Long distance relationships?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuZz'<3

Reaction score
I say long distance but this fella I'm seeing is only actually a 3 hour drive away!

However it is two totally difference cities...

I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this and wouldn't mind sharing their experience?
I'm trying to stay positive so hoping for lots of happy stories and experience but I know it's not going to be like that..
Feel free to share as I'm wondering whether the long distance thing ever actually works, can it really end in happy ever after?xx

Yes it can work,

Oh where do I start,
Met hubby in Ibiza
He lived in Northern Ireland me in Scotland then he moved to Cyprus
2 yrs later we got married bought a house had 3 kids but still hardly seen him

For the last 10yrs we have pretty much been apart

You will make it work if you want it too, and it won't be forever

Wow, so you don't actually live together? how do you do it?

I'm more of the attached type of girl, if I want you, then I want you with me, I want to come home to you, do loads together... lol maybe my personality isn't right for long distance xx

[QUOTE=JuZz'

Well we do live together but he's always away working

It would take me forever to write the last 10 yrs down but the last 2 yrs
He worked 14 weeks on and 2 off (average)
The 14 on we maybe seen him a few weekends at most

If you love him you will find away for it to work

You appreciate the time you have together, some people could never imagine living their life like me but I could never imagine my hubby working 9-5

My hubby works away sometimes for 5-6 months at a time. Just have to get on and make the best of it. Pays the mortgage
Vicki x

Im new into a relationship. I live in Kent and he lives in Nottingham.
We haven't mixed lives yet (friends, kids etc) so meet once a week if we can someone in the middle
I must say I do find it hard.
I like him a lot but you can only get by so far in a relationship with text and calls

I'm an attached girl an I couldn't cope with long distance I remember when my boyfriend said he might have to go china for 6 months for work I begged him not too and he stayed but I would of been gutted and not know what to do with myself he would of got paid a lot more for going but he had not long brought his own house so he stayed ... He goes to Germany for 2-3 nights occasionally for work and I dread that never mind 6 months! X

Here comes a long post..............&#128521;

Just to prove it can work sometimes, although it really isn't for everyone my friends say I'm a different breed ha ha

I'm an army wife and alot of the time it is long distance but like its been said if your into eachother enough,want it enough your get through it. if its meant to be it will be!

I met my hubby when I was 17 him 20 we were on and off and very casual until I was 20 we got together. I lived in our home town and him in Chatham he came home most wkends for 2 yrs so it made a good base for our relationship.

Then I went and worked in Canada for 6 months in a spa we stayed together and spoke everyday, we fell in love all over again, it's amazing how much you can talk about, how much you can make someone laugh, pick them up when they are feeling sad over the phone!!! I came home in the October and got engaged in the December &#128516;

My husband got posted to Cyprus for 2 years so I went with him, we got our first furry baby (oh dog) and got married out there.

Then moved back to uk to our last posting which was 5 1/2 year in that time i had a successful business, our wonderful daugther. my hubby went to afghan twice (7mths each)and Northern Ireland for 6 mths, it was bloody hard but with another strength, determination, communication, friendship and love we've pulled through!! We sent eachother letters/emails, I posted pictures videos of our daughter of Facebook, phone calls. It's so nice with face time and Skype nowadays you can feel like your in the same room, cherish every moment you have together, don't argue for too long times precious, enjoy the early years of your relationship they are the foundations of what to come.

My main thing that kept me going was keeping busy when we were/are apart, to build a life for myself away from the relationship so I wasn't sat waiting for my my hubby. My friendships and family are amazing.

Hope that gives you an insight on one type of long distance relationship I wish you well

Xxxxxxxx

Here comes a long post..............&#128521;

Just to prove it can work sometimes, although it really isn't for everyone my friends say I'm a different breed ha ha

I'm an army wife and alot of the time it is long distance but like its been said if your into eachother enough,want it enough your get through it. if its meant to be it will be!

I met my hubby when I was 17 him 20 we were on and off and very casual until I was 20 we got together. I lived in our home town and him in Chatham he came home most wkends for 2 yrs so it made a good base for our relationship.

Then I went and worked in Canada for 6 months in a spa we stayed together and spoke everyday, we fell in love all over again, it's amazing how much you can talk about, how much you can make someone laugh, pick them up when they are feeling sad over the phone!!! I came home in the October and got engaged in the December &#128516;

My husband got posted to Cyprus for 2 years so I went with him, we got our first furry baby (oh dog) and got married out there.

Then moved back to uk to our last posting which was 5 1/2 year in that time i had a successful business, our wonderful daugther. my hubby went to afghan twice (7mths each)and Northern Ireland for 6 mths, it was bloody hard but with another strength, determination, communication, friendship and love we've pulled through!! We sent eachother letters/emails, I posted pictures videos of our daughter of Facebook, phone calls. It's so nice with face time and Skype nowadays you can feel like your in the same room, cherish every moment you have together, don't argue for too long times precious, enjoy the early years of your relationship they are the foundations of what to come.

My main thing that kept me going was keeping busy when we were/are apart, to build a life for myself away from the relationship so I wasn't sat waiting for my my hubby. My friendships and family are amazing.

Hope that gives you an insight on one type of long distance relationship I wish you well

Xxxxxxxx

Wow, your story is beautiful.
You have definitely made me feel loads batter about the whole thing...

I like the building a life for yourself part, this allow you to be independent when he's not around right?

You two sound like you have a very strong bond, thank you for sharing your story xx

I would love to be able to be like that then my boyfriend could of gone made lots more money working in china for 6 months but I watch too much Jeremy Kyle aswell as I don't like being without him for more then 4 Days! Xx

[QUOTE=JuZz'

It does indeed it makes your strong and the tough time less so! Don't get me wrong me and my hubby havent all been plan sailing, we split up for 3 months about a year or so in because he thought the grass was greener but he came back. We altered our way of thinking, compromised and moved forward. There's been jealous moment, texts to girls blah blah but we've TALKED/COMMUNICATED theses are so important in long distant relationships.

Xxxxxx

JuZz' It does indeed it makes your strong and the tough time less so! Don't get me wrong me and my hubby havent all been plan sailing said:
I think every relationship has those jealous moments, it's only natural... Thank you, your stories really uplifted my spirit and changed my views...

I was ready to give up, he's going through a really hard time at the moment but after what you've said I think I'm going to stick it out, I know the long distance thing isn't very common and very rarely heard of.. So many people have said 'oh no stay away don't go there it won't work'
I'm going to make this work &#9786;&#65039;

Any more stories?xxx

[QUOTE=JuZz'

For some and not all! (Before I'm shot down) will say that from bad past experiences or because its something they couldn't do themselves. It could have been nothing to do with long distance and simply the fact they just weren't right for eachother. I think it's nice to have story from both sides so you can make you own informed division x

JuZz' For some and not all! (Before I'm shot down) will say that from bad past experiences or because its something they couldn't do themselves. It could have been nothing to do with long distance and simply the fact they just weren't right for eachother. I think it's nice to have story from both sides so you can make you own informed division x[/quote said:
Yes I totally agree, I didn't expect to hear such lovely stories though I thought it would all be doom and gloom x

We lived 2.5 hours apart so not a hugely long distance but I still used to find it really hard. We would spend weekends together but usually apart during the week. Sundays were always the worst as there was always this heavy feeling when the weekend was coming to an end but eventually we got into a routine. We had been friends for a couple of years first before we started dating and I think it was only because I already knew him so well that getting into the whole long distance thing seemed worth it. We got married this year in May :)

I lived in the US and my OH lived here in the UK when we met. We talked and emailed a lot. We married in the US and then I moved to the UK. It was strange being married and not living with my husband. I trusted him completely and vice versa. That helps a lot. We've been married for five years and I couldn't be happier. I think the most important things in long distance relationships is being honest and trusting your partner.

My partner and I did long distance for 6 years before I moved to the UK. We saw each other roughly every six to eight weeks, but as was said before, we kept in touch with texts, emails, calls and letters and I wouldn't want to miss that time. Ever.
We were both getting on with our lives, waiting until my children had left school so that we didn't interrupt their schooling. It was really hard at times, but I think being slightly older also made it easier.

My mum met her husband on the internet, he lived in New York and she lives in Manchester uk, they were together for a few years before he came over here but she actually preferred it when he lived in NY lol

My wonderful parents have just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary! How amazing!

My father comes from the East End of London and my mother from Oldham, Lancashire.

They met when he was posted up there with the Army and they somehow managed to sustain their relationship! He even cycled up there to see her before he managed to get a motorbike (the M1 wasn't even thought about then lol)

Sometimes, fairytails do come true xxx

We lived 2.5 hours apart so not a hugely long distance but I still used to find it really hard. We would spend weekends together but usually apart during the week. Sundays were always the worst as there was always this heavy feeling when the weekend was coming to an end but eventually we got into a routine. We had been friends for a couple of years first before we started dating and I think it was only because I already knew him so well that getting into the whole long distance thing seemed worth it. We got married this year in May :)

Your story's very similar to mine,
Around the same distance and I've l own him since I was 14 (now nearly 21) thank you for sharing, congratulations on the marriage x

Latest posts

Back