Loosing faith in humanity!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke_09

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I am a bit fed up. I love my job but people seem to have become so hard! and cruel

I moved to tenerife a year ago now and have been a mobile beauty therapist for 4 months, really excited all raring to go but over time thats just been worn away! Most people here have been scammed over the years the island is notorious for it so there very cautious which I do understand. I am always up front with prices before they book and I tell the treatment in detail to help address this issue as best as I can. Yet still most people I go to a very cruel, unhelpful, sit and criticise me like for exam I sit on the floor to paint nails during a pedicure because it's must easier for me. When it comes to paying me people love to make me feel like ive done a bad job so I charge less... which they are happy about leaving me feeling awful and ready to give up ... yet they recommend their friends... I know what your thinking ;) and ive now become wise to this but still it causes me a lot of upset each time.

So I am really considering coming home to England as ive really had enough but my question to you all is... does this happen in England?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Blimey, that sounds horrible! I started my own business about 2 years ago and i have never had any negative comments, and i know i have not always done a good job because i am new to the trade and still have a lot to learn. If they are recommending you to friends then your work is not at fault, so dont reduce the price. Have confidence in yourself and your skills. My business has grown very slowly through doing friends and them recommending me. Do you have some friends you could do, and try and build it from that side, ignoring the horrible peoples comments? If you like living in Tenerife i would stick with it a bit longer, good luck! x

Yes x you get those people everywhere the ones that just want to complain and get money off x you need to be more confident in your work to know when you have done a good job. You are the professional. But my other point is clients like that here are about 1 in every 30. And when they recommend you to a friend there probably saying, go to this girl she's good but if you pressure her she will knock the price down. Be firm you have told them the price they have agreed the price they will have to pay it. You know if your work is good enough. Don't let yourself be pushed over. If they leave they are clearly looking for a cheap treatment if they come back they are clearly looking for a quality treatment and there the ones you want anyway.

Like hayley said, be firm and stick to your prices. You know your worth, and your treatments are probably fantastic. Clients are always out for a bargain, and if your treatments were not good enough, trust me, there is no wat they would be recommending you to other people.

I was thinking about possibly going back to Spain to work. I used to live there when I was at university. Other than your treatments, how are you finding the way of life/living in Tenerife? Are you getting enough work? I hope you're having a good time out there. I'm sorry to hear about this trouble you've been having. Stay postive and keep your chin up!

p.s. I also agree that they are saying "if you pressure her she will knock the price down" - be firm keep to your prices.

Thank you for all the support much appreciated. I think people are just out to not pay full price for their treatments but if this is the case I wish they wouldnt book me in the first place! I qualified 6 years ago but have recently got back in to it so like you say I think it can be a confidence thing. I am really shocked at myself sometimes by how crap these people make me feel as I am usually a very strong person but in that moment that's shattered.

Tenerife itself is great I love living in the sun and its a great lifestyle for us :)

how bout a different tactic....when these people re-book you, as Im sure they do, set up and say 'As I'm sure you know, my price for this treatment is £xx and I know you like my work as you have recommended me to your friends/ had service from me before, but I have made a change in procedure and am now taking full payment before service' .

That way they cant 1- argue that they like you as they have rebooked and 2-negotiate the price..if they don't like it that way, then pack up and walk away! May be an idea if you have a website or Facebook site put a notice on there that effective immediatelyy this will now be your policy, and confirm this/inform them when they actually book you.
if they kick up a fuss, do you really want them as your clients anyway? x

Tigger lady! that is a fantastic idea! Thank you. I would love to know what has made people feel they can behave like

Because you will always get some people who can spot a chink in your armour...Im no different to you and Im sure others would agree with the following....the difference is others may be either older and wiser and maybe can put on the confidence bit ( I fall into the older bit..dunno bout the rest.. ;) ) whereas younger techs, inexperienced techs and those who are not able to project confidence will always be a 'target' for opportunists looking for a cheaper service.

I have no issue with giving regulars a bit of discount if they have multiple treatments at the same time, or sometimes for regulars if they NEED (not want) a massage for example but payday isn't till the next week, I let them pay later, but few and far between that is and they only get one chance but that's about it..and its MY decision, not theirs..

If these clients are re-booking you, even if you DID knock off a few quid, you must be good at it or why would they re-book...bad nails look awful even if they're cheaper - people wouldn't have you back if that was the case...think logically hun, and stand your ground!! Get that update on to your website now !! 'Startng from Monday, I need to inform my lovely ladies that I will now require payment at commencement of service. Thank you for your understanding..etc etc etc.. ;)

And stick to it!! x

And what the hell difference does it make if you sit on the floor!! I do just that and tell my ladies its to save their knee joints from 'locking' up or their back ...etc etc

Go girl!! x

Latest posts

Back