Lost in the land of Tax Returns!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Digits

Reaction score
:irked: Can anyone help me with my tax returns problem? I know it's a while off being necessary, but I'm slowly starting to panic. I spent an hour and a half last week trying to fill out my very first return, only to see on a pop up that I had successfully filled out 1% of the form :(
I have only been going 7 months, and with the amount I've spent, and the amount I've taken, I very much doubt that I will be setting the financial world alight! But I would like to get it right. Would it be easier if I just sent them all my paperwork and said 'There you go, enjoy'.
I really would appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. :sad:

Nobody can help?:sad:

If you are really struggling to do it yourself I would get an account to do it for you :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree, you need an accountant. You can't send HMRC a pile of receipts and expect them to do your books! Imagine if everyone did that?
Failing that, go on a bookkeeping course.
Personally, I use a good accountant.

Give HMRC a call if you are having problems submitting your return online, they are very helpful. You have to do it on a PC or Laptop, it won't submit from an iPad!

Sending your paperwork to them is not an option, lol, sorting that out is your job, or as other have said your accountants. You would end up losing all your paperwork, then you really would be stuck!

Thanks ladies, points taken. Izzidoll, I'll have a go on my pc instead of my tablet. Thanks for the tip.

It's quite quick really, when you get to knew part it jumps up the percentage quite quickly.

The helpline is really good, if not seek an accountant for help :)

Jemima :)

Aww.....Thanks Jemima, I'm going to have another go this weekend. I'll use my pc instead of my tablet, and hope it does a massive leap!:)

I do mine by paper, online confuses me soo much! I must be old fashioned. Xx

I didn't know I could do that, Locksoflove! Do I need to get a form from HMRC? I think this may be an answer to a prayer. :lol:

You still need all the same information, it's me a shorter way to do it. I haven't even thought about my tax return, it makes me queezy just think about it. I find the perpetration the hard bit, the form is easy in comparison lol

You may need to request a form from HMRC and I believe their are different deadlines for paper filing.

Jemima :)

I did mine the other day for the 1st time. Once you get passed the 1% part you'll zip through it in no time. Its really quite quick. I was suprised actually. Fingers crossed its all correct :o

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Online you need your tax return in by end of January. If it's paper you need it in by end of July.

I would get an accountant. It's not difficult book keeping. The easier you make it for your accountant the less they charge you, I'm very very organised. I have all my receipts numbered and then I number my bank statements so they can easily see which receipt is which payment on my bank statement and I do it like that by months. If you just slap hundreds of receipts into a bag and leave it until they ask for your books it takes them longer, causes them more stress, they have to keep phoning you asking what things are which quite rightly so bumps up your bill,

If you get a good accountant... The money they save you from your tax by claiming stuff back is the bill you would need to pay the accountant... So it pays for itself!! :)

I never wanted an accountant either but to be honest.... It stops me worrying over it!! Good luck

Nic x

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back