Magazine article I thought you might be interested in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
Here's the full article of a piece I found in this week's Star magazine. It made me hopping, so I thought you guys would be interested in it. BAD PRESS THAT WE DO NOT NEED!!!!"

"HARD AS NAILS
False nails can damage natural nails, so we've given up on acrylics. Calgel is different. Its completely natural system does not damage your nails as it allows the natural nails underneath to breathe - unlike gel falsies. In fact, wearing Calgel products on a long-term basis will actually improve the condition of your nails!
So, with no gluing and nails lasting up to a month, convert to Calgel nails like Tara Palmer-Tomkinson and Sophie Anderton. Treatments start at just (price omitted for board rules) for natural overlays, and (price omitted for board rules) for extensions."

Personally, I think this piece is very damaging to the nail industry due to claiming that Acrylics damage natural nails. i think most technicians agree that it is poor technicians that damage nails, not the products themselves. I think this magazine should print an apology for making a false statement. I'd be interested in other Geek's opinions on this article.

Hiya,

Yes too much bad press at the moment, but dont worry us technicians will have our say.

I cant believe that some people really believe that nails can breath, come on get a grip, i will have to go on a course to give mouth to mouth to my nails when they stop breathing because i am wearing "Acrylc" on my nails.

Oh i forgot arn't gel's from the "Acrylic" family too!!!

I must get more training as i must have missed something along the way.

Amanda

False Nails don't damage nails bad techs do (These articles never state fact's) Gel is an Acrylic so they are talking crap again there.
If they want to get tech's to use there products telling the truth would be a better approach.

There's so many articles like this one appearing. I usually try and drop an e-mail to the the beauty editors and that way you can atleast provide them with the correct info so that it might not happen again!

I hear sooooo many clients who come into the hair salon say, 'My technician only uses gel....she tells me it allows the nails to breathe! It's sooo much kinder to the nails than acrylic!'

My next mission is to do the Brisa gel course systems.......being qualified in all 3 systems is a good idea anyway but clients are more likely to listen to your views on gel if you do gel nails yourself. It's more effective than just saying, 'Oh, I dont do gel but what you have been told about gel being kinder to the nails isn't true etc, etc.' You can then say, 'I am qualified in all 3 systems...' and then provide the facts.

Lynn x

Lynn@harvs said:
I usually try and drop an e-mail to the the beauty editors and that way you can atleast provide them with the correct info so that it might not happen again!

Lynn x
I'd e-mail, but as I'm quite new to nails I don't wanna give anything but 100% correct info, and I think it'd sound better coming from someone who has been qualified longer, and is, say, a master technician or similar, rather than me who is hardly even working in it at the mo. I just find it so frustrating, perhaps the ANT could have a standard letter that is e-mailed to these mags stating the facts, and asking them kindly to retract their unfactual statement.

lell said:
False Nails don't damage nails bad techs do (These articles never state fact's) Gel is an Acrylic so they are talking crap again there.
If they want to get tech's to use there products telling the truth would be a better approach.
Here Here!!!!

I couldn't agree more

Teena_B said:
"HARD AS NAILS
False nails can damage natural nails, so we've given up on acrylics. Calgel is different. Its completely natural system does not damage your nails as it allows the natural nails underneath to breathe - unlike gel falsies. In fact, wearing Calgel products on a long-term basis will actually improve the condition of your nails!
So, with no gluing and nails lasting up to a month, convert to Calgel nails like Tara Palmer-Tomkinson and Sophie Anderton. Treatments start at just (price omitted for board rules) for natural overlays, and (price omitted for board rules) for extensions."
My first reaction to this total crock of s*!t is "have Calgel bribed someone to say this!?!"

Next - "We've given up on acrylics" (1) what is Calgel if not an acrylic (2) has anybody told the 3000+ techs on here that everyone has given up on acrylics? Looks like we're all out of a job

and finally.....Nails dont breathe as they havn't got lungs :eek:

If a companyhas to stoop to scare tactics like that to sell its product and can't find anything more positive about it to persuade people to use it, then that says it all.

Wait till the next round of 'acrylic nails cause cancer' comes around. At least every 5-6 years, someone starts this one (usually a gel company).

Keep educating your customers ladies and gentlemen!! This is how the truth gets out there. xx

Stone the crows & feed the lizards!!!!!! I see your point . Mine always has been. Acrlylis/Hairdressing solutions/ Beauty products dont hurt you[used properly]The idiot in charge of them does.!!!!!!! jnail AUSTRALIA

you made me laugh - but you couldn't have put it better if you tried!
jnail said:
Stone the crows & feed the lizards!!!!!! I see your point . Mine always has been. Acrlylis/Hairdressing solutions/ Beauty products dont hurt you[used properly]The idiot in charge of them does.!!!!!!! jnail AUSTRALIA

I personally have worked with calgel and HATE IT. Customers think they love it because it is ORGANIC.....................
It is very 'spongy' so when clients return for rebalances I found that as I buffed the nail it was coming away, but leaving a 'fill line', the only way to remove the 'fill line' was to buff and buff and.................... which would over scratch the naturel nail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I asked a client today how she liked the Brisa so the client I had just treated said
"that's what I've got on isnt it. Gel is much better for your nail than Acrylic isn't it". (In her defence though she did have Liquid and powder nails applied 10yrs ago and got a bacterial infection in 3 nails so bad that it caused them to lift 2/3 of the nail bed!!)
I explained to this client that it is not the system that damages your naturel nail but the nail technician through bad practice!!! (Although I found Calgel very difficult to work with, and very high maintainance).

Mel x

MJ's World of Beauty said:
I personally have worked with calgel and HATE IT. Customers think they love it because it is ORGANIC.....................

Mel x
Did you know??????

That ALL nail systems are organic!!!!

Did you know??????

That anything that is organic contains carbon? That is all organic means. YOU are organic ... cow poo is organic .... nail products are organic!
Shall we all put cow poo on our nails because it is organic and therefore good for us??? The word organic is used for marketing hype and to make people think something is 'pure' and 'clean' and 'non harmful'. RUBBISH ... it just means it contains carbon.

As was said previously, alot of things are said through advertising hype, but only if the product isn't good enough to sell itself. It annoying how the press say something once then the whole world believes it.

As Geeg said we just need to educate our clients in what's right and wrong and what is hype and what isn't. I think it just helps to keep our job challenging ( if not annoying sometimes...lol) and keeps us on our toes to make sure we also keep up to date on what's going on and what's new in the industry.

Keep educating and doing great nails.:D

Latest posts

Back