Loyalty scheme mistake

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
I started working for myself in May and wanted to do everything possible to gain clients. One thing being a generous loyalty scheme that I'm now regretting ....50% off a treatment after 5 visits o_O
Luckily I've been very successful so far and I'm not sure that I really needed the scheme to get me where I am today, nor do I want to keep giving so many people 50% off. I have a lot of clients now on their 2nd card and some on their 3rd card. I'm already reasonably priced so to give such a big discount was probably a mistake.

I want to change it but I feel that to reduce the percentage will look bad to my ladies that visit every week / 2 weeks and get excited when picking their discounted treatment, so I'm thinking that something completely different would be better? (but I don't know what?!)
I have many loyal clients so I don't want them to feel that they aren't been rewarded. Does anyone have any ideas or help with how I tell my clients that they're no longer going to get this reward?

Thanks

Do you give them a stamp after every treatment no matter how much they spend or do they only get a stamp if they spend X amount? x

Do you give them a stamp after every treatment no matter how much they spend or do they only get a stamp if they spend X amount? x

I stamp £15 and over.

I would change it in the new year and if anyone comments just say it was an introductory offer and as from 2017 this is what it is now. I have just changed mine as originally a certain amount of loyalty points gave 25% off but as bills and other overheads increased it was costing me too much especially on my colour services so I have now programmed it to do 20% of cuts & basic tints but 15% on highlights or creative colour. Explain to your customers that in order to keep your prices the same, you have had to make cuts in other areas. I doubt anyone would say anything though as you don't have to offer any type of loyalty scheme so it would be a bit rude to complain about it!

Hi Jemmabeauty, curious to know how it went when you changed your loyalty programme?

Hi Jemmabeauty, curious to know how it went when you changed your loyalty programme?

Erm ....I haven't actually changed it yet :rolleyes:.
I've been quite ill and had to take time off work and now I'm only working part time, so I didn't want to rock the boat.

However, I have got a message drafted to send to everyone to say that once people use up their current card, the scheme will be ending.
As my most popular treatments are massage and facials, my idea is to offer discounted courses, so my loyal massage & facial clients will still receive some kind of reward. I'm not going to provide any offers on beauty treatments.

New clients from January 2017 were never given a card. I've had many return, so it just goes to show, that I never needed the scheme in the first place. xx

Erm ....I haven't actually changed it yet :rolleyes:.
I've been quite ill and had to take time off work and now I'm only working part time, so I didn't want to rock the boat.

However, I have got a message drafted to send to everyone to say that once people use up their current card, the scheme will be ending.
As my most popular treatments are massage and facials, my idea is to offer discounted courses, so my loyal massage & facial clients will still receive some kind of reward. I'm not going to provide any offers on beauty treatments.

New clients from January 2017 were never given a card. I've had many return, so it just goes to show, that I never needed the scheme in the first place. xx

Sorry to hear you have been ill :-( and hope you are feeling better?

When I read your post, I was happy to see that I am not the only one who was as generous as this! I also started a loyalty scheme giving 50% off every 5th treatment about a year ago, and now regret it. My clients appreciate it, but they would re-book regardless. I decided last week that I will stop. I will come up with something else, like a complimentary foot /hand masque or scrub after a certain number of visits. No more money off has to be the best way forward. I am starting to feel de-motivated when I know it's a 50% off treatment - why on earth would I work so hard for half, it feels foolish to me now. I love my job and look forward to every service I do, so don't want that to change x

I completely understand ...this is exactly how I feel.

Have you told your clients that your scheme is changing? Just curious to know how they took the news?
x

I completely understand ...this is exactly how I feel.

Have you told your clients that your scheme is changing? Just curious to know how they took the news?
x
I am telling them one by one, and all of them so far have agreed that I have been too generous! This makes me feel better. New clients have not received my business card as I haven't yet re-printed (without loyalty scheme), but I'll give them new ones ASAP.

I feel so much better now that I've taken the decision to do it. I now just need to decide what, if any reward they will get in future. I am thinking more along the lines of after 10 treatments a complimentary scrub or mask, but no money off. I'm done with that concept for the time being!

How about you? Have you sent your email? X

Latest posts

Back