Leg support during holistic massage and facials

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavender lovely

Reaction score
Hi girls

I wondered if I can ask advice on how you support your clients legs, knees and ankles during massage in the supine position and during facials?

I was always trained to use supports under the knees and that this was sufficient, but I am getting a lot of complaints of clients suffering with discomfort after long periods lay down, from having their heels pressed downwards into the massage bed as a result of the supports.

Someone suggested a leg wedge, but I am not convinced this would alter the position they would be in with the knee supports or make it any better for them? Does anyone use a wedge or can anyone recommend an alternative? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. :)

I have bolster cushion which I put under the knees if someone is uncomfortable. You can use rolled up towel just as well and at least it won't be too high if you know what i mean.

Works well for me.

Obviously if someone is suffering from swellings/blood cloths placing a bolster is a contraindication even if you don't massage legs.

I just use small towels and roll them up and place them behind their knees or under the ankles when they are face down.

I use a pillow under the knees, but take a bit of time checking it's in exactly the right position, as this can be important.

Thanks for your responses girls, I do uses bolsters and rolled towels under the knees at present, but it's the lack of support under the ankle due to the position the bolsters and towels put them in that seems to be the problem? Not sure what to do about really :(

What size/style of bolster are you using?

I also use a bolster cushion underneath the knees (checking position with client) and under the ankles when turned over.

I've never had a complaint or problem...as Jaqueline said, what is your bolster like?

Mine is quite squishy for lack of a better word, haha.

Do many client's complain or is it just one in particular?

Perhaps you could use some kind of a memory foam pillow?

xx

Maybe a duvet folded length ways under your couch covers would help.

When I was under weight even my memory foam mattress with pillow under knees still hurt my ankles so I had to put a folded duvet under me.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Lindsey x

Thanks for your replies girls.

I have used bolsters and rolled towels, both have posed the same problem. I have had 3 different clients all complaining of being in the same position too long and having to raise their legs (1 hr 15 max for facial).

Will try and look into memory foam pillow or mattress, both good ideas, thanks. I just wanted to see if it was a common problem or whether it was just me really! Must be something I am doing, or maybe my couch is particularly uncomfortable.

Thanks for taking to time to help :)

Latest posts

Back