Learning to sew

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi326

Reaction score
I have been watching the sewing bee and would love a go at making children dresses does anyone know how one would start or could anyone recommend a course thanks

Check local colleges, they're often a good place to start :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

And there are aillion and one sewing blogs out there too.

Little girls dresses can be made without a pattern, and there's loads of tutorials online and on youtube :)

I love the sewing bee too. Patrixk is a fittie!! (I do like the sewing part too, but he's certainly a deal sweetner ;) ) xx

I struggle to sew on a button, but I love the Great British Sewing Bee.
There is so much talent and creativity it is great to watch, and Patrick is very easy on the eye.
I would love to learn to sew, but deep down I know everything I would make would look home made :(

Have a look at the Clothkits site.....I made loads of their kits in the early 80s. We also all had matching striped jumpers in primary colours :o

I'm just about to start hopefully making a dress for my daughter I have just been watching tutorials on YouTube that don't require a pattern it looks easy enough

Wow, Dandelionpoppy I had no idea that Clothkits still existed/had been resurrected! I used to buy from them in the '80s.

OP, it's a good skill to have - I second the local colleges recommendation.

My first quick Google showed this - any use? Under "Make and Mend (Clothing)"
http://www.trafford.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/adult_brochure2.pdf

Also sometimes large independent fabric / sewing equipment retailers run courses or know people who do; one near me runs weekend workshops e.g. "make a pair of trousers". Can be more convenient than a college class.

Try Googling local sewing courses, you'd be amazed at what little teaching craft businesses there are, e.g. trained seamstresses working around children and teaching.

Sometimes you can find local clubs too, depends where you are - I'm in a semi-rural area and I've seen a social club for any sewer or knitter advertised in a local parish magazine; could be good as you'll get people at all levels and some will be a little ahead of you so able to help.

Clothkits though are a great place to start because you don't need to worry about patterns and cutting out.

I feel so lucky, my dad (mostly!) and my mum taught me to sew by hand and machine when I was a little girl (in the 1970s). Mum used to make a few clothes for me so it was normal then.

I am never daunted now by small mends, or alterations or buttons, and I know how a fabric will behave.
Though I don't make clothes from scratch these days, I alter about every second pair of trousers I buy to fit my fat bum. Just been making a muslin curtain for a window.

Hope my essay is useful!

Oh. Google tilly and the buttons too. She has a 'learn to sew' series on her blog. She was a contestant on the bee last year xx

I did a few weeks worth in the summer for a woman that learnt to sew and then set her own business up making childs clothes! It's definitely quite fun, especially with all the gorgeous fabrics there are!!!

Latest posts

Back