Mags and other things

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There ,

I am curious . What do you mean by airbrushing thier products ? And if so where does this fall in with the Trades dexcription act .

PS Alex .Agree with everyone else . Great mag .

Have a look at some of the pictures, they are clearly airbushed photographs. If you have to touch up a photograph then the orginal is not as perfect as you are trying to make it look.

glynis said:
Have a look at some of the pictures, they are clearly airbushed photographs. If you have to touch up a photograph then the orginal is not as perfect as you are trying to make it look.

When a company has spent thousands on a photographic session and they discover a flaw ... they are sure as hell going to erase it if they can.

My God, You don't seriously think all the beautiful models with the perfect skin in all the make up adds really look like that do you?? Those perfect smooth legs .... do you think they really exist??? We are all buying dreams in the world of fashion.

In the world of nails, photos sometimes have to be 'touched up' ... it isn't a sin, BUT it is very expensive so it is best if the quality of work is as perfect as can be so we don't have to do it very often.

geeg said:
When a company has spent thousands on a photographic session and they discover a flaw ... they are sure as hell going to erase it if they can.

My God, You don't seriously think all the beautiful models with the perfect skin in all the make up adds really look like that do you?? Those perfect smooth legs .... do you think they really exist??? We are all buying dreams in the world of fashion.

In the world of nails, photos sometimes have to be 'touched up' ... it isn't a sin, BUT it is very expensive so it is best if the quality of work is as perfect as can be so we don't have to do it very often.
Hiya,
I agree, there is no model or celeb in any mag that hasn'y been airbrushed.........not sure about all nail adverts but hey that's life..........if it's going to make a company sell more then why not............remember Kate Winslet!!!!!!!!!!! all of a sudden she was 6ft tall and a size 8 (yeah right)
Amanda

geeg said:

Exactly. So what you are saying is that it is not actually possible to produce nails that look as perfect as they do in those ads? That to me is clear misrepresentation of a product's capability. Incidentally, it seems only a handful of nail companies do it.

With respect, none of us are trying to buy Kate Winslet's body, so whether she has it airbrushed or not is not an issue here.

ah.... ah!!!! (sorry....just switched Alan Partridge off!!!!!)
So there is a way for my "House Bricks" to look like "Pebbles" after all!!!!!!?
:)
Ive seen one ad in particular that has been clearly airbrushed to adopt a better appearance.
I remember seeing the original.....:eek: (not a pretty sight!!!!)

glynis said:
Exactly. So what you are saying is that it is not actually possible to produce nails that look as perfect as they do in those ads? That to me is clear misrepresentation of a product's capability. Incidentally, it seems only a handful of nail companies do it.

With respect, none of us are trying to buy Kate Winslet's body, so whether she has it airbrushed or not is not an issue here.

I don't think I was saying that at all.

I do not know to which add you refer, and perfect nails certainly can be produced and I know we at Creative aim to do that in all our images, but the odd flaw can be erased. The ODD flaw .... not everything. Sometimes camera angle can distort work that is perfect and then the image may need a little tweak here and there. I do not think this type of thing is misrepresentation.

If the whole image is changed by whatever means, then if you can see it socan others presumably and presumably they are not impressed.

By the way, With respect, I think a whole bunch of people try to buy Kate Winslet's body and every other dream they see in the consumer magazines which is exactly why the makup companies are so successful, why the images are so perfect and why they pay so much for the space in these very popular mags.

Sure its possible to produce perfect nails, but many cant even do good nails, let alone perfect ones.

Lets also be realistic. Photographic work is very very difficult as the camera can emphasize any flaw ten fold. If it is a minor correction because lighting and/or an angle caught a flaw and over emphasized it, then I dont see any harm in a company fixing that (its that or throw your shoot down the toilet because you had a flat spot).

On the other hand... if they have to change anything there, or fix significant flaws... well that is another story. Heck, at that point why even have a technician... just slap nails on with photoshop ;) .The company in question would be far better off simply getting a decent technician.

oops... jinx. seems we posted at the same time Gigi ;)

On the Kate note... you would be hard presses (in fact I bet it is impossible) to find an ad in any consumer magazine that hasnt been manipulated.

Poor old Kate Winslet!!! Anyway, she is not a product and she is not trying to sell her body to us. The pictures someone referred to were not of her advertising a product as such.

My point is that some of the advertisements in nail mags are so airbrushed that the nails look more like drawings. Of course it is possible to produce perfect nails (hell I do it every day ;) ) but they look like real nails and not computer aided design images.

glynis said:
Poor old Kate Winslet!!! Anyway, she is not a product and she is not trying to sell her body to us. The pictures someone referred to were not of her advertising a product as such.

Hiya,
The point i was making was that almost everything you see in magazines all be it fashion, hair or nails is airbrushed as Sam and Geeg says it is not allways easy to capture (notice I said capture and not produce) a good photograph (lighting etc)........the nails may be perfect to start with but when you take a photo it may not look 100per cent.....i agree that some look really stupid but thats business
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back