Leapt into the deep end, help and advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debsnco

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I've just registered and hope I'm posting in the right place as I'm a little unsure :-/

To cut a long story short, I'm about to sign a 3 yr lease on a hairdressing/beauty salon early next week and I've started to panic. I do want to go ahead with it but I have no idea what I'm doing :(

I've been running my own business (nothing to do with hairdressing/beauty) for the past 5 yrs, so this business is all new to me. The salon itself is more for my daughters and I will manage it for them. I have decided to go to college and train in some area of the beauty industry which I'm quite looking forward to (even if I am the wrong side of 40 ... gulp!!) so that I can be a little more hands on if and when needed.

My main worry is not knowing where to start. I've searched online for salon furniture/products etc. I need everything and would appreciate advice from professionals already in the business who could point me in the right direction. I don't have mega bucks to splash but do want it to look right.

I'm in the Bolton/Manchester area and absolutely any help, advice, guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Debs x

What's your budget like? It's difficult for us to point you in the right direction without knowing how large your salon is, what you're planning, and how much you have to play with to furnish and decorate.

Are your daughters hair or beauty professionals? They should be able to tell you what you need if so.

If budget is small you'd be best looking for salon closure sales (and there are a LOT of them) on Ebay... If your budget is bigger you can probably have a much wider choice.

I'm mobile so can be no help to you at all really, but I couldn't just read and run!

So I want to wish you and your daughters all the luck in the world with your new salon, and I hope it's really successful for you all! <3

Danielle
xxxx

What's your budget like? It's difficult for us to point you in the right direction without knowing how large your salon is, what you're planning, and how much you have to play with to furnish and decorate.

Are your daughters hair or beauty professionals? They should be able to tell you what you need if so.

If budget is small you'd be best looking for salon closure sales (and there are a LOT of them) on Ebay... If your budget is bigger you can probably have a much wider choice.

Hi and thank you for your reply Sarah-Jean.

My eldest daughter has a diploma in hair and media makeup. The younger one has a nail tech diploma nvq level 2 and is starting college in Sept to do beauty therapy and possibly aromatherapy.

The salon is approx 34 x 14 ft with an additional therapy/treatment room. There is sufficient room in the salon for at least 4 hairdressing stations and a nail bar.

Taking out decoration/fitting/plumbing costs etc I probably have about £2500 to spend on furniture/products. I've had a quick look on ebay but was worried whether it would be any good as most items are such a long way away to view before bidding. I'd hate to buy something and find it's knackered when I arrive to collect :(

I'm mobile so can be no help to you at all really, but I couldn't just read and run!

So I want to wish you and your daughters all the luck in the world with your new salon, and I hope it's really successful for you all! <3

Danielle
xxxx

Thank you Danielle, that's so kind of you. Good luck with your mobile business too :) x

Are you credit worthy? If your budget is only around the £2k mark and you're unable to drive to pick up the stuff then it might be worth contacting some of the furniture suppliers and asking them about their leasing options on a pay monthly basis?

I know Sally's offers this, and they're very helpful and will even come to your unit to help you design it out... Infact most furniture suppliers will offer this - it's just a question of finding one with stuff you'd actually want to buy! LOL

Oh, my only last thoughts of Ebay stuff, is although it won't be new and you may occasionally find someone has fobbed you off with something a bit tatty, it will at least get you open and running and then once you're in profit you can do a total re-fit. Most businesses I've had have worked on that basis... Buy cheap, make money, then re-furb!

Try gumtree too x

Salons direct has some really nice furniture but more so for hairdressing I think. They have lovely desks and waiting chairs a units though x

Ikea furniture and accessories are good and reasonably priced, especially when mixed with a few high end bits of furniture etc.

I'm mobile so not much help, but saw the thread and wanted to congratulate you on your new business.

Doing this for your daughters is amazing, I hope they realise how lucky they are to have your support. Your never too old to learn new skills so enjoy your course and good luck with it all x

Cant beat a family run salon :) we have one in adlington chorley and sis has on ...its gonna be great pleasure for you! Where abouts is your salon? Have you tried salon focus ltd off chorley new rd in bolton!

I got furniture from a guy on salon tec- second hand stuff but it was good! Spent £1000 on two backwashes and 5 salon chairs.

I'd recommend looking on gumtree - it will get you started if nothing else. As for products - Wella were a great help with me to get set up as I told them my budget and what I wanted and they worked it out for me.

My beauty salon is kitted out almost entirely with ikea furniture, i,e. shelving units, desk, mirror, picture frames ect, my couch is from house of famuir and my waxing trolley and pedicure station is from Allan Howards, im not a hairdresser so wouldnt know where to get that stuff from.

www.hofbeauty.co.uk

www.alanhoward.co.uk

www.beautyexpress.co.uk

hope this helps :D

Oh, my only last thoughts of Ebay stuff, is although it won't be new and you may occasionally find someone has fobbed you off with something a bit tatty, it will at least get you open and running and then once you're in profit you can do a total re-fit. Most businesses I've had have worked on that basis... Buy cheap, make money, then re-furb!

I would agree with this route based on your current situation.

The primary goal must be to build a solid clientele as soon as possible.

I would invest whatever i could in a quality marketing and advertising to ensure the shop gets off on the right foot.

Fingers crossed for you all.:D

Latest posts

Back