Losing faith in myself & business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_hkrs

Reaction score
Really losing faith at the moment, everything that could have gone wrong in starting my own business literally has gone wrong.

Firstly i retrained over the last 6months in beauty therapy i originally worked for a university as a web administrator was a safe well paid job but i hated it but i loved beauty so i left my job 4 weeks ago with. I decided that i'd start off small and begin with just holistics as i already have bed and endless supply of towels and most of the oils needed so i found 2 premises both local and available on the days required.

The one location i was initially concerned about as in a foot clinic bus business is slow but at least it's happening there!The other place i was told i would be the only person doing holistic massages - its in a gym and i researched this and found nothing to say otherwise. Cut a long story short i was told it was a rolling contract but i had to pay 2 months (£600) only when i got 2 weeks into renting the room did i find out there were 3 other people doing massage, a physio, a beauty therapist and a sports massage person.... So i decided to leave this place as i have no phone calls and no business - i feel really mislead and betrayed by this company. Basically i didn't sign a contract so realistically they owe me 1 months rent... it's been over a week since i pointed this out and i've cleared out the room and not heard anything back... what should i do?

In the mean time im having to search for extra work as im so low on funds and need to pay rent, etc... Luckily my boyfriend treated me to an advance waxing course and i already have the kit for waxing and spray tan and my other location have agreed that i can add them to my list of talents but i am only there 2 days a week... basically i dont know what to do if i dont get the job i went for i have to move home with my parents over 100 miles away where i have no friends and no prospects.

Any advice on getting my money back would be welcome - at my ends wit here.

It takes a long time to build a big enough client base to support a person living in London.

If you left after only 2 weeks, you can try and get some money back, but normally it is a month's payable notice for room rental, maybe be pleased that they havn't held you to that?

Would you not be better off getting a job in a spa? It is always good to get real experience before attempting to start a business. Lots of people in your situation jump straight into room renting without a real understanding of the industry, and the pitfalls it contains.

Bset of luck x

Thanks but the advice from citizens advice is that as its a rolling contract and no contract was signed i am owed 1 months rent i am happy to loose the 2 weeks rent but can't afford to loose more than that.

Also i am looking for a salon role either as a receptionist as i've over 5 years experience or as a therapist but not much in the market at the moment.

The reason why i went self employed as i've not had a great experience of being employed i had to take them to grievance level due to a number of things. Also i'd rather not work in a salon/ spa as i cannot afford to live on minimum wage as i've rent/ bills to pay as well as student loan.

I may just go mobile as at least i can still remain my own boss.

Thanks though

I would expect to earn less than minimum wage starting up a mobile business at first.

I really think working in a salon/spa would help you. You can always begin mobile around work commitments, thats what most people do.

I agree that this is an odd industry compared to others, which is why salon work would benefit you. Your expectations appear to be very high. Like I said, it takes years, not months, to become self sufficient and earning ok money.

why don't you go mobile to build up a good client base and at the same time look for rooms to rent, that way when you find somewhere you will already have a client base. Hope everything works out for you. x

I agree that your expectations do seem very high.

Have you done a business plan ?

The majority of businesses make a loss in the first two years. I personally think you'd be lucky to even make minimum wage.

Have you done any advertising ? If so have you had a good response from it ?

Hello

Sorry to hear you are feeling disheartened. I am agreeing with all of the above posts however. I opened my salon 3 months ago and have not been able to take a wage myself yet nor do I expect to anytime soon.

It is a hard industry to break due to strong competition and you are in a tough area. would it be so bad to move back to your parents and start up a business in that area? This way you will not have to worry about expensive bills etc and can concentrate on building a successful business.

If Beauty is where your heart is you will have to make sacrifices but with time and dedication you CAN make it work.

Regarding your loss in rent I am not sure where you stand legally but if you have been advised that you are entitled to your money, why don't you write a formal letter asking for payment? As your income is so low you should also be entitled to legal aid, council tax relief and maybe even housing benefit. Don't foget working tax credits too. Don't be too proud get all the help you can.

Best of Luck x

I get where you are coming from and thanks for the advice and i knew that i wouldnt be making the same amount as cash as i was before as i was head of my department in marketing and ran a website so its not like i dont know what i am doing that side of things.

I haven't gone into business with my eyes closed i was aware of the risks but not prepared for the lying deceitful people at my 2nd location. In the mean time i have written a letters to them but heard nothing as of yet but i did give them till the end of the week.

My other location is going from strength to strength and i have been allowed to introduced other areas of beauty which is great.

We'll see what the week brings. I have applied for many roles - all part time so i can still continue with being my own boss. I should hear back today about 1 role.

Latest posts

Back