Losing my home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails<3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just had a call from my housing association I rent my property off and they are serving me a notice to quit due to the landlord they lease the property from wants him property back to sell :(

I have 2 months to move out now and have to be out a few weeks after Xmas.

I have spent so so much money on my house and just had the kids room all re- fitted out again costing me over 1k. Have spent the best part of 8k doing my house and garden up as the house was a hole when I moved in. I am taking everything with me including all the fencing and decking as I will not leave a single thing in the house for them to have.

I now have to find a home and find the money to do it all up again which I don't have which means I have to give up my salon and find a full time job to fund the move and deposits for a house as I'm too quiet in the salon at the mo and just about covering my rent. So bloody peed off right near Xmas aswell. Just got things in life finally sorted and going the right way.

Got a flat tyre and now this so wonder what's coming next! It's comes in threes apparently!! Maybe I secretly knew something was going to happen as I brought all the kids present 2 months before Xmas and I never do that as I'm so unorganised. Hate life sometimes! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger I suppose :(

Just wanted to vent really :(

Hi Nails just wanted to send you a big hug. I'm really sorry to hear your news, you sound like your a strong person though, so I hope you manage to get something sorted quickly. It must be hard but try stay positive as everything will work out in the end. Things have a funny way or working themselves out.

I'm sorry I haven't really got much to say (in way of advice). But good luck and hope you and your little ones will be ok. xxx

Hi. Didn't want to just read and run. Sending big hugs. Not quite sure what to say though. So sorry to hear your story. That's pants at any time but feels so much worse at Christmas. Hope you get sorted xx

Last edited:
Just a thought but do you know anyone who could buy the house on a buy to let basis, then you can let it from them?

You are obviously a good tenant, I hope it works out for you x

Thank you both, don't worry wasn't expecting advice or anything just a bit of reassurance as have no one to speak to really apart from the OH but he is at work and don't want to keep disturbing him by blubbering down the phone haha. He says he has it all under control. I'm sure it will all come good in the end. Just worried as any money we have saved for our mortgage we wanted to get next year will have to go on a new deposit for a house. Ah well it happens. Things could be worse, way worse! X x

What have the housing association said? Surely they need to find you a suitable home to live in.

Go to your local citizens advice asap they'll be able to help you.

Good luck xx

Just a thought but do you know anyone who could buy the house on a buy to let basis, then you can let it from them?

You are obviously a good tenant, I hope it works out for you x

No one I know would want to buy in this area, I was given this house when I had to move from my mums by the housing association so I had no choice but to move to this area which isn't the best at all but my house is lovely and that's what I, gutted about.

I had another landlord who owns most of the houses down my street to buy this house from me. He wanted me to buy it from the landlord and then sell it to him so he could have 3 houses in a row he owns and turn it into one, I have a feeling that he might be behind this and gone to the landlord and offered cash as he didn't stop bugging me.

Nothing I can do and I'm not going to cause trouble for the association but I will return the house to them the way they gave it to me, with nothing in but bare walls and a crap horrible garden.

They are also buggered as I had to re fit new heaters all over my house as the housing association couldn't be bothered so will be taking them also so they are going to have to re fit all those. Good luck to them!

That's the spirit hun &#128512;, it's sounds like your OH is supportive so I'm sure he will have a plan. xx

What have the housing association said? Surely they need to find you a suitable home to live in.

Go to your local citizens advice asap they'll be able to help you.

Good luck xx

They said that they will try and find a new property but as they are Birmingham based they don't have any houses in coventry apart from 2 bedrooms in a really rough run down area that is mainly prostitutes and drug dealers and I'm not exaggerating. I refuse to take my children to live there no chance. I'm not a snob in any way but if you actually visited the area then you would see what I mean. Also I live on the other side of the city to my children's school which I had to fight to get my daughter into, it would mean me having to pull them both out of the school which will not happen. X x

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE=Nails
I'm soo sorry! Hug hugs and kisses!
Hope things turn around soon for you.
Have you spoken to the council for help? Xoxo

Nails I'm soo sorry! Hug hugs and kisses! Hope things turn around soon for you. Have you spoken to the council for help? Xoxo[/quote said:
I have to go and see them ASAP but I have a full day of clients in tomorrow for the first time in weeks and rent needs to be paid for my salon so i will go Monday. Apparently they may be able to find me a new home so will have to wait and see.

Thank you for all your lovely posts x

So sorry to read this. I'm afraid I don't know what advice to give but I didn't want to read and run so big hugs! ;)

Good luck sounds like you have the right approach ;) x

definitely try the council hun, i was in a similar situation when my son was a baby and they found me a house. I didn't have to pay any deposit either.

hope you get sorted soon xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Didn't want to read and run sorry to hear your being put in this position - agree with you totally on the fixtures and fittings - tbh they'd probably take it all out I'd take wallpaper and all cause I'm pedantic like that! I would of thought they had to find you a similar property In the same area if they evictin you like someone else go to cab ASAP and get your rights ! Hope it all works out for you let us know how you get on x

Oh honey that's awful. I love you spirit though with taking everything out. Don't blame you one bit!

If you are with council or Housing association and they are kicking you out though no fault of your own, they have a legal obligation to rehouse you in suitable accomodation and fast. You should be bumped to top of list because of it.

Please don't do anything drastic with giving up your salon. You will regret it if you make a decision before you know what's happening.

Like others have said go to your local CAB. Unless laws have changed I'm sure you can refuse to move until suitable accomodation has been found and there is nothing they can do about it other than take you to court to get you out.

xxx

You can stay in the house and refuse to move but the landlord will go to court and get a Possession Order to remove you. It's a fairly easy process and doesn't cost much so it won't be a problem for them to do this (although it is a pain in the a*se). It might also impact on your reference for elsewhere doing this so be careful.
I understand you want to take all your fixtures and fittings but this is the landlords choice- not the Housing Assoc! Why not ask them whether they would ask the landlord to visit and then negotiate with him a price for the various things you could leave? If not, then go for it!

As the OP said, you will now be deemed statutory homeless by the local authority and as you have children, makes you a priority. Make an appt with the housing dept and take your Sec 21, NTQ as evidence. Depending on housing stock they might have to put you in temporary accommodation but it at least stops you having to pay out.

Good luck

I don't want to negotiate with the landlord or housing association, they are less than helpful. Apparently I can get compensation for house improvements but need all the receipts as proof, I have lived here 4 years already and don't have the receipts.

I'm gutted as I have to leave my beautiful carpets lol, a part of me wants to rip them all up and take them but I have no where to store them. I have put up Walls, had it all insulated, brand new heaters all around, had garden Walls built and decking with fencing that cost so much, all brand new doors throughout the house and only just tiled the bathroom with stupidly expensive tiles. I know it's all material items but I have worked my butt off to get my house the way it is and so much money is spent and I have to give it all up.

We have decided to private rent I think, move 5 mins away from the school etc and closer to the inlaws.

I thought about refusing to move but I don't want to put myself through the stress and would rather just leave. I don't want to put the kids through temp housing when i don't need to. X x

Went to the estate agents today and found a house right where we want it, it's £265 extra than what we are paying but it's worth it for the area.

We move within 3weeks!!! We can take our carpets with us as the rooms are slightly smaller so that is saving a fortune. Will need to get rid of some things i have but it wont be too bad.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. X x x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back