Lockdown and box dyes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahsmith88

Reaction score
Hello, simce we have had to close, we have had so many clients asking about recommendations for box dyes!
What do you tell tge clients?
Im thinking if just saying we cannot recommend box dyes as we are nit trained in using those colours and we do not know what is in the product or what shade it may be?

I would say something along the lines of:

Hi lovely to hear from you,

I can’t believe we are having to resort to this, I am prepared for colour corrections after it’s over.

Please bear in mind that correcting colour after a box dye can be a lengthy process so if it doesn’t go well, it likely won’t be a quick one visit and could take months of appointments with time between them to fix.

While I never recommend using a box colour, based on your own hair and the colours you usually like, I would say avoid x x and x colours (eg if they are always perfect blonde and they never experiment but want to use blue they will be all greeny when it fades and probably freak out...if they always moan about being orange then no brown if they want to go back to blonde after or suggest a toner, if they are very plain suggest something to enhance what they’ve got something very similar and not more than a few shades either way, maybe if they say brown dyes ‘pull red’ (I always have an inner giggle when anyone says that like how do they think brown is made hahaaaaa).

That way, you’ve given them something but not enough to tell them what to do so you cant be blamed when they mess it up. Plus they will be more likely to be like ooh yeah they helped me I will go back there after this.

I wouldn’t be recommending any brands though. Holly Willoughbys blonde video is going to cause so many mess ups haha. She does it well but anyone with colour on is going to think wow what a good idea.

Colour correctors are going to be making a lot of money after this haha.

I wouldn’t commit anything in writing if you’re discussing over the counter products.
If they get it wrong they could threaten to sue you and that’s distressing enough, even when they clearly have no grounds to claim.

Hello, simce we have had to close, we have had so many clients asking about recommendations for box dyes!
What do you tell tge clients?
Im thinking if just saying we cannot recommend box dyes as we are nit trained in using those colours and we do not know what is in the product or what shade it may be?

A few hairdressers in my area have sold kits for people to do their own roots and then done a demo video x

A few hairdressers in my area have sold kits for people to do their own roots and then done a demo video x
Be careful with this, it's breaking the manufacturers instructions, which will then make your insurance void if there are any contraindications. A few colour houses have made statements that if their colour is sold to non professionals, to be used in a non professional setting, they have the right to close your account /stop you purchasing.

Be careful with this, it's breaking the manufacturers instructions, which will then make your insurance void if there are any contraindications. A few colour houses have made statements that if their colour is sold to non professionals, to be used in a non professional setting, they have the right to close your account /stop you purchasing.

Yea I know what your saying ronray. But do you know what gets me and I know it’s a different discussion but they are saying they have a right to close your account, yet anyone can walk into a Salon services store like the one we have in our town wether you are a trade professional or just member of public and buy any colour/peroxide from any colour house I’ve seen people buying it. It’s so contradictory x

I see you’re from Bristol. I used to live around there and shop in the small salon services (near Sainsbury’s) and they we’re lax then, so I’m not surprised by your comment. Mind you, they also offered dodgy advice to punters regarding colouring too. I used to listen and say nothing. :rolleyes:

I found that Capital and Aston & Fincher were much stricter about checking your qualifications and more professional generally, so tended to shop with them. There was also a nice friendly independent wholesalers near A&F, if I recall correctly?

I now mostly purchase from an independent wholesalers in Cork, (Salon Shop) and they’re really lovely and helpful staff. I like to support the independents.

I see you’re from Bristol. I used to live around there and shop in the small salon services (near Sainsbury’s) and they we’re lax then, so I’m not surprised by your comment. Mind you, they also offered dodgy advice to punters regarding colouring too. I used to listen and say nothing. :rolleyes:

I found that Capital and Aston & Fincher were much stricter about checking your qualifications and more professional generally, so tended to shop with them. There was also a nice friendly independent wholesalers near A&F, if I recall correctly?

I now mostly purchase from an independent wholesalers in Cork, (Salon Shop) and they’re really lovely and helpful staff. I like to support the independents.

Yea there is one in Ashton near Sainsbury’s which is now trade only. But they have one in town now to and it’s terrible and yea your right about the dodgy advice [emoji23][emoji849] I prefer capital and Aston and fincher. Oh I don’t know about the independent one I’ll have a look.

Yea I know what your saying ronray. But do you know what gets me and I know it’s a different discussion but they are saying they have a right to close your account, yet anyone can walk into a Salon services store like the one we have in our town wether you are a trade professional or just member of public and buy any colour/peroxide from any colour house I’ve seen people buying it. It’s so contradictory x
Such a good point, but then the only people who will be responsible is the person who bought it from the suppliers. If we provide it we'd still be liable.
We used to have a Sally's that was fairly local to me and they used to sell to the public.... Until they had a massive law suit on their hands, can't remember what happened exactly, but they lost the case and they no longer sell to the public.

I would not recommend anything to my clients, box dye wise.
If they want to do it, that’s on them, but I’ve made it clear they mess it up, they will pay correction prices.

Latest posts

Back