London College of Beauty Therapy NVQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saya

Reaction score
Hello peeps,

I am not beauty qualified, it was my intention to set a beauty salon up and recruit the staff to deliver the services, with me in overall management.
I have been trying set up my own Beauty Salon since last year but have been struggling to secure the finance.
With all the time it's taking, I could have picked an industry qualification, so now I'm thinking of taking a course whilst, the finance is ongoing.

Unless someone can recommend a recognised salon management course, I'm considering NVQ level 2 Beauty Therapy in the London College of Beauty Therapy. It's full-time 6 months, followed by level 3 for another 6 months.
What are your thoughts on this course? has anyone done it before?
It seems short, though it could be because it is 3 full days a week (most colleges seem to offer it as a 1 year part-time only), hmm?
Is it well recognised/ recommended?

If I don't want to deliver the services myself, should I be doing it at all?
If anything, I wouldn't mind taking a waxing course, can I just do a recognised waxing course without the need to be NVQ level 3?

I think even if you aren't planning to do treatments you should have a beauty qualification if you are planning to open a salon. If a customer took issue with one of your staff and they way they did something you need to know whats right and whats not. also if someone was off sick you could take over their clients for the day. To me it makes sense to be qualified in the industry if your going to be working in it especially at management level IMO :mad:)

I agree with donna you should really know what the industry is about and be able to do the treatments.

I went to the London College of Beauty, and I must say it was the best, My course was 9months tho and 4 days a week, The teachers there are fab and the facillities are really up to date and really good. I couldnt recommend that college more. xx

Go and do the courses hun! The reason the courses at this college are so short is because you dont have half terms, so you will work through them. I am doing 3 days a week for 1 yr because i have half terms.
You will learn so much about business, products,data protection, and all that sort of thing. It's well worth it.
Good luck xxx

Oh thanks, I've been trying set up for over a year now, I could have gotten qual by now! Hindsight ay!!
They book up quite fast, but i'm going to try.x

I done my nvq2 manicure and pedicure and nvq 3 nail extensions at the london college of beauty therapy years ago and found it fantastic.they expect a good standard of work and the nail bar open to the public is great also.

However my only comment to you really would be that you should not relay on anyone else to perform the treatments you are going to offer.do not expect someone you emply to do something you are not prepared to do yourself.

All i am saying it that the biggest problem i have had since opening my salon 2 years and 8 months ago is...STAFF!!It is not that easy finding trust worthy , hardworking staff that are good at what they were trained to do.

In business i would say relay on one person only..yourself.Fpr example i would never offer a waxing service in my salon unless i was competent in waxing myself....what happens if my "waxer" walked out,was on maternity leave , went sick....

You need to be the back up,the back bone to your salon...lead your staff by example...if your not qualified in beauty and they are you may find one or two that walk all over you

good luck.

Could not go pass this one. I was a student at this particular college. What can I say... I would love actually to meet people who say that the college is fantastic, cause it seems like we have been going to different places. Since I signed up for the course it has been constant struggle, lack of organization and harassment from both staff (from cleaners to receptionists) and tutor. The salon is dirty, the state of toilets reflects what college thinks of its students, most of the equipment is broken, the products that you require for treatments are nowhere to be found and staff cant be bothered to help you to find it. On numerous occasions my tutor was going to lunch just as my client arrived, so we had to wait for her for at least 45 minutes. I dont remember a single lesson to start on time (minimum 30 minutes later with any of the tutor in college). The assesment procedures are good, but they are not followed. Once I have been doing perm on a client after the other student did an eyelash tint on her. As I was cleansing her eyes I noticed that the tint was not washed off properly, I informed my tutor, but that student got "compitent" on a treatment. Now imagine her working in a salon... happy customers guaranteed. I am not trying to be bitchy, but I have my qualifications in nail services from different college and I can really see the difference. This place is just a joke.
I really hope that education there is pleasure for many other students, that you have been lucky to have a tutor who cares, for our group, unfortunately, this was not the case.

Could not go pass this one. I was a student at this particular college. What can I say... I would love actually to meet people who say that the college is fantastic, cause it seems like we have been going to different places. Since I signed up for the course it has been constant struggle, lack of organization and harassment from both staff (from cleaners to receptionists) and tutor. The salon is dirty, the state of toilets reflects what college thinks of its students, most of the equipment is broken, the products that you require for treatments are nowhere to be found and staff cant be bothered to help you to find it. On numerous occasions my tutor was going to lunch just as my client arrived, so we had to wait for her for at least 45 minutes. I dont remember a single lesson to start on time (minimum 30 minutes later with any of the tutor in college). The assesment procedures are good, but they are not followed. Once I have been doing perm on a client after the other student did an eyelash tint on her. As I was cleansing her eyes I noticed that the tint was not washed off properly, I informed my tutor, but that student got "compitent" on a treatment. Now imagine her working in a salon... happy customers guaranteed. I am not trying to be bitchy, but I have my qualifications in nail services from different college and I can really see the difference. This place is just a joke.
I really hope that education there is pleasure for many other students, that you have been lucky to have a tutor who cares, for our group, unfortunately, this was not the case.

Hi

how long ago did you go to the college?
I went about 5years ago and i can not say a bad word about it. my tutor was great, the college was spotless and the toilets always clean. we always had equipment and products on hand aswell. the only thing i would say bad actually was the uniform and being a college full of girls it did get a little bitchy.

Has it really changed that much, wow, they must not have the same staff as they did when i went there then. what a shame, as it was a very good college.

xx

I started my course last year.
Seems like they have really let themselves go. Shame, cause I only whent there because of their reputation, could have saved half of the money by going to local college.

I started my course last year.
Seems like they have really let themselves go. Shame, cause I only whent there because of their reputation, could have saved half of the money by going to local college.

awww that is a shame because it honestly was a very good college 5years ago.

dont be too downhearted about it tho because having "Trained at The London College of beauty" on your CV really helps as employers see it as a good college still.
xx

hmm? uh oh?

Doesn't sound assuring...
I'm going to the open day tommorrow, where I will figure out when I'm going to do the course.

Would be very helpful if you could let me know the names of these dissapointing teachers. I guess all I can do, in my interest, is make sure they don't teach me and hope that the ones that will are better!

Sorry, I cannot remember their names as they were changing so rapidly. Antoinette Williams would be the one that you should never ever go for. She was taking us for quite some time and she admitted herself that she does not care about this course as she has a big promotion coming up.
I liked Candase and Mary very much, they vere helpfull with a feedback and always on time for lectures. Rashel is good with students, but again often dissapears without explanation or is late for lesson.
Sorry can't help you any more then that.
Good luck for tomorrow.

P.S. they will let you use customers toilet during your open day. Dont be tricked by that (or by leather couch in waiting area :). Go to the basement to have a look at students toilet, locker room and so-called rest room. And if you have a chance have a look at the computer room as well, which is nothing as a picture on a web site. This is all in main building at 47 Great Marlborough street. They have another building across the road but I have never been to this one, it is probably better... I doubt it though.

Last edited:
Saya, how did it go?

Lol, that's very cheeky of them!
It seems to be a very popular place to study, we were having to wait in the entrance corridor because the leather seated area was full, and we were waiting for almost half an hour from start time. During that time we watched many students pass by.
One thing we distinctly noticed was the lack of a smile on their faces, hmm..
We were eventually taken to a beautiful grand looking room, seated and were given a quick presentation of what we were here for.
Numeracy and literacy tests were very hard, I mean I have an A-Level in Maths and noticed that the levels of the questions were above that.
Then I needed as part of the interview, we needed to submit a 200 word personal statement about why we want to do the course, followed by the verbal questioning, another opportunity to beg?
I thought it was all a bit much for an NVQ level 2, I mean this is compared to enrollling on Masters, which I found a hell of a lot easier.
So anyways, as I didn't have all my docs (well, considering I'm a white collar worker, I thought they were having me on with the statement, so I didn't do it, and proof of my GCSEs! that was over 10 years ago!, then references from previous employers! I hated them, thats why I'm changing careers, besides it's only a part-time evening course!)
My app remains pending until I can tick all these off, by which time, no doubts the spaces will be taken for anytime soon...
I think I'll try somewhere else instead!...

Hi , i also couldnt resist this one , i went to london college of beauty therapy around 12 years ago they were based in great tichfield street then, i am now a teacher of beauty therapy and own a training school in spain so i feel that i got a lot out of it ,back then they were not funded and we didnt have to sit entrance exam and show all my qualifications , but since they have got the funding the standards have slipped so much i recently went back there to see as the had a vacancy posted and i was thinking of applying , i can honestly say that the student definatly lacked a smile and the tutors didnt appear to be as happy either all in all a bad experiance i had a manicure by a lovely girl who had been there 3 months and had never ben shown how to polish . after 3 months she still hadnt been assesed . needless to say i decided not to apply .
One of the best schools with the highest standards that ive seen in uk is international aesthticennes (I.A . for short) this is run by lilian maund she is an amazing lady and her standards are very high it is a private school and she also runs residential courses it may be out of many people buget i have previously taught the I.A sylubus and it is a lot more in depth than the NVQ . may be worth talking wth her . it is definatly worth doing a course if you are going to be in the industry .
please feel free to pm me if i can help in anyway
angie

I cannot comment on London College of Beauty but I am an experienced nail technician with my NVQ in Nails and CND Masters in L&P and have recently embarked on my NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy.

Firstly, I can only say how amazed I am at how wonderful my educators are. I have never been pushed to my limit so much with educators so dedicated just through sheer passion of their industry. I heard so many negative and so many young students receive such a sub-standard education in Beauty at colleges that I was totally flabergasted at the standard of training I am getting. I keep on telling my fellow students who are, like me, struggling to keep the pace that it would obviously be so much easier for our educators to pass us easily but they set a high standard and demand 110%. I am happy with that because I know that they give 120%!

I am doing 2.5 days a week, Tuesday am, Wednesday and Thursday. We are run ragged. I struggle to catch my breath. Perhaps it is just me but I would find it an even harder struggle to meet the demands of Beauty Therapy Level 2, 3 days a week in 6 months. Having said that, perhaps you don't have the mid-term breaks general colleges have.

I am loving Beauty Therapy Level 2. It is such a big and real challenge for me and I hope to go on to complete Level 3 BUT I have no illusions on how even more challenging Level 3 is.

As for owning/running a beauty salon, I think it is paramount that you have a professional insight into industry standards and I don't think you can have that without being qualified, even if it is just to Level 2. At least then you would know good basic requirements. HTHs

I too could not resist :)
I qualified from here in October 2007 after doing a part time evening course for one year for NVQ II Beauty.
My initial impression on open day was that it was fab, however I found good and bad points.
The toilets are a STATE we moaned about them all of the time (considering it is all girls there it really is discusting!)
The steamers never worked and there was always lack of equipment, however I had a tutor called Carrie who was new at the time I joined and she was great! She knew exactly what she was on about and didn't seem to mess around too much like some of the other tutors, I learnt a lot there and it was perfect for what I wanted, the only thing I would moan about like I said was some of the facilities etc....
I would check what tutor you would get first (if only :))

x

Latest posts

Back