Long distance relationships?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wonderful parents have just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary! How amazing!

My father comes from the East End of London and my mother from Oldham, Lancashire.

They met when he was posted up there with the Army and they somehow managed to sustain their relationship! He even cycled up there to see her before he managed to get a motorbike (the M1 wasn't even thought about then lol)

Sometimes, fairytails do come true xxx

Cycled? Wow he obviously really thought a lot of your mum. Such an adorable story!xx

I lived in the US and my OH lived here in the UK when we met. We talked and emailed a lot. We married in the US and then I moved to the UK. It was strange being married and not living with my husband. I trusted him completely and vice versa. That helps a lot. We've been married for five years and I couldn't be happier. I think the most important things in long distance relationships is being honest and trusting your partner.

Wow that is long distance! I totally agree with the honest and trust thing!
How did you cope with the move to the UK because that's a big move? It's scary to think I could live 3 hours away with him never mind a whole aeroplane journey xx

My partner and I did long distance for 6 years before I moved to the UK. We saw each other roughly every six to eight weeks, but as was said before, we kept in touch with texts, emails, calls and letters and I wouldn't want to miss that time. Ever.
We were both getting on with our lives, waiting until my children had left school so that we didn't interrupt their schooling. It was really hard at times, but I think being slightly older also made it easier.

Do you think age and maturity means you may of handled this better? I mean in all honesty I'm nearly 21 (still a baby in some eyes)
Maturity isn't a problem I am self employed/mobile so I have a decent head on my shoulders... But I can totally relate that maybe if I was at a later stage in life maybe it would seem easier to handle xx

My mum met her husband on the internet, he lived in New York and she lives in Manchester uk, they were together for a few years before he came over here but she actually preferred it when he lived in NY lol

Men ay, can't live with them, can't live without them lol xx

Wow! Such beautiful stories.
I'm so glad I posted now, you've all given me hope...

I just realised I didn't exactly share my story.
We met online, MSN to be precise at 14. He's a born and bred London fella, where as I'm a 'country girl' from Nottingham. My circle of friends at the time all also spoke to him...
We got along really well, msn, phone calls, texts...

Until I turned 16, hairdressing was my focus and I realised my friends wanted to be 'bums' so I cut ties and got my head into my hair training. At this time he had finished school and started working so we lost contact :(
I never forgot him though
I went to salon international every year and always wondered if he was still around, crazy that we could of maybe even crossed paths and wouldn't of recognised each other cause we would of grown up so much.

In December 2012 he called me.
I've had the same mobile number since I was 12 and he found it on a old phone. Very shocked to hear from him but he was my hero. I was in a violent abusive 4 year relationship at the time. I never spoke to anyone about my problems (what happens at home stays at home)
But I found myself confiding in him, he soon made me open my eyes. He never actually told me to leave the guy I was with because that wouldn't of been right, but he made me see I was worth more.

In February 2013 after another row I finally plucked up the courage to kick my partner out of my flat. I had his bags packed within the hour and never looked back.

In August, after a few months of finding my own feet and being single again I finally let him take the trip from London to Nottingham to stay with me for a few days...

I haven't looked back since

He's like the other half of me

It's just a shame were not closer!

He's going through a rough time at the moment after injuring his leg, but I am determined to make this work now. After reading your beautiful stories I have a really positive look on things!

Thank you!!
Gosh I love the salon geek community :) xxxx

[QUOTE=JuZz'

Sounds like he came back in to your life at just the right time for you. Good luck hun, long distance can be challenging but for the right guy it will always be worth it xxx

I have no choice to make it work. I'm in Oz and my hubby works in the mines so he flies in and out to work 4weeks at a time and back for a week. It's a tough gig at times but you mean make it work!

I've been with my fella for 9 years but after 6 months together I moved 200 miles away to do a University course (already planned and paid for). It was only for a year but worked nicely, in the week I'd do uni work and paid work, and at weekends we'd go on little adventures like to the Yorkshire coast and have pub lunches etc. It worked well in the week as I was super busy, working 16 hours a week with full-time uni on top of that, so to have weekends off was lovely.
We live together now though!

Latest posts

Back