Lifting at base of nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexnorm

Reaction score
So a client has told me that her ibd gel polish has started lifting at the base of the nail. I just need some advice as to whether I've not applied properly or if it could be due to her nails being naturally really oily. I do the standard buff, prep,I then applied powerbond, base coat etc what do you guys think?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487084915.508703.jpg

She's been nibbling, or 'testing' with her teeth :p It's virtually impossible to get chipping up there without some kind of intervention, I vote teeth. As a nail biter by nature I always have my fingers in my mouth and I like sliding my teeth over newly applied Gel Polish, its all smooth and slippy and lush, if I'm tired or stressed, this turns into nibbling/biting/testing :oops:

My name is Trinity, and I'm a Nail Biter :p:confused::mad::D

Thanks but she's adamant she doesn't bite. She may have picked at them a bit since they started lifting but she's been honest saying her work is quite hands on and she washes her hands constantly. That's why I'd used powerbond and really tried to dehydrate as much as possible

Then she's a picker. Unless you touched skin with your product or applied it too thickly at the cuticle it's not going to chip up there without help. If you applied too thickly and there was a ridge or bump then shes been at that but it doesn't just 'come off' up there

Is it possible there was cuticle left on the nail? That would make it lift.

Does she use a medical grade hand wash/gel?

Possible cuticle left or any product that was used prior to application?

Is it possible there was cuticle left on the nail? That would make it lift.

Does she use a medical grade hand wash/gel?

She just told me that she's been using a lot of alcohol hand sanitiser gel this past week?

Could well be the problem
I've had a full set of acrylics lift off 2 clients after using this. They never had any lifting before and the nails were clean off with no damage.

She's been nibbling, or 'testing' with her teeth :p It's virtually impossible to get chipping up there without some kind of intervention, I vote teeth. As a nail biter by nature I always have my fingers in my mouth and I like sliding my teeth over newly applied Gel Polish, its all smooth and slippy and lush, if I'm tired or stressed, this turns into nibbling/biting/testing :oops:

My name is Trinity, and I'm a Nail Biter :p:confused::mad::D
Me too...

You could apply 2 x powerbond

This always happens to me . I prep my nail correctly , do the correct steps but i get very minor lifting at the back ,usually around the 6 day mark... its not actually noticeable ....but i am a nail picker so i pick at it and makes it worse, ...i know i know , i scold my clients when they do it but cant stop myself lol . Now while saying i get very rough with my hands and nails , acetone , files , sanitizing my hands ect so im sure that contributes with it ...So i just change my gel polish every 7 days , usually ;)

These hand sanitisers have a lot to answer for -especially the hospital ones!
It's often the reason clients loose their gel polish in my opinion
☹️☹️

Thank you. So annoyed though! The second client I had whose nails I did on Saturday has messaged to say her nails have already started chipping at the free edge. They are extremely long though and she's said she's been doing a lot of housework, cleaning etc. But I'm not happy that hers have chipped already?! That's only 4 days worth! My prep is exactly the same for them as my own nails and I never have any issues! I've got easily 2 weeks wear out of mine and if anything I apply theirs far better than mine as I'm normally in a rush! Plus I still do housework washing baby bottles etc! And I only get chips when it gets to about 2 weeks.

My prep is: dry cuticle work, buff nail plate all over with 240grit block, prep wipe, base coat, colour coats, top coat then cleanse wipe and oil cuticle. What am I doing wrong?! Is it them or is it me? I'm finding it so disheartening has these are my first two proper clients, before that I've done friends and myself who haven't had any issues!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487259682.476512.jpg

These were the nails. She was open and told me she also types using her nails. So I pre warned her they may chip but didn't think it would be so quickly?! Especially as I made sure I capped the edges well.

Latest posts

Back