Lifting causing pseudo leukonychia???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
When i rebalance one of my long-term client's nails, she often has white marks appear on her nail bed if there has been lifting in that area.

Sometimes these disappear if I gently buff with a very fine abrasive over the area, or when i wipe over with scrubfresh (in this case they only disappear temporarily, until the nail dehydrates.. which is partly what leads me to think it's pseudo leukonychia??)

I have been doing this client's nails for a couple of years, and had always noticed her nails were prone to doing this, sometimes more often than others... but always seemed to be caused by the lifting.

This client goes 4wks between appts, so I've suggested we try 3wks next time, as she says the lifting often occurs in the last week.

I have other clients with lifting who do not suffer from these white patches, so I had assumed that this was a problem unique to her nails, but she has recently returned to have her nails done with me after I've come back to work from maternity leave - and she has not suffered with the problem with tech doing her nails while I was away ... so clearly I am doing something wrong ... :(

I'm really confident I'm doing all the right things with prep - I really spend a lot of time on it. But am happy to go thru what i do step-by-step if anyone thinks this may be a prob?

My thought process is this.. that the lifting is caused in the final days of the 4wks she goes between treatments, and as my prep is ok, it is probably caused by trauma to the nails, especially as the nails are really getting quite long by the 4wk mark. So as the lifting is caused by trauma rather than bad prep, the gel is forced away from the nail, causing some damage to the nail bed?

I haven't asked if she was going 4wks between appts, but will do so. Also not sure if her nails got so long with previous tech....

Any other thoughts anyone??

thanks x

Last edited:
sorry to bump this up... need some help!! :)

I wouldn't give this some fancy name.

The white patches are patches of surface dehydration; nothing more and nothing less. Comes from trauma, nails under pressure from being too long, repeated lifting etc.

They will disappear with loving care and attention to restore the moisture/oil balance in the nail plate (not the bed). Lots of Solar Oil. Peeps who use solar Oil, usually do not get this and the ones that don't often do. When you overlay the plate with product, they also disappear.

Where abouts on the nail are the white marks? Does she have ski jump nails?

I wouldn't give this some fancy name.

The white patches are patches of surface dehydration; nothing more and nothing less. Comes from trauma, nails under pressure from being too long, repeated lifting etc.

They will disappear with loving care and attention to restore the moisture/oil balance in the nail plate (not the bed). Lots of Solar Oil. Peeps who use solar Oil, usually do not get this and the ones that don't often do. When you overlay the plate with product, they also disappear.

thanks geeg :)

the product I use is biosculpture gel... so when I next rebalance her nails, do i remove all product completely, and treat with solar oil, and reapply gel? ...Or remove product, apply solar oil, and leave product off for a few weeks??

Am I right in thinking some nails are more prone to this than others? Or is she simply harder on her nails than most?

Also, whilst these patches DO often disappear when product is reapplied, this time they didn't. Is this because they're simply more damaged than usual?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate your advice :)

p.s. I wasn't trying to give it 'fancy name', honest! ...just trying to work out what it was, and i thought the symptoms of pseudo leukonychia fitted the bill! (and I'll use my baby-brain as an excuse for the nail bed / plate mix-up!)

Last edited:
Where abouts on the nail are the white marks? Does she have ski jump nails?

the marks can appear anywhere, just in the general area that the lifting has occurred. Client doesn;t have ski jumps.. in fact she has particularly nice shaped nails! :)

the marks can appear anywhere, just in the general area that the lifting has occurred. Client doesn;t have ski jumps.. in fact she has particularly nice shaped nails! :)

So are these marks around the cuticle edge? The free edge? The middle of the nail?

How often are you soaking the nails off? It is very rare to get any lifting with Bio sculpture but if you do get quite an amount of lifting it is probably better to soak off and start with another set of overlays, as Bio sculpture is very difficult to buff smoothly compared to other gels when there is lifting.

I also agree that 4 weeks is far to long to go in between appointments.

Are you sure she is not picking at the nails?

So are these marks around the cuticle edge? The free edge? The middle of the nail?

How often are you soaking the nails off? It is very rare to get any lifting with Bio sculpture but if you do get quite an amount of lifting it is probably better to soak off and start with another set of overlays, as Bio sculpture is very difficult to buff smoothly compared to other gels when there is lifting.

I also agree that 4 weeks is far to long to go in between appointments.

Are you sure she is not picking at the nails?

the marks are in the area of lifting, so in middle of nail.. does this make a difference to what has caused it, do you think??

Don't think I have ever soaked off this client's nail, as I believe this is more likely to dehydrate nails??

I don't have much experience with other product brands, but i think biosculpture is as likely to lift as any other product, as it is subject to the same mistreatment by client, or lack of prep by the tech... I do get lifting with other clients, but find that it is ok to thin out product and remove area of lifting without soaking off, so it seems to be unique to this client...

I'm as certain as I can be that she's not a picker... gel is intact other than the lifting! I know that sounds daft, but there's no evidence of it being tampered with!!

so.. any suggestions for what to try next??

thanks hun :) x

So the lifting is in the middle of the nail and not around the edges at all

When did you do you Bio training as Bio sculpture now recommend that you soak off and not to do infills. I also dont soak off every set as some client dont need it, but how do you get rid of the lifting if it is in the middle of the nail?

I have never experienced lifting in the middle of the nail with Bio so not really sure what is causing it, maybe other bio users can help there. Did the other tech use Bio on this client?

So the lifting is in the middle of the nail and not around the edges at all

When did you do you Bio training as Bio sculpture now recommend that you soak off and not to do infills. I also dont soak off every set as some client dont need it, but how do you get rid of the lifting if it is in the middle of the nail?

I have never experienced lifting in the middle of the nail with Bio so not really sure what is causing it, maybe other bio users can help there. Did the other tech use Bio on this client?

i think we've confused each other. the gel lifted from the edges, but obviously by 3-4 wks the egdes of the gel have grown up and are in the middle of the nail! So the white marks are in the middle of the nail. But I'm not sure why this makes a difference?

I trained ages ago with Bio, so was taught to soak-off evey 2-3 appts. But I don't believe that using acetone so much is good for the nails (this opinion is based on a lot of info provided on this site). SO have always rebalanced unless i feel like a soak is necessary (it very rarely is IMO).

Not sure what product was used by other tech. Will def look into this.
x

I have a client who has this too....the nails look fine and when it comes to thinning it out there are patches that just seem to crumble away...then i see a white mark. I prep and reapply and i know that the next day the marks are gone (she tells me this) so i think its a temporally dehydration thing...this client goes 4 weeks...doesnt use her oil as she should and picks at her gel sometimes. None on my other clients get this so it must be her and her nails.

I don't think its you hun x

Ok - so the lifting is on the edge of the gel that was around the cuticle walls and appears further up the nail at the 4 week growth mark?

My experience with bio is that if there is any lifting it is very difficult to get rid of it completely when doing an infill as the lift mark is always there. The gel doesnt buff as well as the harder gels so I reckon that the white marks are where the gel has lifted and has not got a tight seal onto the nail.

If there are any lifting on a nail when I come to do an infil then it is just easier to soak off as recommened by Bio.

I would suggest posting this same question on the Bio Sculpture group to see if other Bio users have any better idea than me.

Sounds to me like your client is just a bit heavy handed. I have two clients with this exact problem and they have both admitted that they don't do their aftercare, as they are so used to their gel and simply don't look after them like they did when they first came. (new clients are the opposite.. they mind their nails like babies)
I'd say the reason for the problem happening in the forth week is because her nails have grown so much and she will be prone to hitting them as they are so long.

What I tend to do with clients whose nails grow very fast, is ask the client to come in after the second or third week to get her nails filed down a bit and re shaped... you can apply a clear layer of gel just to seal the ends.. only takes ten mins for this.

I actually soak off each time as I find Bio v hard to buff as it's such a soft gel.. hope this helps

thanks guys, all that helps a lot :)

think i'll suggest she goes less time between appt sin future, or comes in for a trim after a couple of weeks.

Am quite happy rebalancing bio, not soaking, as I always use s-gel as final layer and i find it buffs down really nicely... if i use clear as final layer, i agree it's much more difficult.

thanks again!

xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back