Log cabin advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfp1980

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anybody have any advice with regards to setting up a log cabin beauty room in your garden?

I offer spray tans so would need a separate area to do those, and I also want to offer body wraps so will need a shower installing.

If anybody has any advice I would love to hear it 😊 xx

I would of thought by the sounds of all the space needed and plumbing you may as well rent commercial premises. Just me opinion though :)

I think it's a good idea to get your own log cabin rather than renting as you may as invest in yourself rather than give money to someone else for renting somewhere.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing :)

I have a log cabin which I work from, I do spray tans, nails, eyelash extensions and nails from it. I have a room divider which I use for privacy while spray tanning and also if there are more than one client then it's comfortable for everyone. I LOVE working in my log cabin it's very peaceful and a great place to work from. I will add some photos for you to see and let us know what you decide to do x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403285087.478782.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403285106.843911.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403285124.889214.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403285151.347176.jpg

Your cabin looks lovely!

I rent a room at the moment and although I haven't been there 6 months yet I am not benefiting from it, my clients are friends of friends and recommendations, I don't get messages via the main landline, am singled out and am just not enjoying it,
It's taking the joy out of what I love to do.
I just think a cabin is the cheapest option as opposed to buying a premises and have a mortgage each month, or pay rent when it could be in my pocket or paying for future courses, products etc.

How do you heat it, is it warm enough in the winter? X

Your cabin looks lovely!

I rent a room at the moment and although I haven't been there 6 months yet I am not benefiting from it, my clients are friends of friends and recommendations, I don't get messages via the main landline, am singled out and am just not enjoying it,
It's taking the joy out of what I love to do.
I just think a cabin is the cheapest option as opposed to buying a premises and have a mortgage each month, or pay rent when it could be in my pocket or paying for future courses, products etc.

How do you heat it, is it warm enough in the winter? X

I have a heater in there which is on a thermostat, also my log cabin holds the heat well it doesn't take too much heating. Not only is my log cabin a great place to work from we use it for parties and BBQs all I have to do is roll my posters up and put the massage bed away so for us its multi purpose. It was certainly the best option for me. X

Thank you for your reply lk.nails :)
Do you have to bring products into the house when it's hot? I used to have a log cabin at our old house and it was so hot in the summer x

Are log cabins able to move from one property to another?

We currently live at my mums rented property whilst saving for a house and really want a log cabin space for hair and nails but I would want to move it to our next owned property.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I do believe you can move them, as ours was second hand at our last property and I'm sure they're all built the same x

Might sound a bit stupid but how do you move them? Lol

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

They are put together using thick
Slats so you can just dismantle and reassemble x

lk.nails - your cabin is just gorgeous!!
Do you also use the room divider to give them privacy whilst changing etc. and the couch behind the divider?

Also, what do you do if the client asks to use the loo? Let them use one in the house?

Sorry for all the questions :) thanks

Lottie x

Hiya,
Your log cabin looks lovely,im currently completing my training in eyelash extensions and i do spray tanning and was thinking of setting up a log cabin to work from but wanted some advice on legal stuff i.e,did you need planning permission for the cabin to use as a buisness? did you need any licensing or have to talk to environmental department before setting up and do you need other insurances apart from treatment and liability?sorry for all the questions but im just starting out and want to make sure everything is done properly.
Many Thanks

Do they get really hot in the summer? I can imagine they are lovely & snug in the winter with an adequate heater. x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a heater in there which is on a thermostat, also my log cabin holds the heat well it doesn't take too much heating. Not only is my log cabin a great place to work from we use it for parties and BBQs all I have to do is roll my posters up and put the massage bed away so for us its multi purpose. It was certainly the best option for me. X

How much was your log cabin and size please? X

Having looked into this option for my home based business, there appears to be so much 'red tape' surrounding the use of Log Cabins for commercial use. I was informed by my local council that if constructing a log cabin or similar facility for use as a beauty salon, you would be required by law to have the following facilities:

Disabled access (ie ramp, wider door ways, etc)
Disabled toilet facilities
Fire Escape and pathed access around the construction for escape/access
Surplus insulation
Registration of the ground the cabin is sited on for business rates.

In my opinion this is absolutely ridiculous as at the end of the day, a log cabin is no more than a glorified shed lets face it!….but fire escapes….come on!!

So for those trading out there with paying customers visiting their premises, beware, as although the council may not know you exist, all it takes is for someone to lift the phone and hey presto….end of venture.

My husband and I decided against it as although we could have gone ahead and build a 'shed' to use for business, I just couldn't sleep at night knowing that if anything went wrong or we were reported by a neighbour then we wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Sorry folks, may seem a bit harsh, but just passing on what I was told.

Also, forgot to ad - by the time we calculated the cost of erecting such a construction according to the guidelines, we would be just as well putting a small extension on the house and at least it would add value to the property where as a log cabin certainly wouldn't.

The problems a lot of the time is the rules vary from council to council. Sounds like you're just a bit unlucky with yours :(

Latest posts

Back