Late cancellations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen Faye

Reaction score
Hi geeks these last two weeks I've been so busy but had quite a few very last minute cancellations and not had chance to fill it . today came to a head when a girl got her friend to fb me to say she didn't want it 10mins before she was suppose to have the appointment. I've arranged child care which as you know isn't cheap so really need to get a control over this. I'm trying to word a post for my fb mobile hairdressing page, to kindly ask to give as much notice as possible for cancellations and maybe a small deposit for all December appointments?? I don't want to affend my loyal regulars its more the rare or one offs that tend to cancel.thanks helen xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's it's just part of life and part of the job.

I have a keratin booked in nearly every day between now and xmas I get so nervous incase they don't show

It's hard to predict who'll cancel at the last minute. The only thing you can definitely do is make sure you don't have repeat offenders. If someone cancels without good reason I only ever rebook them at a time that is suitable for me in-case they cancel again (e.g. last appointment of the day). If they do cancel again then they can no longer have an appointment unless they pay up front.

I speak about a "48hour cancellation policy" on my facebook page. I too am mobile. I don't actually imply anything if they cancel after 48hours but I've found it makes people think. I also word it "I understand life gets in the way sometimes but where possible please continue to respect my 48hour cancellation policy to allow others to have your appointment if it's no longer suitable for you" something like that. I noticed an improvement, not always but generally.

I started getting December bookings in August and decided then to take a £5 deposit per client which will be taken off their bill. If ever an explanation was needed like "oooo is it because your getting lots of cancellations" I just said "no it's because people started booking so early I wanted them to really think about the booking before they made it and that its when they want it" or something along those lines. Hope that helps.

I always ring every client the day before to confirm they can make it or sometimes the morning of their appointment as I have extortionate childcare costs, £12 per hour when my oldest isn't in school!! Also I do extensions so it's a long appointment so it's imperative people show. Although with fittings they've paid for the hair so they never ever cancel but with consultations and maintenance you always have the awkward ones. Calling before hand helps as ive had people cancel when I call who knows if they'd have bothered contacting me.

If you're going to put it on your Facebook page, wait a couple of days so it doesn't look like it's directed at a particular client, write it out get a few people to read it then re read it out loud before you post as you get the tone better then. I don't think there's anything wrong with a gentle, polite reminder if the emphasis is not on cancelling your appointment but on informing you as early as possible if people have to cancel. Also I wouldn't mention childcare as it's not professional xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend love writing poems, she writ this for me and im still undecided on whether to use it!

"As we enter into december,
Id like to tell you something to remember,
Appointments are few and far between,
And most of you are really keen,
To book your appointment with me,
Im happy about that, im sure you can agree,
But please double check your diaries please,
As if you cancel theres no guarentees,
For another appointment and theres other news,
Its a subject thats always been a bit taboo,
If there is a short notice cancellation,
I will have to charge you without hesitation,
50% of your appointment fee,
Unless there is a reason or i find another attendee,
Thank you for your understanding,
I know it sounds awfully demanding,
With that out the way lets move on,
And come visit me in my salon!"

Kind Regards, Ellis :)

I didn't read past the 3rd line sorry!

You need something short and sweet and professional.

48hours notice appreciated for cancellations.

50% of the service will be payable if less than 48hours notice is given.

I'n not trying to be mean but if I saw that poem on facebook to advertise your business it would put me off.

Standard, professional and UNAPOLOGETIC messages is all you need x

My friend love writing poems, she writ this for me and im still undecided on whether to use it!

"As we enter into december,
Id like to tell you something to remember,
Appointments are few and far between,
And most of you are really keen,
To book your appointment with me,
Im happy about that, im sure you can agree,
But please double check your diaries please,
As if you cancel theres no guarentees,
For another appointment and theres other news,
Its a subject thats always been a bit taboo,
If there is a short notice cancellation,
I will have to charge you without hesitation,
50% of your appointment fee,
Unless there is a reason or i find another attendee,
Thank you for your understanding,
I know it sounds awfully demanding,
With that out the way lets move on,
And come visit me in my salon!"

I love it.may I use it please? Xxx

Just saw yours colour girly, now I'm not sure xx

And id be careful saying "unless there is a reason" they will find a reason in this case..

I thought about it over night, no matter what i say or do people will cancel anyway. Ive tried taking deposits, tried asking for cancelation fees, tried saying "that isnt a good enough reason ull still have to pay" and in the past nothing has worked. Poem or no poem there are going to be people wanting to swap and cancel, im just going to have to put it down to part of my job!
Xx

I thought about it over night, no matter what i say or do people will cancel anyway. Ive tried taking deposits, tried asking for cancelation fees, tried saying "that isnt a good enough reason ull still have to pay" and in the past nothing has worked. Poem or no poem there are going to be people wanting to swap and cancel, im just going to have to put it down to part of my job!
Xx

I've tried all of the usuals.

You know your genuine clients, and the ones that mess you around normally will all the time. The regular genuine ones, you will know they don't always do it, and normally offer to pay for the cancellation too (well mine do) at the end of the day sometimes we all suddenly come down with sickness or our kids do and it might be us having to cancel them. So you have to think about that.

As for the others, then just incase give them the benefit of the doubt at least once. Then if they try it again then you don't have to offer them anything else. But you can always take a deposit for brand new clients. Then you know you have at least got something that's more of a commitment.

Latest posts

Back