Lots of questions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondegal

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as mentioned before I am new on here and newly qualified. Did my training in September and wanted to get everything right before I started so practiced and practiced on friends, family before starting properly around Christmas. I have loads of questions though and hope that someone will be able to answer them all for me so I can print this off and refer back! I know some on here hate people being tedious and asking the same questions so I apologise in advance but look forward to any replies :biggrin:

1. If I do a gel manicure on a client and she breaks a nail a few days later, should I offer to repair it? I feel as she is my client and I should help her care for her nails that I am responsible? Is that right? Should I charge? If so how much? I was never taught how to do a repair so is it better to remove the gel, file the nail down as low as possible, or clip the nail where broken? Prep and re-gel?

2. I like to wear a tunic - I'm mobile - it makes me feel smart and tidy and I like to think I look professional! There's nothing wrong with that is there?

3. If I start doing the gels, and the client doesn't like the colour, how do I then proceed? Do I remove them all fully and how?

4. My method of removal is to file, buff the surface shine off, soak cotton pads in acetone, place on nail, then wrap with foil but sometimes after 10-15 minutes there's no effect on the gel at all, so it can take up to an hour for removal - what am I doing wrong?

I am sorry for the length of this thread, and all my questions and I'm sure I'll have more but I do want to get things right. I use Icon UV Polish as my main gel - it is gorgeous stuff and gives a lovely finish!

Thank you in anticipation :o

Hi Blondegal,
I don't use Icon but I will do my best to answer your questions! Welcome to Salon Geek by the way :)
1 - It depends on how the nail is broken as to if you should charge/how you should do it. If you know that it's your fault, then yes do it for free but if it is your clients fault then let her know (nicely) that you can't do it for free.
If the nails is broken beyond repair, then remove it and start afresh, if it is for example a small crack in the nail that you could file down to remove, then add some more gel on top then go for that one.

2 - I agree with the tunic, I think if you were to go in your normal clothes then the client doesn't know whether you've been bleaching the toilet in these or what!

3 - After you've put colour on the first nail, ask them what they think. If they say no then just wipe it off and try the next one (before curing). If they say yes and then change their mind at the end of the treatment then you need to get kind of strict here or you'll just get walked over, let them know that you can't remove them all now as you have another client to go to/another commitment but you will be happoy to do it on such and such a date, but she will need to pay the cost of a removal and reapplication as you had asked her if the colour was okay.
You might also find with this that they say, oh no actually this colour will be fine but until you get strict then people will try and take the mickey!

4 - That removal sounds fine, but to give it a helping hand, why don't you try filing the product down a bit more before wrapping it in acetone? Remember to keep your file moving so you don't create any heat spots but if the more product you remove, the easier the acetone has it and it should work faster. Also, acetone works better when it's in warmer conditions - I have an 'Easy Soak' and find that works great, you put warm water under the base and then put the acetone in the little finger holes and it soaks off.

Not sure if any of that will help you but I really hope it does!! X

hello and welcome to salon geek!

answers to your questions:
1. yes you should replace your clients broken nail no matter when they do it but what you charge is up to you. some say they will do for free within so many days of treatment after that they charge. you have to think that if you are doing a repair you need to charge for your time and product. Depends how it is broken but as you say you are using a gel polish it should soak off quickly enough for you to just replace

2. Nothing wrong in wearing a uniform, especially if you are mobile as clients will know who you are as soon as they open the door!

3. if a client is going for a radical change on colour then try and have a normal polish in similar colour and paint it on to show what it would look like or persuade them to go for safer option. Once you have started and if they dont like it you need to explain that if you have to soak off and start again you will have to charge extra,

4. removal sounds fine and if its just a gel polish should come off in no time, if its not maybe you havent buffed top enough or clients nails are extremely dry and gel is sticking to it (this is the reason for them to use a cuticle oil like solar oil). Really you should be doing a gel polish removal and re application in under an hour. I havent used icon as a brand so cant comment on it x

Hi Blondegal,
I don't use Icon but I will do my best to answer your questions! Welcome to Salon Geek by the way :)
1 - It depends on how the nail is broken as to if you should charge/how you should do it. If you know that it's your fault, then yes do it for free but if it is your clients fault then let her know (nicely) that you can't do it for free.
If the nails is broken beyond repair, then remove it and start afresh, if it is for example a small crack in the nail that you could file down to remove, then add some more gel on top then go for that one.

2 - I agree with the tunic, I think if you were to go in your normal clothes then the client doesn't know whether you've been bleaching the toilet in these or what!

3 - After you've put colour on the first nail, ask them what they think. If they say no then just wipe it off and try the next one (before curing). If they say yes and then change their mind at the end of the treatment then you need to get kind of strict here or you'll just get walked over, let them know that you can't remove them all now as you have another client to go to/another commitment but you will be happoy to do it on such and such a date, but she will need to pay the cost of a removal and reapplication as you had asked her if the colour was okay.
You might also find with this that they say, oh no actually this colour will be fine but until you get strict then people will try and take the mickey!

4 - That removal sounds fine, but to give it a helping hand, why don't you try filing the product down a bit more before wrapping it in acetone? Remember to keep your file moving so you don't create any heat spots but if the more product you remove, the easier the acetone has it and it should work faster. Also, acetone works better when it's in warmer conditions - I have an 'Easy Soak' and find that works great, you put warm water under the base and then put the acetone in the little finger holes and it soaks off.

Not sure if any of that will help you but I really hope it does!! X

That's great - thank you so much xxx

hello and welcome to salon geek!

answers to your questions:
1. yes you should replace your clients broken nail no matter when they do it but what you charge is up to you. some say they will do for free within so many days of treatment after that they charge. you have to think that if you are doing a repair you need to charge for your time and product. Depends how it is broken but as you say you are using a gel polish it should soak off quickly enough for you to just replace

2. Nothing wrong in wearing a uniform, especially if you are mobile as clients will know who you are as soon as they open the door!

3. if a client is going for a radical change on colour then try and have a normal polish in similar colour and paint it on to show what it would look like or persuade them to go for safer option. Once you have started and if they dont like it you need to explain that if you have to soak off and start again you will have to charge extra,

4. removal sounds fine and if its just a gel polish should come off in no time, if its not maybe you havent buffed top enough or clients nails are extremely dry and gel is sticking to it (this is the reason for them to use a cuticle oil like solar oil). Really you should be doing a gel polish removal and re application in under an hour. I havent used icon as a brand so cant comment on it x

Thank you so much - these answers are great and so are those from Sapphire Beauty before you, so thank you both! I think you are right about the buffing - I think I might be a bit too cautious about buffing and not wanting to cause any discomfort or damage! What grit file would you suggest?

If you apply your base coat too heavy it will take longer to remove.

Hi everyone, as mentioned before I am new on here and newly qualified. Did my training in September and wanted to get everything right before I started so practiced and practiced on friends, family before starting properly around Christmas. I have loads of questions though and hope that someone will be able to answer them all for me so I can print this off and refer back! I know some on here hate people being tedious and asking the same questions so I apologise in advance but look forward to any replies :biggrin:

1. If I do a gel manicure on a client and she breaks a nail a few days later, should I offer to repair it? I feel as she is my client and I should help her care for her nails that I am responsible? Is that right? Should I charge? If so how much? I was never taught how to do a repair so is it better to remove the gel, file the nail down as low as possible, or clip the nail where broken? Prep and re-gel?

2. I like to wear a tunic - I'm mobile - it makes me feel smart and tidy and I like to think I look professional! There's nothing wrong with that is there?

3. If I start doing the gels, and the client doesn't like the colour, how do I then proceed? Do I remove them all fully and how?

4. My method of removal is to file, buff the surface shine off, soak cotton pads in acetone, place on nail, then wrap with foil but sometimes after 10-15 minutes there's no effect on the gel at all, so it can take up to an hour for removal - what am I doing wrong?

I am sorry for the length of this thread, and all my questions and I'm sure I'll have more but I do want to get things right. I use Icon UV Polish as my main gel - it is gorgeous stuff and gives a lovely finish!

Thank you in anticipation :o

1)
Depends , if it is broken due to your application , (prep , structure or forgetting a step ) they yes you will need to fix it for free , BUT if its the client being he very handed , not following after care that you NEED to provide to them in writing then I would charge , how much is hard to say some techs do a minimum charge , if your going to be mobile you need to factor in the travel cost , as you will still have to travel be it for 1 nail or 10.
How the nail was broken will start to become clear once you have done a good few , I'm sorry I know that's not the easiest answer ,

2) nothing wrong with profetional wear , you might need to buy a few and maybe consider awater proof apron for pedicures , and summer /winter tunics .

3) do your enhancements in clear not in color , color alone may not cure so well , also when the color is changed or maintance is done you only need to buff off the color and not the whole thing,
If they change there mind half way through they pay.

4) depends on the product some are soak off some are not , some are but the top coat is not so needs to be removed ,thickness of application will also factor in.

If you apply your base coat too heavy it will take longer to remove.

Yes, I´m working on that one as well, thank you, trying to keep it light x

Latest posts

Back