Light -Fingered Learners!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
I need to let off steam!!!
Just done a class, where only 4 people attended due to weather :irked:
Anyway, at the end of the session, as I was packing away, I heard one of the learners say that she had no blue tac left to stick her tips to her board at home and when I looked there were naked orange sticks (blue tac taken off) in the box.
The same person was also sticking her painted tips (with my blue tac I pressume) into a small tip case, you know, the ones you buy from Star Nails in packs of 50. I didnt think anything of it at the time because I have given them to people in the past to take their tips home in. However, when I got home I found that the tip case I use to keep all the foil strips that I cut to size ,was missing and so was about a tenners worth of foil!
I cant PROVE anything but Im really miffed.
How would you guys handle this sort of stuff ?..especially any tutors/teachers out there.
Thanx!

omg i dont blame you for being angry, i would be fuming, i would definely take her to one side next time i see her, explaine how you feel and that this is not acceptable, OR next time you have a class stand in front of all the students and say something like "last week i had a few things taken without my conscent from my kit, this is not fare it is not rught and someone knows they did it bla bla bla then say (and i know it may be a pain in the bum) from now on or untill someone admits to doing it you must ask before useing anything and i want everything checked and put away at the end of class,
something along them lines may work as this is what they did in my daughters school when paint sets went missing, all the kids soon got bored of it and the culprit had to own up, this way you show her for the thief she is:mad:

:evil: Thieving toe-rags :twisted:

You spend so much time helping people, it makes me so mad when something like this happens to people who try to help others.

2 pots of gel went missing when my mentor did one of her courses recently, she's fairly sure one of the students pinched them, but she can't prove it.

I just can't understand the mentality of these people :irked:

I don't know what to suggest but I'm annoyed on your behalf.

Go hoover the house with that lovely new Meile, that'll make you feel better :lol:

Trin
xx

Is it the same girls next class. Personally I would tackle the matter by saying that lots of items had gone missing and that you knew who had taken it. Say that if it is brought back to class next week ....and just reappears... then the matter will not be taken any further. If it does not reappear, then I would say good bye to that set of learners. you cannot go on loosing money like this.

You will probably get a lot better answers from the others on this site, but off the top of my head that is all I can think of at the mo.

Sorry you have had this experience. Dont let it put you off though.

Love Val

Thanx for your support so far guys :hug:
I usually check everything as we tidy away but, their coach came early and everyone was rushing around. Also, Ive had this group for the last 8 weeks and felt Id got to know them a bit... thats the bit that stings.
Oh well we live and learn... only not foiling anymore, (not that group anyway) lmao!!!

Trin you crack me up! :lol:
My new vac is ace... suction like you wouldnt believe, bet I could 'suck' my foil back from here! :wink2:

When I trained evrything was checked off and counted at the end of each class. If anything was missing we all at to stay put until it was found and checked off. This may seem a bit extreme but when I was training in Gel I witnessed a student putting a uv lamp into her bag :twisted:

This is really naughty I would not let it drop I would mention it next week in a sort of nice way that will make them feel quite guilty.:o

Maybe like this:

Last week when I got home I found a few items of mine missing! I can not afford for this to happen but worse than this I do not expect it to happen. I respect you girls and would hope to think you all respect me so if you need to lend any items off of me please just ask I will do my best to either tell you where you can buy the item from or I may have thses items myself that I can sell to you.

Caz xxx

the only way i think to deal with it right from the beginning of any course is to count all the stock at the beginning of the lesson and count at the end, as lell says.

it would be up to you to decide if you did it yourself or if they took it in turns to act as supervisor to do it for you on a rota basis, personnally i would choose the latter.

dawn

Working with students presents challenges that are totally unexpected. I've learned through trial and error, I'm always amazed at the things people will take, to only put out for use the things that are necessary for class and no more. In the case of nail art, having some pre designed tips for display that are firmly attached to a large object that would be noticably missing; I had a piece of plywood cut into the shape of an artist's pallet, covered it with fabric and glued the tips on.

Put together pre packaged supplies and only issue those "kits" for the class. Pack your self one of these kits to use and keep your supplies separate (on a different table). If you have other things to show, have a pre made step by step attached to your board, or the supplies necessary just for that demonstration and get nothing else out. Make sure that you have the names and numbers of the places where supplies may be purchased if they are interested.

It takes a little more time in preparation, but a lot less time in the agony and anger management in the end. Besides it's a lot easier to clean up when they are only responsible for a little box (cigar or school pencil boxes work well) and they aren't fingering your supplies. Then you have a little tighter inventory control and you know which supplies you use the most of, and what needs to be replaced or replenished. HTH

Thanx again for all your excellent suggestions.
The real irritating bit is we werent even using foils this week but, they were in the box where I put everything away at the end. (wont be so stupid again)
I left the room momentarily to get new couch roll as there was a spillage as the group were clearing up... all it takes is a few secs, eh! :rolleyes:
I feel really guillible but, I wont let this one person spoil it for me.
I shall def mention it next week, without naming names. Oh! and I think I shall use the checklist method at the start and end... just too push it home a bit more!
After reading lellipops post with the lightbox... feel I got off lightly!

You know what I would do Glo, I'd sit them down before the beginning of the class and inform them that items have gone missing from your kit and as responsible adults they should know better and due to the fact that whoever took the items cant be trusted in a nail industry environment, they have spoiled it for everyone else and not one of them will get their qualification or certificate......that should shake the yammers up Glo.

David

I agree with the others, definitely mention it. Maybe say that stuff has gone missing and you know who did it but won't mention any names in front of the class & this person has let them all down as you now have no more foil for them to work with. That should make them squirm if they think you know who did it. Chances are, if you spotted it, so did others in the class. You could give them the option to return the stuff anonymously by leaving it in the room after class or something. Let's hope the person involved feels ashamed enough to do the right thing (not likely I know but worth a try). Hope things work out ok for you Glo, at least we learn from our mistakes!

Missing Property:

The unecessary 'EVIL' that comes with the job.
The CHECK LIST before & after is A MUST.
Id be worried as a STUDENT will my things go missing after this is brought
to their attention.

Maybe a small % fee attached to the class to cover Breakage a Loss of SUPPLIES. REFUNDED at the end of the course. If all have been good.
It may not seem fair BUT It will keep their EYE"S on each other as well.

The personal STUDENT KITS would help to as Jenni said.
To prevent the OPPORTUNITY for them adding YOUR supplies to theirs.
Giving them THEIR OWN things to keep an EYE on also - keeping YOURS safe.

XX J XX

I don't think that the person who took them will bring them back if you broadcast it loudly.

Just say in passing next week i think someone picked up some of my foils by accident last week, when you get home can you all have a nose and if anyone finds them just stick them in an envelope and leave them at the reception desk for me. i think if you make light of it the person who took them knows who they are and will feel embarrassed and hopefully return them. if they think the whole class is looking at them for theft they may not return them but if they can pass it off as an accident they may do, or maybe send a letter out to them all they way you don't have to confront them.

There again do you think they are the sort of person to return the item or will they pretend it isn't them?

Did like the idea of withholding their certificates.

sorry i cant help anymore Hun and that you got treated this way especially by a group of people that you had trusted previously and who blantenly Took the p***
x
Big hugs Hun and hows the Hoover?

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I know you can't prove anything, but if you have this person booked in for any more classes I would politely cancel the lesson with them (just in case)! The best suggestions have already been made, but I just wanted to add my support.X

thats too bad glo :cry:
this has happened to me only once.
i now don't put out so much stuff at the beginning, and i will b thinking of a check list myself.
the biggest problem is when i visit large classes in colleges.
unfortunatly it only takes one person on one occasion to upset you.
dont let it get you down, sometimes it is better to chalk it up as experience.
liza x

I like Scattyfox's idea, mention it as though you think it was an oversight on the (thieving) person's part and ask them all to 'check' they hadn't picked up the foils accidentally. If you get them back, all well and good, but tell them when you first mention the loss that you're going to have to have everything checked before the end of each class now (and if that shortens their class by 10 or 15 minutes then that's their own fault!) because you can't afford for your items to go missing.

Jackie

I agree with Jackie and Lucia, if you tell them that some little toe rag has thieved your stuff then the guilty party is unlikely to admit it, plus it will make the honest peeps feel guilty as everyone gazes round the class trying to fathom out who the thief is.! (hope that made sense)

It's horrible to put your trust in people only to have it broken, it makes the innocent suffer for someone else's greed.

I'm sure I've got a load of foils stashed away that I got off QVC and never use, if you send me your addie Glo I'll chuck 'em in the post for you. Plus 4 custard tart trays - just had to get another pack tonight!!

Some individuals could be so dishonest sometimes! As if you won't miss the stuff in the end!

You live and learn, take good account of your stuff at your next class!

Take the hoover and suck the culprit up!!!

Latest posts

Back