Lamp for Shellac on ebay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails at Home

Reaction score
Hi Guys

It's been many years since I've been on this site as I stopped my nail technician work to have my new baby and have since set up a different business supply bouncy castle and soft play hire. However, I have still carried on making use of all my training by doing my own nails and have recently been informed of the new Shellac system from CND who I did some training with at one point and have just received my order to do my own french polish.

I also trained with Bio Sculpture for gel nails and have still got the lamp from them. As regards the Shellac polish the plan is to use this on myself and any friends who ask (not as a business). I've just done my first application tonight and find that the white tip went wrinkly on most nails (even though I made sure it wasn't put on thick as I read a previous post on this and took that advice). However, on applying the top coat it seems to have got rid of the wrinkly white. Anyway, obviously it is very expensive to set up with the Brisa lamp when it's not for business purposes and I just had a look on ebay to see if anyone happened to be selling a second hand one. I did come across this item no. xxxxxxxxxxxx which is listed to be for Shellac but it is not an original CND lamp. It costs a lot less and I wondered what you guys make of this and do you think it may work better than my Bio Sculpture lamp?

Thanks - any opinions will be greatly received.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shellac will only work with the proper CND lamp or the older brisa lamp. No other lamp will work

Alot of time and money was invested in the research into shellac so only the proper lamp and proper base coat etc will work

I know someone who's been doing shellac for about 3-4 months using a non branded uv lamp and she reckons it works fine.

I don't use shellac so can't comment and I don't work with her on a daily basis so can only take her word for it but she's an honest enough girl.

Lots of people in the know on here (and I'm sure elsewhere) giving the same advice as karenrose so I guess it depends whether you want to take a chance or not.

Thanks for your quick replies. I think for now I will stick to my Bio Sculpture lamp as it's VERY expensive to buy the correct lamp when it's just for myself and no profit is to be made. The Bio Sculpture lamp has set the gel and like I said the top coat seemed to "iron" out the wrinkles so I'll see how long it lasts and if it lasts well I may as well stick with it.

I think you'll probably find you will continue to have problems by not using the correct lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Hi
I did my nails in Shellac this evening for the first time (I've been Bio Sculpture for the last 5yrs). When I started with Bio I was told ONLY a Bio lamp would work with the gel. However I use a daylight lamp and I've never had any issues. It works fine for both systems. With the Shellac I cured the basecoat for 15seconds instead of 10 as recommend by CND (just be sure) and then 2mins (which is the recommended time) for the 2 colour layers and topcoat and they have cured perfectly. Have to say I am so far impressed with the Shellac. Is very quick aswell. Have invested a lot in Bio so wont be dropping the brand but will instead offer both and perhaps in the future phase one of the systems out. Regarding the wrinkling when doing french put the pink (negligee?) on first and the the white afterwards. If you follow the step-by-step guide on the CND website you should be okay.
Good luck.

Thanks "beautydoctor" for your advice. What a coincidence that we both tried out Shellac for the first time tonight with our Bio Sculpture lamps!

I did put the gels on in the same order as you say but I'm just beginning to wonder if the bulbs may need replacing - I still have the old ones in the lamp that I was using throughout years ago. I have got some brand new ones so next time I use it I'll replace them and see if I can stop the wrinkling.

I totally see where you're coming from with the fact that you've invested a lot of time and money into bio sculpture though - I did the same, as well as with CND for the acrylic training and products.

I think you should both invest in the proper lamp, it really is worth it.
Especially if you do someones nails who pays you then they have problems. Wont look good on you as you arent using the correct products to do it.
Especially if the client has had Shellac previously and knows what the lamp looks like. Alot of people are also in the know about these things and will expect you to have the proper equipment.
Then you will just look silly when they come back with problems and complain and possibly want their money back etc. When you have been taking a shortcut by not buying all the correct things for using Shellac

Hi, I too started with my Bio lamp and it worked ok until I could get hold of a CND lamp as they were out of stock for ages. Have to say the CND lamp is fabulous and cures without any problems. I too have had wrinkling - generally on myself not clients! think it is because although I love to polish others nails I am crap at doing my own and always seem to apply a little to thick!!
As you are only treating yourself not clients its not such an issue, but if you were going to start treating others I would definately save for the CND and of course insurance!
Take care & happy Shellac-ing!!
Fiona

Thanks for the responses - yes Mini4mum, as long as I am only doing it on myself there's no need to pay out for the correct lamp but if I change my mind at some stage and start doing it for profit again I would definitely invest in the correct lamp.

I think you should both invest in the proper lamp, it really is worth it.
Especially if you do someones nails who pays you then they have problems. Wont look good on you as you arent using the correct products to do it.
Especially if the client has had Shellac previously and knows what the lamp looks like. Alot of people are also in the know about these things and will expect you to have the proper equipment.
Then you will just look silly when they come back with problems and complain and possibly want their money back etc. When you have been taking a shortcut by not buying all the correct things for using Shellac
================================
My lamp was £150.00 and when bought was the best on the market. I have never had an issue with it and the quality is far better than the lamps offered by Bio or CND. Would be completely fool hardy to purchase a cheaper lamp with a brand sticker on to impress a client. The proof of your skill etc is surely in the final results? I personally invest in the best brands and get the best products from those ranges. Doesnt mean I have to buy everything. I have made that mistake and learnt.

Hi Guys

It's been many years since I've been on this site as I stopped my nail technician work to have my new baby and have since set up a different business supply bouncy castle and soft play hire. However, I have still carried on making use of all my training by doing my own nails and have recently been informed of the new Shellac system from CND who I did some training with at one point and have just received my order to do my own french polish.

I also trained with Bio Sculpture for gel nails and have still got the lamp from them. As regards the Shellac polish the plan is to use this on myself and any friends who ask (not as a business). I've just done my first application tonight and find that the white tip went wrinkly on most nails (even though I made sure it wasn't put on thick as I read a previous post on this and took that advice). However, on applying the top coat it seems to have got rid of the wrinkly white. Anyway, obviously it is very expensive to set up with the Brisa lamp when it's not for business purposes and I just had a look on ebay to see if anyone happened to be selling a second hand one. I did come across this item no. xxxxxxxxxxxx which is listed to be for Shellac but it is not an original CND lamp. It costs a lot less and I wondered what you guys make of this and do you think it may work better than my Bio Sculpture lamp?

Thanks - any opinions will be greatly received.

Hi. I have spoken with Sweetsquared as I had the same issue. I was told to initially wipe over with "the blue lotion" (when I first placed my order and sought advice on application). As I was only sent 1 blue lotion I presumed they meant the d.sperse. This is incorrect. D.sperse will definately cause you issues so do not use until the very end. You should prep the nail plate with CND Scrubfresh (which is the same as Bio's dual cleanser in theory). I also applied 2 nails too thick which also caused the bubbling (according to Sweetsquared). I have done my nails twice now and 4 clients since and not had any issues. Hope this helps.

Hi. I have spoken with Sweetsquared as I had the same issue. I was told to initially wipe over with "the blue lotion" (when I first placed my order and sought advice on application). As I was only sent 1 blue lotion I presumed they meant the d.sperse. This is incorrect. D.sperse will definately cause you issues so do not use until the very end. You should prep the nail plate with CND Scrubfresh (which is the same as Bio's dual cleanser in theory). I also applied 2 nails too thick which also caused the bubbling (according to Sweetsquared). I have done my nails twice now and 4 clients since and not had any issues. Hope this helps.

Scrubfresh is a naill cleanser dehydrater. D.sperse is a gel inhibiton remover and contains no acetone (which scrub fresh has) which will ultimatley cause shellac to break down.:lol:

Latest posts

Back