L'Oreal Blond Studio freehand + multi-techniques not giving good lift?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Williams

Danielwilliamshair
Reaction score
Does anyone else find these two products don't give much lift? Freehand claims 6, and multi-techniques 8 levels of lift, but I've used both with 30 and 40 volume many times (I've been using this brand alone this month) and it's just not lifting anymore than 3 levels? I've even tried it on a mannequin and believe it or not it worked better on my HairArt mannequin, way better lift... which is completely confusing to me as Mannequins are terrible for lift because of all the sealants on the hair during manufacturing.... Anyone else having trouble with this brand? Even on myself it didn't lift my roots enough, I get my roots white enough to tone in 30-40 mins with blondme by Schwarzkopf I left the Multi-Techniques *blue powder* with 30 vol cream developer on my roots for about 70 minutes, I even applied it again after 20 minutes (with same bleach on) just to get more lift, it didn't really dry out either honestly except in the back of my hair because i didn't cover it because I don't use foil to lift my hair to make sure it stays as healthy as possible during the process...

My roots are like this now, they're platinum, but they're not as platinum as the rest of my hair lol (excuse my hairline, i shave my hairline so that my hair is straight, I dislike the vampire-looking point haha) but see how it is definitely a level 10 but it's just not LIGHT ENOUGH (for me to turn it pure white :c) Think I'm gonna just use blondme when my roots grow another 2cm and then do my roots, then bring it through in last 5 minutes w 30 vol to even it out :)
Photo on 30-05-2016 at 3.59 p.m..jpg

Any tips for using Blond Studio though? I bought it for balayage.... I usually use normal powder bleaches (I mean BlondMe and just normal bleaches) and they work A LOT better because they don't bleed for me with the thickness I MOSTLY use for the majority of my balayages...
I have mixed it up in many ways, 1;1, 1;2 all the way to 1;3 it just isn't lifting anymore than 3-4 levels usually, so it sticks at about a level 6/7 BRASSY *but kind of ashy in lights* Golden orange blonde, like don't get me wrong it's pretty natural looking and I'd be fine with that being the lift from the white tub but for the 8 levels of lift it's certainly not 8 levels.... It does look good but like the majority of people want their hair to lift a lot more than what they're getting....

I use 40 vol. for my balayage and/or ombré's btw and I do apply it very thick especially on the ends where I aim for a lot of lift.

Sorry if I'm quite repetitive, just explaining it super well so I can get the best feedback possible!

You used 30 vol on your roots for 70 mins!!!! in that picture it looks like you have a root, then a band of yellow.. did you bleach all your hair?

I have never used this bleach though so cant help you sorry

You used 30 vol on your roots for 70 mins!!!! in that picture it looks like you have a root, then a band of yellow.. did you bleach all your hair?

I have never used this bleach though so cant help you sorry
Ye, I did it about 2 weeks ago, it is a band of yellow, it's where it hasn't lifted enough (from blond studio :'c) so i'm waiting on my roots to grow out now so another week or so then I'll do my roots with blondme my usual bleach then in last 5-7 minutes (because blondme is amazing lift and very quick :D)I'll bring it through to the band, it'll save me doing them now then wasting more bleach to do my roots when they grow out, much less hassle! and haha, my scalp isn't at all sensitive I bleach with my hands a lot too, it doesn't do me any trouble unless it's been like a whole hour on my fingers then they flake all white haha, i've used 40 on my roots before haha, I know I should use 20 but I like to use 30 vol, I was using an oil developer (in 30 vol/6%) previously anyway so it was much gentler on my scalp in general :)

Ye, I did it about 2 weeks ago, it is a band of yellow, it's where it hasn't lifted enough (from blond studio :'c) so i'm waiting on my roots to grow out now so another week or so then I'll do my roots with blondme my usual bleach then in last 5-7 minutes (because blondme is amazing lift and very quick :D)I'll bring it through to the band, it'll save me doing them now then wasting more bleach to do my roots when they grow out, much less hassle! and haha, my scalp isn't at all sensitive I bleach with my hands a lot too, it doesn't do me any trouble unless it's been like a whole hour on my fingers then they flake all white haha, i've used 40 on my roots before haha, I know I should use 20 but I like to use 30 vol, I was using an oil developer (in 30 vol/6%) previously anyway so it was much gentler on my scalp in general :)
And I go atleast a week without washing before i even do my roots, so that's another benefit/barrier of protection

Didn't you say on one of your last threads you leave it on for only 10mins?!

I find on natural hair, both lighteners lift fab.

However the freehand lightener is a little warm. But then I don't use wrap.

I've found the only times I've not been happy is when I haven't been generous enough with saturation... Maybe your technique is the problem?!

Have you tried platinium?

@surf girl uses 101 different lighteners. I don't know if she uses L'Oreal?
And @adamlea87 is a L'Oreal lover. He might be able to advise?

I've found the only times I've not been happy is when I haven't been generous enough with saturation... Maybe your technique is the problem?!

10 mins on my already bleached hair, however long is needed on roots haha

Nah, I don't think my technique is the problem, because I've tried a couple and the lift is still not up to the standard I want it to be, or expect it to be haha, I saturate very well, especially knowing it isn't giving me great lift to try get maximum lift but it still doesn't do too well, it's OK I guess, the blue powder one is very drying though on my clients i find, it's very, very harsh, even on natural hair haha, it's fine on my hair because I know how to take care of it afterwards but on a client who isn't as familiar that isn't good news to me.

Didn't mean to quote this .. Sorry fat fingers on I phone [emoji85]

The free hand does imply it has more levels of lift than it actually gives. But I've never had a problem with it. You need to learn how to utilize it for your Balayages. Remember they are only meant to look soft and natural. A warmer tone from the lightener will give them that natural glow.

Going back to your previous thread and remembering you don't tone after balayage / ombre, I suggest scrubbing up on knowledge in the toning department. Bringing a Client to a level 6-7 brassy is common when the wrong procuts are used, this can be relatively easy to calm down with the correct toning. If you are starting at darker levels of 5 and below would an open air free hand clay based lightener really be the best selection? If wanting to obtain high contrast blondes then stick with the blondeme.

Also tweak your technique, you may think its great and perfect but always strive for better, no matter how good you are someone can always do it better. I suggest not saturationing all the ends of your balayages, any raw brassy tones that come through will just melt into the hairs background. This way there won't be such a soil chuck at the bottom drawing your attention to the brass.

The free hand does imply it has more levels of lift than it actually gives. But I've never had a problem with it. You need to learn how to utilize it for your Balayages. Remember they are only meant to look soft and natural. A warmer tone from the lightener will give them that natural glow.

Going back to your previous thread and remembering you don't tone after balayage / ombre, I suggest scrubbing up on knowledge in the toning department. Bringing a Client to a level 6-7 brassy is common when the wrong procuts are used, this can be relatively easy to calm down with the correct toning. If you are starting at darker levels of 5 and below would an open air free hand clay based lightener really be the best selection? If wanting to obtain high contrast blondes then stick with the blondeme.

Also tweak your technique, you may think its great and perfect but always strive for better, no matter how good you are someone can always do it better. I suggest not saturationing all the ends of your balayages, any raw brassy tones that come through will just melt into the hairs background. This way there won't be such a soil chuck at the bottom drawing your attention to the brass.
I did a girl with light/medium brown hair last night, it legit lifted to a 6/7 in 50 minutes haha, I understand that, and my technique changes each time i do balayage ombré well my placement anyway, and i do mix it up and do v partings then sometimes I'll take a section and paint the entire surface of it without penetrating, i do mix up my textures in terms of technique, I know what you're saying with toners, it's not a lack of knowledge or anything of the sort, I like working raw and most of my clients like the raw outcome :) if they choose to get it toned at a later date that'd be absolutely do-able :D Thanks for the tips! it's not the fact that it lifts to a level 6-7 its the fact that's LITERALLY ALL IT WILL LIFT TO even after double processing *on willing clients, ofcourse it says not to double process with this bleach and i agree it is extremely harsh on the hair without the correct aftercare in comparison to some bleaches

I did a girl with light/medium brown hair last night, it legit lifted to a 6/7 in 50 minutes haha, I understand that, and my technique changes each time i do balayage ombré well my placement anyway, and i do mix it up and do v partings then sometimes I'll take a section and paint the entire surface of it without penetrating, i do mix up my textures in terms of technique, I know what you're saying with toners, it's not a lack of knowledge or anything of the sort, I like working raw and most of my clients like the raw outcome :) if they choose to get it toned at a later date that'd be absolutely do-able :D Thanks for the tips! it's not the fact that it lifts to a level 6-7 its the fact that's LITERALLY ALL IT WILL LIFT TO even after double processing *on willing clients, ofcourse it says not to double process with this bleach and i agree it is extremely harsh on the hair without the correct aftercare in comparison to some bleaches

In this industry everyone has lack of knowledge. New products and techniques are coming out every week. I've been in the industry or 10 years now and I'm still learning different ways to tone. So I highly recommend learning more than you already know. Again I've never has the problem of pushing this product past a level 6/7. I've been working with this product since it was released and have learnt how to use it to its full potential.

Also being the colorist YOU should be suggesting and advising when to tone, rather than being dictated by the client. My clients wouldn't have any idea on how to actually tone or whay even with. Even if they like the 'raw' tone, still glaze with something to soften it, to give a more of an even tone, different shades to give a softer transition into this 'raw' tone, anything..

Last edited:
In this industry everyone has lack of knowledge. New products and techniques are coming out every week. I've been in the industry or 10 years now and I'm still learning different ways to tone. So I highly recommend learning more than you already know. Again I've never has the problem of pushing this product past a level 6/7. I've been working with this product since it was released and have learnt how to use it to its full potential.

Also being the colorist YOU should be suggesting and advising when to tone, rather than being dictated by the client. My clients wouldn't have any idea on how to actually tone or whay even with. Even if they like the 'raw' tone, still glaze with something to soften it, to give a more of an even tone, different shades to give a softer transition into this 'raw' tone, anything..

this isn't toned but it blends perfectly, all my transitions do haha, nut i know what you mean, I don't at all mean I know everything about toning, I was told by my lecturer that if I ever think I know it all to just quit, bluntly put, she told me to quit if i ever feel like i know it all because there's no place for anyone like that in our industry, I know things are improved and added weekly if not daily in some cases and I do continue to train when something very new comes up that i'M COMPLETELY unaware of, we constantly train and learn new things in this industry.
13059702_995174820566650_692267480_n.jpg

this isn't toned but it blends perfectly, all my transitions do haha, nut i know what you mean, I don't at all mean I know everything about toning, I was told by my lecturer that if I ever think I know it all to just quit, bluntly put, she told me to quit if i ever feel like i know it all because there's no place for anyone like that in our industry, I know things are improved and added weekly if not daily in some cases and I do continue to train when something very new comes up that i'M COMPLETELY unaware of, we constantly train and learn new things in this industry.
View attachment 197749

From looking at your previous post not all your balayages perfectly transition...always be open to improve all your work. This is getting off topic anyway so to stay on topic get some swatches and models and learn how to utilize these lighteners. They can become a powerful part of your product collection if used correctly

From looking at your previous post not all your balayages perfectly transition...always be open to improve all your work. This is getting off topic anyway so to stay on topic get some swatches and models and learn how to utilize these lighteners. They can become a powerful part of your product collection if used correctly
they do a ll transition perfectly, pictures are very deceiving especially when they're poor quality :p I do use the lighteners correctly, i follow directions to a T, and if they don't favour I make it up as i go along til i find one that suits me best

honestly, don't close thread please admin, I'm just saying though, all you guys are doing is giving me criticism, it is put in the way of creative criticism but at the same time you're really not, you're telling me my work isn't good and to learn how to use certain things, but all in all it all links back to you criticising my balayage ombre's, do you think I am not open to learning? I am always open to suggestions and new techniques and the works, but not when you are legit insulting everything I do before hand. That's not creative criticism, 'They can become a powerful part of your product collection if used correctly' so can the majority if not, all products if used correctly and with high quality products, you tell me this stuff as If I know absolutely nothing about it... The thread was about finding out about how the lift is for people in their opinions, and for them to give me tips on how to make it work better, not for you to insult my ombré and tell me to improve on my technique and be open to suggestions, which is fine, but you've said that in honestly basically all o my threads, then tell me the obvious 'you've just got to use it right' that's really not helping, I know how to do balayage ombré, I do them differently every single time, placements different, techniques different, look is different, processing is different, transitions are different etc. I do them the way people want them, not the way YOU want them, so please do stop unless I ask for a certain technique, what you may dislike the client may love, and vice versa.

honestly, don't close thread please admin, I'm just saying though, all you guys are doing is giving me criticism, it is put in the way of creative criticism but at the same time you're really not, you're telling me my work isn't good and to learn how to use certain things, but all in all it all links back to you criticising my balayage ombre's, do you think I am not open to learning? I am always open to suggestions and new techniques and the works, but not when you are legit insulting everything I do before hand. That's not creative criticism, 'They can become a powerful part of your product collection if used correctly' so can the majority if not, all products if used correctly and with high quality products, you tell me this stuff as If I know absolutely nothing about it... The thread was about finding out about how the lift is for people in their opinions, and for them to give me tips on how to make it work better, not for you to insult my ombré and tell me to improve on my technique and be open to suggestions, which is fine, but you've said that in honestly basically all o my threads, then tell me the obvious 'you've just got to use it right' that's really not helping, I know how to do balayage ombré, I do them differently every single time, placements different, techniques different, look is different, processing is different, transitions are different etc. I do them the way people want them, not the way YOU want them, so please do stop unless I ask for a certain technique, what you may dislike the client may love, and vice versa.

I'm not suggesting your work is crap, I've clearly answered your main questions of how do others find the lift. I find it fine. I've also suggested getting some models to practice on. You can then find the correct way for your own work. I can tell you exactly how I use but like you have also said you do them the way people want them which means you do it how you want to use it, you will find your own way just like how I have.

A lot of the time it isn't the product its technique and execution, that's why I suggested trying to improve it! Take everything you read in here with a pinch of salt. If you can't take the feedback think about things before you start a thread!

I'm not suggesting your work is crap, I've clearly answered your main questions of how do others find the lift. I find it fine. I've also suggested getting some models to practice on. You can then find the correct way for your own work. I can tell you exactly how I use but like you have also said you do them the way people want them which means you do it how you want to use it, you will find your own way just like how I have.

A lot of the time it isn't the product its technique and execution, that's why I suggested trying to improve it! Take everything you read in here with a pinch of salt. If you can't take the feedback think about things before you start a thread!
i;ve found my technique? i've never said i had trouble with the way i do it, it's this specific bleach just not giving me the correct lift

Very often, when speaking to people, especially on forums like this. The issue is people aren't measuring using scales, aren't following MI's and with balayage and ombre, aren't fully saturating.

I don't know why you got so defensive with jamyz, you've talked a load of Mumbo jumbo this whole thread. You don't tone but you do tone, your the king of bleaching white but can't use studio propperly, you don't like criticsism but you put your work on like a showcase on its own thread, you don't follow manufacturers instructions but want to point out to people who've been in the industry a very long time that what we know is wrong, your open to new learning but don't like it when people try to educate you, it's all a bit silly really, if you don't like the lift on the bleach on the top of this thread use a different one because clearly you don't want advice from us noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back