Lighter hair without bleach?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara_jayde

Reaction score
I've had blackish hair (number 2) for the past 4 years and want a dark colour with a reddish tint. I've tried to dye it and it's only took at my roots!!! So I need to make it lighter first and only want to go a few shades lighter how can I do this without using bleach?!?

The only way to do this is with bleach or a colour remover. Don't attempt this yourself though as it can go very wrong! Lol x

The only way to do this is with bleach or a colour remover. Don't attempt this yourself though as it can go very wrong! Lol x

This isn't true
There are colour lines that can turn the darkest hair a very vibrant red

To the OP
Visit a few different salons, have some consultations, have a look through some colour charts with a colour technician : )

Yeah you could cut through it with a vibrant tint, but baby chops is right to remove it that's the two options!!! And I agree, def do not attempt on your own.

This isn't true

To the OP
Visit a few different salons, have some consultations, have a look through some colour charts with a colour technician : )

Whats that then?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

This isn't true

To the OP

Tint won't lift tint!?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Matrix so red or loreal majicontrast will lift to a dark red if used with a low peroxide on the coloured hair, any roots u can use a normal red tint x

This isn't true

To the OP

What colour lines will do that? X

You could use magma or maji contrast but iv never seen good results on a base 2 I would do as baby chops said and have a colour remover applied first then look at those brands xx

Scruples blazing lights although can go a little patchy on hair with a lot of colour build up.x

Matrix so red or loreal majicontrast will lift to a dark red if used with a low peroxide on the coloured hair, any roots u can use a normal red tint x

I could never get good results doing this with matrix x

This isn't true

To the OP

Not that can be applied full head. And most wont cut through years of base 2 being applied over and over.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

As the O.P has no qualifications, or work history set,and she doesn't already know the answer,
I see no reason to describe any techniques to her,
other than the advice that this can be achieved, and to go and seek a professional

The O.P said she wanted a dark colour, with a reddish tint, there is no need to strip the hair to achieve a dark reddish result.

As the O.P has no qualifications, or work history set,and she doesn't already know the answer,
I see no reason to describe any techniques to her,
other than the advice that this can be achieved, and to go and seek a professional

The O.P said she wanted a dark colour, with a reddish tint, there is no need to strip the hair to achieve a dark reddish result.

Yes there is. Are you a professional? If so you would know that tint won't lift tint, you can't apply magma etc to the scalp and that they do not promise to lift through years of colour build up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If it's very dark (a base 2) with a lot of colour build up, putting on a dark reddish tint will still not show up, (an all over tint) you will still need to strip some of the build up out! X

Putting a red tint over it wil do exactly as the op stated ...coloured her roots and not the rest if it were slices which I thought it actually was at first then could try magma or maji contrast but won't be good results on a base 2 x

I could never get good results doing this with matrix x

I find the loreal one a lot better but If she's wanting a dark red I would say this would work, it's worked for me before :) always best to do a strand test aswell though. Some clients I can do 20 vol on some clients 40 vol. jus gotta find the right one for that person. may take 2 applications but depends whether u wana go down the bleach bath or colour remover route :) x

To the op, the general advise will be to go to a salon as depending on how much red you wish to show through, if you wish to go lighter, you will need to have your base stripped slightly before applying the final colour to your mid-ends and your roots will have a different mix applied to ensure both come out as desired.

To someone mentioning magma, matrix, the others do lift to a vibrant red however the op is after a lighter brown with a slight red tint, lighter brown being the main point here, the op will need her base lifted a couple shades. If she goes to a salon and they apply one of these vibrant reds, first off they are not designed for on scalp, plus the roots would go luminous com paired to the ends, and chances are may not touch them with all that build up at a base 2 given they're designed for coloured base 4 and up are they not?

Some good points have been made but I think the overall message is the op needs a professional to do this colour correction x

What colour lines will do that? X

We used to stock Goldwell max range their r max and rv max were really good and defiantly lift dark tinted hair. It did get really hard to source so unsure if still available.

Last edited:
Majicontrast and magma will do nothing to base 2/0. And anyway, it would be better for the integrity of the hair if you used lightener+10vol+water then applied a semi all over..

Latest posts

Back