Loading I-stock photos onto a freewebs site

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi there Geeks,
Ive just recently purchased some credits to put some piccies onto my Freewebs site ,Ive choosen a picture today but when I went to upload it onto the site, its saying Im running low on space to store and I need to upgrade.
Im therefore just checking first with yourselves to see if it is possible to upload I-stock photos onto Freewebs site,before I go paying out to upgrade for the year,otherwise I might as well hang onto the credits/pics for when I get a more proffesional site at a later date.Thanks :smack:

How much storage space do they give you on your current package? And how much extra is the upgrade?

There shouldn't be any difference between iStock pics and any other photos; you normally only need the smallest available resolution of pics from iStock for web use anyway; there's no point in buying high res pics as they'll need to be resized down for web use anyway.

How much storage space do they give you on your current package? And how much extra is the upgrade?

There shouldn't be any difference between iStock pics and any other photos; you normally only need the smallest available resolution of pics from iStock for web use anyway; there's no point in buying high res pics as they'll need to be resized down for web use anyway.

Hi Ruth ,
Thanks for your reply,my current package is $99.95 for the year with 1000mb web storage,upgrade would be $249.95 for the year with 5000mb storage,how does that sound?

Hi Ruth ,
Thanks for your reply,my current package is $99.95 for the year with 1000mb web storage,upgrade would be $249.95 for the year with 5000mb storage,how does that sound?

1000 MB should be ample for the vast majority of websites (as it's approximately 1 GB) - in which case I'm surprised that you are getting a message saying that you are running out of space when you're trying to upload a few iStock images!

And 5000 MB (~ 5GB) is huge! I'd only anticipate someone needing that much storage if they're hosting things like large numbers of music files or video, or a gargantuan image library!

The only reason I could imagine anyone coming close to 1000 MB for a website is if they've uploaded pics directly from a digital camera without resizing them first; most images on websites probably don't need to be more than say 640 pixels wide or high; using original pics from a digital camera without resizing isn't a good idea because it uses up a lot more network bandwidth, makes the images a lot slower to load, and also means that people are getting their hands on original images in maximum quality rather than much smaller resized versions.

So I'd make sure that the images already on your website have been resized and optimised for the web, before contemplating upgrading your package and ending up paying over the odds for something you almost certainly don't need (especially as the upgrade is 2 and a half times what you're paying at the moment).

1000 MB should be ample for the vast majority of websites (as it's approximately 1 GB) - in which case I'm surprised that you are getting a message saying that you are running out of space when you're trying to upload a few iStock images!

And 5000 MB (~ 5GB) is huge! I'd only anticipate someone needing that much storage if they're hosting things like large numbers of music files or video, or a gargantuan image library!

The only reason I could imagine anyone coming close to 1000 MB for a website is if they've uploaded pics directly from a digital camera without resizing them first; most images on websites probably don't need to be more than say 640 pixels wide or high; using original pics from a digital camera without resizing isn't a good idea because it uses up a lot more network bandwidth, makes the images a lot slower to load, and also means that people are getting their hands on original images in maximum quality rather than much smaller resized versions.

So I'd make sure that the images already on your website have been resized and optimised for the web, before contemplating upgrading your package and ending up paying over the odds for something you almost certainly don't need (especially as the upgrade is 2 and a half times what you're paying at the moment).

Yes Ruth ,good thinking that is a possibility as a few of them I put on a couple of years ago and there probly is the chance I didnt down size them then...wasnt aware of all that sort of thing then,so I ll give it a try.Many thanks :hug:

Latest posts

Back