Lash tinting, should I be doing bottom lashes too??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
in a slight panic, as just read another thread tips for tinting the bottom lashes .. did my lash/brow tint training last week and was only shown how to do the models top lashes .. i just assumed only did the top lashes, same as eyelash extensions
was planning to offer as stand alone service as well as for fair ele clients, not sure what to do now - and i guess im going to have to adjust my price for this service seing as im only going to be doing half of it!!

Hi, I guess its common practice to tint the top and bottom lashes (except if the client request for the bottom not to be done) I haven't come across that myself. Same procedure for the top and bottom (just have to be extra careful with the bottom lash). I personally tint the bottom lash and then ask the client to carefully close eyes while tint is applied to the top lash (eye never to be opened until I'm done maximum 10 minutes)
Leaving the bottom lash defiles the purpose of having a lash tint. Hope this has been of help?

thank you for taking time to explain bottom lash procedure

omg seriously peed off now, why oh why did they not show me how to tint the bottom lashes if they're more tricky than the top! :irked:

I never do bottom lashes separately. If you put the cotton pad so that the bottom lashes are sitting on top then you wont need to. Just make sure when you put the tint on you are pressing it into the lashes and it will go through to the bottom ones.
To have you client open her eye to tint the bottom ones, you are more likely to get tint in her eye and jeeeez it stings!

I always tint the bottom lashes through the top with eyes closed throughout treatment, I also use a brush to be more precise and go under the bottom lashes to make sure covered with tint, I have seen therapists use orangewood sticks but personally I prefer a brush for precision.
Nicola x

Same here, always tint bottom and top lashes together just by making sure I apply the tint firmly to and through the top lashes, was not trained and never heard of doing bottom lashes with the eyes open till these threads. I cant see how any client can keep their eyes open long enough to get tint on both sets of bottom lashes and as soon as they start to blink then there is a high risk of tint going into the eye, then there would be stinging and :cry:!!!, I don't know about anyone else but I like my clients to enjoy their treatments not liken them to a trip to the dentist.

I've not had any complaints about my lash tinting.

H xx

wooops .. feel bit silly now, i must have been tinting bottom ones same time as the top then :o just didnt tell me, lol
just got confused when read all those posts about tinting top and bottom seperately
thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :hug:
can i ask which make tint you use? think one i got with my training is just a basic college training kit - is there much difference in them ?

I still use the same make as I was trained with - Hive, have had no problems with it. Did look at some others last time I went to re-order then remembered I'd have to go through the process of patch testing all my clients again and as I'd had no problems whatsoever decided to stick with Hive.

hth

H xx

wooops .. feel bit silly now, i must have been tinting bottom ones same time as the top then :o just didnt tell me, lol
just got confused when read all those posts about tinting top and bottom seperately
thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :hug:
can i ask which make tint you use? think one i got with my training is just a basic college training kit - is there much difference in them ?

Hiya, again like others have said I tint the bottom lashes through the top ones, client doesn't need to open her eye at all. When I did my training for it, we were told to 'clump' all of the lashes together and check the the top and bottom lashes once applied to make sure all lashes were covered :)

I originally used salon systems own tint, which was quite good, but use refectocil nowadays, love it so much! Hth! :) xx

Personally i do tint bottom lashes :) i just posted a similar comment on a different thread lol.
I do this after applied petroleum jelly and cotton pad under each eye, only put a small amount on then ask client to close their eyes and continue with the rest of the tint. I do agree that some of the tint does reach through to bottom lashes but i just like to make sure and all my clients have been really happy that i do take that tiny bit extra and tint bottom lashes too :)
I think its your own personal preference and what you feel comfortable doing really xx

Totally agree! I think it is how comfortable both you and the client feel about doing the bottom lashes seperate. I always give my clients to option as sometimes you can catch more of the lashes, but it can be awkward for the client having to keep their eyes open while you apply to the bottom.
I know at college we were taught to apply cotton pads under the eye but I find the tinting sheets are so much better as they are much thinner and fit closer to the eye. Again it is what each therapist prefers. Make sure you apply plenty of petroleum jelly under the eye and to the back side of the pad/sheet to make sure it sticks down too.

:) x

I always do the bottom aswell through the top lashes.

The way I was taught is, you go over the top lashes slightly pressing it through to the bottom lashes. So the first coating is for the bottom lashes. Then I go over the top lashes making sure i get right to the root

What I do is apply petroleum jelly under the eyes and place the pads, I put a bit of tint on bottom lashes (not more than 10 secs) and ask clients to close their eyes. I then tint the top lashes (also pressing firmly into the bottom lashes making sure tint gets in hair properly)
My clients are happy, always very pleased and never heard a complaint (4 years on). I was using Ellisons brand but will now be using Refectocil as all I've heard about it is positive.

(ps) So many things we were taught not to do at College but when you
get into the real world ie spa, salon, mobile or home based, you do what you think is best for your clients. I was even taught at College not to wax the top of brows but I personally don't think it looks good so I just wax the top without asking (some clients say they've never had that done before)
Hope this helps---just do what you're comfortable doing but most especially putting your clients safety and interest no1.

I hate the tinting pads; they're too rigid and just generally a bit blech. IMO, obviously! :lol: I take half a cotton pad for each client and wet it, then half it again so that it's nice and thin. I find that it's so much more malleable than the dedicated tinting pads.

I tint both top and bottom lashes at the same time. Push the tint through and make sure all the lashes are covered.

If I'm tinting my own though, I tint them seperately and use an old mascara brush to apply it. So much easier than trying to faff around!

I still use the same make as I was trained with - Hive, have had no problems with it. Did look at some others last time I went to re-order then remembered I'd have to go through the process of patch testing all my clients again and as I'd had no problems whatsoever decided to stick with Hive.

hth

H xx

Me too I love HIVE. Their tints are fab!!

I never do bottom lashes separately. If you put the cotton pad so that the bottom lashes are sitting on top then you wont need to. Just make sure when you put the tint on you are pressing it into the lashes and it will go through to the bottom ones.
To have you client open her eye to tint the bottom ones, you are more likely to get tint in her eye and jeeeez it stings!
My eyelashes are white and this method never works as it doesn't seep through enough from the top. You could get away with it on dark lashes, I guess.

Latest posts

Back