Lone working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
I dont really know where to post this to be honest, but I've spoke to a couple of people who say its illegal. Are you allowed to work in a salon, when employed, by yourself.... ive been asked to work later nights, i know already whats going to happen.... everyone is going to finish before me and leave whilsy im there on my own untill 8 o'clock at night. I already dont feel comfortable with this but i just wanted to know whether it is actually illegal or not. Thanks

I couldn't comment on whether it's legal or not as I really don't know. But if you don't feel comfortable with it and it's making you on edge, then I would say don't do it. At the end of the day you have been asked so you do have a choice. Hopefully someone can reply with a better response and let you know the legality, but good luck :) xx

I'm not sure if it is illegal or not but your employer has a duty of care to ensure your safety. I read that some insurance companies don't cover lone working either.

As previously said, if you are uncomfortable then that's that.

If you decide to do it safety precautions should be put in place and also you shouldn't get left with all the end of day cleaning etc.

Good luck hun xx

well i dont really want to do it im just annoyed that everyone will get to go home whilst it's me that keeps the salon open for business. I dont really think this is my job and i don't understand why some owners just come and go as they please :/.... in the dark nights im not going to feel safe at all but i will point this out to her x

It's not illegal for an employer to require you to work alone, they do However have a responsibility to carry out a risk assessment if needed - such things as are you required to cash up at the end of the day? Risk assessment would be to lock the door when doing so & putting it in a safe etc.
It doesn't bother myself working alone (I do on 3 days). I do understand you being uncomfortable doing so - Id have a word with your employer about it and ask if there can be another employee to lock up with you at least several times until you are used to dong it x

I'll add that some insurance companies require 2 employees to lock up premises when closing.

Ok thankyou x

+1 to what everyone has already said. Also, your employer should have a lone worker policy written to show that they have considered the risks and dealt with them accordingly. Any employees that find themselves working alone should be given a copy of the policy.

Your employer can find some useful info via the HSE http://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/workers/lone.htm

Are you a manager? Was this in your contract? If not, say you're not comfortable and a colleague should also get paid to stay with you if the owner's not there.
Personally though, I don't see a problem with working til 8 'at night' (I'd call it evening!) even if it does start getting dark. I mean, what do you do in the winter when it starts getting late at 3:30 pm? Sorry, but I was working in Burger King til 1am when I was 17 and relying on public transport to get home and I still lived to tell the tale!

Are you a manager? Was this in your contract? If not, say you're not comfortable and a colleague should also get paid to stay with you if the owner's not there.
Personally though, I don't see a problem with working til 8 'at night' (I'd call it evening!) even if it does start getting dark. I mean, what do you do in the winter when it starts getting late at 3:30 pm? Sorry, but I was working in Burger King til 1am when I was 17 and relying on public transport to get home and I still lived to tell the tale!

Well good for you. Presumably, you weren't working alone though, which is the issue here?

If the OP doesn't want to work evenings on her own then that's up to her and it's irrelevant what choices other people make.

You may not find it a problem... but we're not actually talking about you here. I find it a problem. Especially the area im in... its rough and young lads often come in hassling staff. Its not pleasant to be in that situation

I work alone in a salon in a known rough area until 8pm. But then I was hired knowing that was part of the role. The issue is suddenly changing it but if that's part of the job that you are unwilling to do then they may get someone else.

You may not find it a problem... but we're not actually talking about you here. I find it a problem. Especially the area im in... its rough and young lads often come in hassling staff. Its not pleasant to be in that situation
As above plus google Hackney if you want to know about rough areas.

Situations are different for everyone.

I worked in a club til 4am when I was 18 and walked back to my car alone. I was fine with this.

But if I hadn't felt comfortable I would have asked someone to walk me back to the car.

The trouble is you don't have anyone to back you up if you feel the need for support.

I think you should speak to your boss. You shouldn't have to work it if you feel uncomfortable or at risk.

I dont really know where to post this to be honest, but I've spoke to a couple of people who say its illegal. Are you allowed to work in a salon, when employed, by yourself.... ive been asked to work later nights, i know already whats going to happen.... everyone is going to finish before me and leave whilsy im there on my own untill 8 o'clock at night. I already dont feel comfortable with this but i just wanted to know whether it is actually illegal or not. Thanks

This sounds exactly like my predicament. I'm constantly left on my own.

I was taken on as a junior and for 5 weeks out of the 4 months I've been working at this salon I have ran it by myself having to open and close, cash up etc.

I run the salon most days like today the owner went off galavanting from 1-3.30 and left me again. She moved her last clients over to me so she could go early. Tomorrow is the same and so will Saturday. I was taken on as a graduate, qualified in 2013, and promised training to get me up to a salon standard. None of which has happened. I'm just there to run things and do no actual hair lol.

My partner mentioned the lone working thing today as he says things should be put into place. I suppose that will happen when I get my wage slips, when I get paid on time and when I get my training. Never lol x

This sounds exactly like my predicament. I'm constantly left on my own.
I was taken on as a junior and for 5 weeks out of the 4 months I've been working at this salon I have ran it by myself having to open and close, cash up etc.
I run the salon most days like today the owner went off galavanting from 1-3.30 and left me again. She moved her last clients over to me so she could go early. Tomorrow is the same and so will Saturday. I was taken on as a graduate, qualified in 2013, and promised training to get me up to a salon standard. None of which has happened. I'm just there to run things and do no actual hair lol.
My partner mentioned the lone working thing today as he says things should be put into place. I suppose that will happen when I get my wage slips, when I get paid on time and when I get my training. Never lol x

That's not a positive start to your career. Start seriously looking for another job.

You can add your duties as 'assistant manager' onto your CV. It will show potential bosses that you are trustworthy and willing to be flexible.

Unfortunately, there are a few Salon owners who think owning a salon means they can play at being the 'Business Lady' and swan around in a leased Audi soft top or BMW, but their business won't last long if they don't put the hours in and simply leave it to others to keep it going.

Would you consider being self employed?

A lot of salon owners are initially happy if staff swap to being self employed as it means they don't have to pay you holiday pay, tax, NI contributions etc.

Once you are self employed, it would be up to you what hours you worked and you could look at other Salon opportunities too. Just ensure that you charge enough money to cover all your costs & expenses.

Latest posts

Back