Little bit lost, client wants lighter hair colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I'm right lol..I'm sure of it! If you want to weaken peroxide you add water to it not a weaker strength peroxide. 3 + 6 = 9%

I could be wrong here but I don't think this is right???

If you added 3% to 6% it would weaken the 6%. Depending on how much you put it.

I'm sure if you mixed 12% with 3% would that not give you 9%???

I ran it past my science teacher friend and I now hang my head in shame lol
Although she also said that you should never mix two peroxides together where there is oxygen as you could create a mini bomb lol

I knew there was a reason!

I have a similar client who has 12/0 with 12/11 mixed with 12%. She needs the 12/11 for her orange (or strawberry as you mention):cool: Lifts it really well, maybe it is light enough, but she just needs a bit if ash

Oops good to know as I have mixed before!!

I could be wrong here but I don't think this is right???

If you added 3% to 6% it would weaken the 6%. Depending on how much you put it.

I'm sure if you mixed 12% with 3% would that not give you 9%???

Nope, 12 + 3 = 15. 15/2 = 7.5. So in equal parts, you'd get something like a 25 vol.

I agree with CHarvey.
Once u have put the foils in you could also 'flood' the rest of the hair with color touch sunlights /18. Sunlights lift natural hair up to 2 shades, so this may help make it look lighter for her too and with it designed to look natural it would lessen the look of the regrowth. I've never use these on natural red heads though so dunno how well it will work with the
It will deffinately help cool it down though

Sunlights -never enough virgin heads to use them on!such a lovely product

Sunlights -never enough virgin heads to use them on!such a lovely product

I totally agree. They are lovely to do roots between foils to give clients a "blonder look"

I totally agree. They are lovely to do roots between foils to give clients a "blonder look"

Just used one today actually and there's me moaning I never get to use them!

If I remember correctly mixing to peroxides together doesn't weaken it it makes it stronger. Two positives together doubles it doesn't water down.. So mixing 3% ands 6% actually makes a 9% rather then a 4% if you get what I mean..
I could be wrong but that's what I was told on my advanced Loreal colouring course and it makes sense

I believe the stronger eats the weaker.. So mixing 3% with 6% makes it all be 6% , from what I have been taught by wella, they dont substract or add on eachother. So if u mix 20 volume with 40 volume it all becomes 40 volume

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

Mixing 6% in equal parts with 3% gives you 4.5%. It does not give you 9%.

I think some of you must be tired. Lol.

I just hope future readers of this thread get this far to realise that. There's already enough students moving out of colleges knowing not much at all without us confusing them as well. ;)

I agree, I think this thread could do with being deleted or modified.
3% + 9%= 6%
6% + 12%=9%
If you mixed 12% and 9% you wouldn't get 21%!! You'd get 10.5%.

Cheap 'own brand' peroxides can be diluted by using distilled pure water. But branded peroxides are better intermixed as they contain buffers and stabilisers that work in conjunction with the tint. Using water to dilute the peroxide would also dilute these buffers and stabilisers.

All in all we should all be keeping a good stock. But...if you get desperate you can mix your peroxides!

I agree, I think this thread could do with being deleted or modified.
3% + 9%= 6%
6% + 12%=9%
If you mixed 12% and 9% you wouldn't get 21%!! You'd get 10.5%.

Cheap 'own brand' peroxides can be diluted by using distilled pure water. But branded peroxides are better intermixed as they contain buffers and stabilisers that work in conjunction with the tint. Using water to dilute the peroxide would also dilute these buffers and stabilisers.

All in all we should all be keeping a good stock. But...if you get desperate you can mix your peroxides!

I agree I was mistaken about the results but no, it is not recommended by any colour house to dilute peroxides in ANY WAY! Don't do it!! Simples

And adding "a dash" or a "squirt" of something to accelerate a colour to me means that you don't have the knowledge to pick out the correct colours for your client. Say you add a dash of 9% to your 6% to give your colour a boost. Works great but then what happens next time?? Say your squirt is a smaller squirt then your colleague who looks after the client the next time and you get too much and it lightens the clients hair to the point of breakage??
It's rather like the good old days of adding a sprinkle of bleach powder to high lift tint. Pure laziness because people couldn't be bothered waiting 60mins for their hls to take and it resulted in bright yellow hair, bleeding Highlights and damage to hair which wouldn't have happened if people had just followed manufacturers instructions!
I'm a professional, I don't need to cut corners in this manner :)

I would never add a 'dash' of anything for extra lifting. But if for some unknown reason I ran out/spilt/left the top off a 6%, I know I could make 6% from 3% and 9%. I never have to but I have got the knowledge to do so if necessary. x

Just had a little chuckle at how off topic this got! :biggrin:

Off to mix my 40% vodka with some 35% whisky to see if I can get smashed on a 75% proof drink...... actually...probably could.
Lightweight, me.

I do have to add though, whilst I understand what youre saying CHarvey, yes cutting corners is just lazy, but there is ALWAYS room in this industry for experimenting, creativity and FUN!
So perhaps not a "squirt" but if you measure your colours down to the ml as I do, then there's nothing stopping you from mixing 4 colours to make one bespoke one, surely?
xx

Just had a little chuckle at how off topic this got! :biggrin:

Off to mix my 40% vodka with some 35% whisky to see if I can get smashed on a 75% proof drink...... actually...probably could.
Lightweight, me.

I do have to add though, whilst I understand what youre saying CHarvey, yes cutting corners is just lazy, but there is ALWAYS room in this industry for experimenting, creativity and FUN!
So perhaps not a "squirt" but if you measure your colours down to the ml as I do, then there's nothing stopping you from mixing 4 colours to make one bespoke one, surely?
xx

I'd mix colours, and frequently do but never, ever peroxides..I prefer the old "order enough stock and keep it under control" method ;)
As for the Vodka analogy, yes actually that would work if you drank it all :)

Yes, in an ideal world we would never run out of anything - including vodka!
I have learnt to keep a secret stash of bleach and peroxides that the team dont know about. Its amazing how less wasteful they are if they think thats all they have :rolleyes:
xx

Yes, in an ideal world we would never run out of anything - including vodka!
I have learnt to keep a secret stash of bleach and peroxides that the team dont know about. Its amazing how less wasteful they are if they think thats all they have :rolleyes:
xx

I must live in an ideal world then ;) for I am surrounded by bottles as we speak..both Vodka and peroxide..I wonder what happens if I mix the two?

Not sure I'd drink that concoction but I'll bet its good for polishing halos....... :wink2:

I've always got loads of peroxide! And vodka....currently stashing 4 litres in case I run out x

Latest posts

Back