Lichen Planus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
I have a lady with Lichen planus which is getting progressively worse.I have googled so know a bit about it and i have done a search on here but what i would like to know is there anyone who suffers from it personally or knows anyone and is able to offer any personal advise on it.
It seems to be quite rare,mysterious and is often misdiagnosed by doctors as psoriasis,its not contagious but is very itchy, unsightly and can cause scarring hair loss and nail damage.Steroid treatment either oral or topical seems to be the conventional treatment for it but obviously that has side effects.

My husband has Lichen Planus. He has been using prescription strength cortisone. He only needs to treat it when it flares up. He is careful not to use the ointment anywhere there is no visible outbreak. It is an autoimmune disease and there is no cure. He doesn't seem to react to lotions or skin preparations. He has it pretty much under control most of the time. He has had no significant side effects from treatment. He has never needed oral treatment. He has been treating for about three years off and on. His mother's side had skin issues. I have not noticed any significant hair loss or scaring but he doesn't leave it untreated when it flares up. Stress makes it worse and stress management is key to effective treatment for him.

Latest posts

Back