Legalities - serving alcohol & food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junejuno

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We are presently working on organising pamper parties at our salon. We want to offer buffet and champagne and we want to make sure that we are not breaking any laws. We intend to buy in plated food so we will not be preparing the food and we will be offering free wine. We are wondering if the fact they are, in effect, private parties that would make a difference.

Now I know that some councils interpret the law on this differently but I would be grateful to hear of people's experience if they have treid to do this and how they overcame any problems.

June

Last edited:
I contacted my local council for guidance on alcohol in salons last year and from what I was told, what you are doing still constitutes 'selling alcohol' as the alcohol is only being offered to those paying for the pamper party. Basically if the alcohol is dependent on having the service you are technically selling it, the only way to get around it is to offer the alcohol free to anyone who wants it (whether they are paying for the service or not) or to get a short term event licence. If you send an e-mail to your council they will advise you for definite.

Thanks Martin, that's exactly what the authorities have told us today.
So it's either a short term event licence or nothing as the permanant licence is too expensive. Thanks again for your input.
June

Latest posts

Back