Left/right handed - blow drying technique help needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hold my cutlery the wrong way round too! I'm right handed and hold the dryer in.my right hand. However when it comes to doing a short hair blow dry with the sides going back, the side that I hold the dryer in my left hand is always stronger! It took me 2 years to be able to hold the dryer in my left hand though haha! X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I use both hands, but am right handed. To get an even blowdry you have to use both. For a smooth and straight blowdry you need to get the hair relativity straight using tension, then place the hair gently on the brush and with the dryer pointing perfectly down the shaft you move both down slowly.
Don't know if its a college aproved course but has lasted my aunt who has a tight curl over a week without flat irons xoxo

Mine are always even, and I don't swap hands x

I'm left handed and hair dryer in right hand, left hand with brush :)

My tutors found it hard with me because I also cut hair with my right hand! As long as the outcome is fine then it's not a problem :) x

I am left handed but blow dry with both :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

There is no right or wrong way, it is just practice. Your strength will build up over time too. Try holding the hair dryer differently, ie instead of holding the handle of it, grasp it around the middle section of the dryer. That way you use different muscles so that other muscles can rest and then change back to holding the handle when you feel ok again.

I was born left handed, but made to write right handed. BUT they forgot to teach me everything else right handed. So I eat left handed, tie ties, bows, shoe laces etc left handed. Dry hair with both hands and play tennis etc with both. I also do nails right handed as this is now my dominant hand for delicate or accurate things.

Just keep at it, practice, practice, practice.

Sorry to jump on, my question is slightly relevant! Im learning blow drys/ hair up in college (vrq hair + media make up student). Some of you have mentioned holding the dryer by the body, but my tutors have told us not to as its against health and safety in the salon, apparently it would be more harmful to us if it were to explode. Anyone heard of this before?

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Sorry to jump on, my question is slightly relevant! Im learning blow drys/ hair up in college (vrq hair + media make up student). Some of you have mentioned holding the dryer by the body, but my tutors have told us not to as its against health and safety in the salon, apparently it would be more harmful to us if it were to explode. Anyone heard of this before?

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Ah well I'll blow up then, it looks better and less strain on my wrist when I hold it like that x

I'm left-handed and write with my left hand. However for things like ironing or lifting a kettle i use my right hand.When I was training I was taught to use both hands however now I tend to just use my brushes in my left and my dryer in my right. it's more comfortable that way.

There is a correct way.

The brush should primarily be in your lead hand, where you have maximum control. The dryer should primarily be in your weaker hand. You should however be able to control both with both hands.

The reason is that prolonged blow drying over a long career will cause the muscles in your upper back to over develop. If you totally overdevelop your lead side, you will suffer terrible shoulder problems.

It is better to suffer a bit of awkwardness now and learn correctly than be forced to give up further down the road.
Holding a dryer with your weak hand will feel odd at first until you build up strength. You wouldn't try and hold your scissors in your wrong hand, and your brush is no different.

Holding scissors correctly feels odd at first but has to be learnt.

There is a correct way.

The brush should primarily be in your lead hand, where you have maximum control. The dryer should primarily be in your weaker hand. You should however be able to control both with both hands.

The reason is that prolonged blow drying over a long career will cause the muscles in your upper back to over develop. If you totally overdevelop your lead side, you will suffer terrible shoulder problems.

It is better to suffer a bit of awkwardness now and learn correctly than be forced to give up further down the road.
Holding a dryer with your weak hand will feel odd at first until you build up strength. You wouldn't try and hold your scissors in your wrong hand, and your brush is no different.

Holding scissors correctly feels odd at first but has to be learnt.

So do I hold my scissors correct? I'm right handed and hold them into right hand. But my dryer is in both.
With you saying you can over develop your muscles, would not switching as being able to use both hands be more beneficial than using just one hand?

As for holding your dryer by the body, while training as in salons iv been at I have been told to use it however best I feel comfortable, although I hold by the handle with my thumb on the switches and the nozzle horizontal (I have noticed may have the nozzle verticle) xoxo

When I was working as an assessor in the salon,I use to say to trainees who were struggling with control of brushes ie turning brushes etc to pop a plaster around the handle of a round brush and practice turning it with your relevant fingers and hand as your sitting there watching Telly,and everyone said that after couple weeks doing this it helped them when it came blow-drying,you will get use to it as time goes on,practice makes perfect ;-) x

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

I have just been practicing again - dryer in right hand (sorry!) and brush in left, and my technique is still off. My block still looks fluffy and dull. I'm obviously not quite there yet.

Tried with the opposite hand - and the hair is shinier - so perhaps I angle it better and close the cuticles down that way, but the brush and dryer DO not work in coordination with each other. If my block was a client, she'd have a sore head from being walloped with the dryer!!

Going back to youtube to see if I can find anything to help! :)

Thank you again!

PS - I'll try the tip with the plaster :) x

also the right brushes help i got some kent ones and find them much easier to handle but regarding switching hands eymtc i feel its what ever suits you as long as you get a result that is all that matters x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Ah well I'll blow up then, it looks better and less strain on my wrist when I hold it like that x

Yeah I agree, I hold the body of the hair dryer too until I get to the top section at the crown then usually stand to the side holding the handle and pull the hair forward to create more volume.

I struggled at first, now I love blow dries! I hold dryer in left hand brush in right I can only use my parlux super compact though struggle to use any other drier now. I can't use brushes with wood handles though I get cramp xx

As I said, doing it correctly will feel wrong at first, but you build strength and control, you aint born with it!

Takes a lot of practice to be a master at anything.

Lea, just because something feels easier doesnt make it right. Holding scissors correctly feels wrong at first, but is non negotiable.

As I said, doing it correctly will feel wrong at first, but you build strength and control, you aint born with it!

Lea, just because something feels easier doesnt make it right. Holding scissors correctly feels wrong at first, but is non negotiable.

so true! I'm too impatient that's the problem! :)

I'll keep trying, and again, thank you everyone x

scissors yes i agree but hairdryer i think if its comfy for you and you get right effect then thats fine every where ive been or who i know hold it diffrent ways and some swap hands some dont x

When I was working as an assessor in the salon,I use to say to trainees who were struggling with control of brushes ie turning brushes etc to pop a plaster around the handle of a round brush and practice turning it with your relevant fingers and hand as your sitting there watching Telly,and everyone said that after couple weeks doing this it helped them when it came blow-drying,you will get use to it as time goes on,practice makes perfect ;-) x

i love this my tutor told us to do this with scissors x

Latest posts

Back