"Liking Long Fingernails on Men"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bootsy said:
Found this site while doing a search on google for nail sites.
"Liking Long Fingernails on Men"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~richardw/nails.htm
http://www.xs4all.nl/~richardw/mnailat.htm
I'm a straight man with very long fingernails. I'm 46 and have had long nails since I was 13, and I'd never be without them.

For as long as I can remember (back to the age of 5/6) I wanted to have long nails. I always keep them very clean (I clean them twice a day) and have a professional manicure every two weeks. I wear clear polish on them.

I don't understand the antipathy that a lot of people have towards men with long nails. Is this cultural conditioning? 40 years ago it was the same reaction for men with pierced ears (yes, I have pierced ears as well!). In some Asian cultures it's very acceptable for men to grow (very) long nails. Mine are about 3/4-inch from the fingertip and I intend to grow them longer when I retire - to the length I had them when I was a student (over an inch - perhaps 1.5 inches).

I get a lot of compliments about my nails (including from the lady who does my manicure), as well as a lot negative comments/furrowed brows and stares, but these don't bother me in the slightest. I'm past the age where I care what strangers think about me or my appearance. Call me eccentric if you like - call me anything; it doesn't worry me!

I love to see beautiful long nails on a woman, but I don't see them as being the preserve of just the female sex.

My £0.02.

ewww thats horrible are they real? xx

i m not really into that
last time one of my aol contacts sent me some pics
and i was like damn your nails are almost as long as mine
what s up with that
he just told me he has to"keep it ghetto"
crazy people from south florida tsk tsk tsk
made me think twice before meeting him in real life
gold teeth long nails :rolleyes: hmm what about noooooooo!!

NailsFrmHeaven said:
ewww thats horrible are they real? xx
Yes, they are real. I'd never do fakes. They're not horrible to me! But thanks for your opinion, anyway.

ikrip said:
Yes, they are real. I'd never do fakes. They're not horrible to me! But thanks for your opinion, anyway.

Are the pics your nails?

:irked: i feel sick just lookin at them lol

ikrip said:
I don't understand the antipathy that a lot of people have towards men with long nails. Is this cultural conditioning? 40 years ago it was the same reaction for men with pierced ears (yes, I have pierced ears as well!). In some Asian cultures it's very acceptable for men to grow (very) long nails. Mine are about 3/4-inch from the fingertip and I intend to grow them longer when I retire - to the length I had them when I was a student (over an inch - perhaps 1.5 inches).
Call me eccentric if you like - call me anything; it doesn't worry me!
cultural conditioning? nope, i'm not conditioned, i like what i like and i dislike what i dislike, not due to any conditioning but because that's who i am and that's my opinion etc.
i wouldn't call you an eccentric, if that's what you like then fair enough, each to their own :wink2:

1999judy said:
Are the pics your nails?
Which pics? No, I haven't posted any pics of my nails.

ValencianNails said:
cultural conditioning? nope, i'm not conditioned, i like what i like and i dislike what i dislike, not due to any conditioning but because that's who i am and that's my opinion etc.
i wouldn't call you an eccentric, if that's what you like then fair enough, each to their own :wink2:
Yes, but who you are and what you like are influenced by up-bringing, which in turn is influenced by culture.

ikrip said:
Which pics? No, I haven't posted any pics of my nails.

Sorry I assumed you were talking about the pics at the start of this thread.

ikrip said:
i dont have anything against any man or woman with long nails , its just i have never seen any men with nails that long x

1999judy said:
Sorry I assumed you were talking about the pics at the start of this thread.
That's OK. The link was put there by the OP, Bootsy. But they're not my nails!

NailsFrmHeaven said:
i dont have anything against any man or woman with long nails , its just i have never seen any men with nails that long x
It is a rare sight, but there are a few men around with nails like that.

ikrip said:
It is a rare sight, but there are a few men around with nails like that.
Really thats great, its nice to know some men do take care of theire nails coz my fella sure dont lol xx

NailsFrmHeaven said:
Really thats great, its nice to know some men do take care of theire nails coz my fella sure dont lol xx
I've recently noticed more and more men having a manicure at the place that I go to for mine (Soho, in Central London). I'm all for men taking care of their appearance - "grooming". At last, it's becoming less and less something that only women are "allowed" to do.

What some love others absoluty hate, now wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked and disliked the same things ???? then there would be no room for inspiration, discussion or the like... It would make conversations pretty short wouldn't it.... one word replies would all we would be using.... not geeky at all.....
What makes some cringe will make otheres singlol, as my Mum would have said... "If it don't scare the horses who am I to judge" lol.....Super long nails on men is not my cuppa but saying that, I do have male clients that have their nails that long and they do look after them a lot better than some of my female clients....I don't go into the scenario of why they like them long or what their motive is, I just do their nails and they are always happy with the end result....
Each to their own ....now where is my voddy ?????

ikrip said:
I've recently noticed more and more men having a manicure at the place that I go to for mine (Soho, in Central London). I'm all for men taking care of their appearance - "grooming". At last, it's becoming less and less something that only women are "allowed" to do.
i totally agree with you, it's fab to see that it is now socially acceptable for men to have pride in their appearances and not get labelled in the process.
wish i was able to get my hands on my hubby's cuticles though, i have tried but i got told (by him) that it's taken him over 20 years to get calluses and crappy looking nails and he isn't about to change it :eek: lol, that's the construction industry for you lol

p.s. Ruth, i've got your voddy right here, i've mixed it with diet coke lol xx

ikrip said:
Well Hun, if you ever unhappy with the Manicures in Soho come and see me in Cannon Street.....I am all for men looking after themselfs, Male grooming that inlcudes nails on not just posh suits is on the up.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Well Hun, if you ever unhappy with the Manicures in Soho come and see me in Cannon Street.....I am all for men looking after themselfs, Male grooming that inlcudes nails on not just posh suits is on the up.
Thanks - I may take you up on that!

ikrip said:
Yes, but who you are and what you like are influenced by up-bringing, which in turn is influenced by culture.
If this is so then did your father have long nails? are you from a culture where long nails are popular for men? Are you conditioned by your culture? Im interested.

Ive never towed the line of convention, broke my parents hearts growing up because they were the most conventional people on the planet.
Also, my experience of British culture is that it is one of the most diverse due to the many influences of the different nationalities here.

Im not particularly into long nails on your average stereotypical male. It may suit some men's image but, on your average Joe, I find it a bit of a turn-off.
JMO.

Latest posts

Back