months but not a whole year.

I have just started my new job due to needing money and business is slow so I am doing my shellac and nails on the side so every appointment I have is time and money and I can't afford to go and do a free set of nails at the moment.

Just surprised to have a text a year later.

What should I do? Maybe offer a % off? X x

I have to say, I wouldn't think twice about it. As said, you didn't put a time limit on it and she did give you a valid reason for not contacting you.

If it helps, think of it not as much as giving away free time and product but as advertising - you never know, she may love her nails so much that you end up with a lovely new client.

Plus, her friends/family may see her nails and you may find that you end up really busy... and all from the result of paying back a favour :)

Just tell her you're really sorry (and mean it) that you're fully booked up until Christmas as it's your busiest time of year and that you would be more than happy to do it in the New Year or whenever she wants after that. Explain that, just like a hair salon, you need to book appointments early.

A lot of clients don't understand that we're busy too but as soon as I compare myself to the hairdressers in regards to appointments, they start to get it.

Could you not squeeze her in after your last appt? As a one off, as it'd be returning a favour. She would go away saying, what a lovely lady, so kind she fit me in even though she's so busy and I helped her over a year ago...and look at my amazing nails. No better advert than a passionate recommendation.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I would do it without question and remembering how she helped you.

But it has to be said, if you are fully booked before she plans to go out, then you are fully booked.

How about offering a space next week (or whenever) and throw in an ickle bottle of solar oil or polish her toenails for free simply towards making up for not being able to fit her it when she wanted (she could have given a bit more notice ideally!) Costs next to nothing but will be a sweetener. Love jigglyballs suggestion too and I hope her daughter is ok but this could be awkward if you offer depending on how her illness has progressed.

And you don't want to look like you offered but wasn't expecting to actually fulfil.

Tell her you'll add her to your cancellation list too....

Could you not squeeze her in after your last appt? As a one off, as it'd be returning a favour. She would go away saying, what a lovely lady, so kind she fit me in even though she's so busy and I helped her over a year ago...and look at my amazing nails. No better advert than a passionate recommendation.

I have no time to fit in an extra in between my clients, my fulltime job, moving and redecorating a new house, looking after 2 kids and up and down the hospital this week having blood tests etc due to having an early miscarriage on weds.

I have offered her the apps I have, if I cant give her the time she wants then I can't. I can't drop everything I am doing to do it, just not possible. X x

It's a shame that she expects an appointment at such short notice. With everything that you have going on especially emotionally all you can do is explain that you are full and offer her the first availability that you can do and unfortunately if this is not suitable for her there is nothing you can do, you cannot magic more hours into the day....

Hmmm poor woman seems to have been through more than enough this year she deserves a nice pamper! I'd try my hardest to fit her in, Can you not do it straight after your normal hours? When she stopped to help you she didnt question the time she stopped. In fact she could have just kept driving.

Hmmm poor woman seems to have been through more than enough this year she deserves a nice pamper! I'd try my hardest to fit her in, Can you not do it straight after your normal hours? When she stopped to help you she didnt question the time she stopped. In fact she could have just kept driving.

I think Nails <3 has explained now that she literally doesn't have the time to fit the lady in this week. Sounds like the op needs a bit of pampering herself now too x

Agreed pink fairy. We're all busy. Cut the op some slack. She said she will do them

Hun, if you don't have the time then it's as simple as that.

Tell this lady that your clients book early to make sure they get an appointment and that, unfortunately, you no longer have any appointments available before Christmas.

Ask also if she wants an appointment in the new year - if does, just tell her to book now to avoid disappointment and if she declines, make it clear that you can't guarantee a slot for her... Although she helped you in your time of need, your life is hectic too and you can't just conjure up a spare hour. Don't feel bad - if she was so worried about having them done she should have phoned ages ago to book! Everyone knows how busy December is.

Smile :)

xxx

I think you have done the right thing offering her what you have at the moment and if that doesn't suit her she'll have to go elsewhere. She's been through a tough time and now you are so she should fully understand that you can't do everything. People's lives change a lot in a year. You could of moved to another country for all she knows! Xx

[QUOTE=Nails

If you physically can't then there's not a lot you can do apart from be lovely and give her an appt which suits you both. Your op sounded like you just didn't want to, just things come across different written down! Hopefully you'll sort something out x

Didn't she "drop everything" to help you?

It is awful what you are going through but at the same time, what is a hour to do her nails?

I have a horrendous home life and there is always one drama and tragedy after the next BUT none of my clients ever know anything about it.

If I were you in this situation, I would bend over backwards for her. Good Samaritans are like rocking horse poop these days with all the political correctness and health and safety hoo ha. For all she knew, you could have been a mass murderer but she STILL helped you out.

JMO xx

Didn't we decide to leave it? The op has given her answer.

This thread is making me angry! Nails<3 don't worry yourself about it! It was great of the lady to help you but I for one would never contact anyone a whole year after for a set free set of nails. In fact I wouldn't have contacted you full stop! I don't help people for something in return. Get on with your weekend and forget about it! Sending you big hugs. X

I think that it's a good way to gain a new client but not at the expense of your private life. Dec is mad busy for everyone. I'm struggling to fit in my regulars. Let alone newbies and even freebies! I would honour your promise, and give out the appointments you can do. That's it. If those aren't appropriate then she will need to come back to you another time. If she is is the nice person we all think she sounds like she will understand. Pls relax and enjoy your Xmas :)

I think you've done everything you can. You've offered her the appointments you have she can't or won't do it during those times so that's her problem not yours. I think you've explained yourself and why you can't do it well enough. You've got enough going on without it being weeks away from Xmas as well.

I personally think she found your card and has decided to contact you on the off chance that you can do it. Like others have said just reply saying these are the only dates I have before Xmas, if none of them are suitable how about the new year.

Keep your chin up honey, you've got so much going on at the moment and I'm very sorry for your loss. Remember to put your feet up, the last thing your kids need is mummy ran into the ground on Xmas day xx

To the original poster - I hope you're ok and big hugs to you. A miscarriage is horrible however early it occurs and sends your emotions everywhere. Your priority right now is getting yourself back on track xxx

Didn't she "drop everything" to help you?

It is awful what you are going through but at the same time, what is a hour to do her nails?

I have a horrendous home life and there is always one drama and tragedy after the next BUT none of my clients ever know anything about it.

If I were you in this situation, I would bend over backwards for her. Good Samaritans are like rocking horse poop these days with all the political correctness and health and safety hoo ha. For all she knew, you could have been a mass murderer but she STILL helped you out.

JMO xx

No she didn't drop everything to help me she was outside her house and she picked up my exhaust with me so I could put it in my boot.

Are you not understanding something? I do not have an hour to do nails. I do not have an hour spare! If I did she would of had them done. I have gave her my available apps and it is up to her if she could take it or not.

I can't give her what I do not have. Simple as that. Would you like me to pass her number on to you if you feel so strongly about the situation.

[QUOTE=Nails

Firstly, I gave you my opinion which is what this site is all about. Not a strong feeling, other than replying, I haven't given this another thought.

I am very sorry that you are not having the best time right now.

Please, feel free to give her my number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back