Late client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD99

Reaction score
Just had a lady turn up 45 mins late (I work from home) saying oh sorry I'm a bit late. I turned her away saying I wouldn't have enough time plus I didn't charge her a missed appointment fee and she looked at me in total shock. I know I won't see her again but I keep Mulling it over.
What would you have done?

I totally agree with you. I'm sure you would have still went ahead with the treatment if you had enough time. If she turned up that at a restaurant after booking a table or a doctors appointment she would be turned away as well why should your business be any different? Is she a regular client? Xx

You done the right thing. Just say you work by appointment and she is 45mins late for her appointment and won't be able to take her.

Hi, 45 mins !!!! .... thats not a bit late thats really late !!!
what treatment was she booked in for? ( just out of curiosity - as if she was booked in for a pedi/ mani I would have painted nails but nothing else) - but other than that how does she expect to be that late and u still have time for treatment ??? ..,
I also work from home and my clients know i work back to back (although I do leave a 15-20 or so gap between so I can tidy up and have a quick drink etc and because of parking so there is only one extra car outside as they park on the drive, so neighbours dont have anything to moan at) ... they think I'm back to back apts , which I am really !!!

She was booked in for a manicure and foot treatment ingrowing toe nail (I'm also a foot health practitioner)
I saw her once last year, so not a regular. I too have parking issues so allow 15 mins to clear up, pop to loo etc.
I was gob smacked at her attitude really. We all have no shows and people turning up late.

There is a sign posted at my doc's office: if you are more then 15 minutes late, you must book another appt.

I like it!

I think some people see working from home as a hobby and that you would have nothing else to do so it's ok to be late. They think your at home anyway so it won't matter, they don't think you will have other things to do or other clients booked in straight after them.

You did the right thing by telling her you could not fit her in.

Deanosnana I like the sound of your Dr's sign (being mobile it wouldn't help me with clients who run late and leave me sat outside their houses :sad:).

i just had a client turn up half an hour late for infills but had decided she wanted her toes painted too! not only that she had soaked off her L+P extensions!!so needed a full set and toes painted...i explained i didnt have time as she was only booked in for infills, i ended up painting toes and fingers!

I would have treated her if I was able to but if I had other clients in would have explained politely that it has a knock on effect to other clients booked.
It's not worth getting the hump about it (as bloody annoying as is is)!
She would then know next time to keep her appointment without ticking her off, which is good for the reputation!..lol

If one of my clients is 10 mins late i text them, politely of course. That way i can gauge if theyve forgotten, running late, lost or a no show (only had one). Don't sweat it honey, youve explained politely that she's late, there is not much more you can do, if you can't fit her in xxx

If one of my clients is 10 mins late i text them, politely of course. That way i can gauge if theyve forgotten, running late, lost or a no show (only had one). Don't sweat it honey, youve explained politely that she's late, there is not much more you can do, if you can't fit her in xxx

Yes, definitely do that, infact I usually ring them if they're five mins late to see if they're on the way or if either of us had made a mistake! (Which is quite probable) ha ha!!

You did the right thing.

If you treated her you would have been giving her the message that it's ok to turn up 45 minutes late, and she'll be late for future appointments.

If she does return she won't be late again.

Something I learnt the hard way....

I had a henna client once who was coming by train. I offered to pick her up from the station as I only live 5mins away. I got there and I waited 10mins before I text her. She then said she emailed me the day before saying she couldn't make it.
I didn't receive any emails, until 2 minutes after I text her... lol.

I think some people see working from home as a hobby and that you would have nothing else to do so it's ok to be late. They think your at home anyway so it won't matter, they don't think you will have other things to do or other clients booked in straight after them.

You did the right thing by telling her you could not fit her in.

Deanosnana I like the sound of your Dr's sign (being mobile it wouldn't help me with clients who run late and leave me sat outside their houses :sad:).

I Agree - some ppl must think We are just sat all day until they come and they are the 'only client'.... And clients who ask me to squeeze them in on another eve if my 2 late Eve's are already booked up !!! .. Lol ... Errrmm no ... 'book in early to avoid disappointment' ... !!!!

Me and my manager totally disagree on this I think if someone is more than 15 mins late they should be turned away unless of course I have time and wouldnt be running late for my next appt but shes just like no problem

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Remember, it was her nasty reaction that brought you guilt. You dont want someone like that back anyways. You want clients that respect you and your time. Say bye bye and sleep well at night.

45 mins is a long time to sit there and wait for a client. You were right to say you could not do the treatment.

I've had a client turn up 30 mins late, they had their friend with them. When they finally turned up and said they were late because they had been to McDonald's. I turned them both away. How on earth did they think I would do 2 gelish appts in 30 mins is beyond me, since then they have both turned up early for every appt. x

I think her being in total shock was possibly brought about by someone standing up to her total lack of respect. You may have been the first to show her that it's not acceptable.

I get that all the time on deal vouchers ..they roll in 15-30 mins late ..but the voucher states it will be taken off if you're late ! I work back to back and I take the time off ! Simple ! if we didn't keep to appts and let everyone off I'd be still working till late at night !

If she had called with a genuine reason to say she would be late I'd have been more inclined to do the appointment but just turning up that late and expecting you to do the treatment is rude. These are the same clients that ring or text on a Sunday to book apts! You did the right thing you never know she might rebook and make sure she's on time!

Latest posts

Back