Majimeches-20 vol vs 30 vol dilemma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georigia S

Reaction score
My hairdresser (mobile) has always added highlights using Majimeches with 20 vol and leaves the foils for approx 45 - 60 minutes to lift to a creamy blonde. However, this time she found she didn't have enough 20 so used 30 vol and explained that 30 vol would probably be better as it lifts quicker and therefore would be on my hair less time.

She said it was up to me which option I wanted the next time. When I asked which would be better for my hair she said it didn't really matter, the choice was whether I wanted to wait 35 mins or over an hour for my hair to lift.

But she has never offered me 30 vol before and I'm not sure if she just used it due to the fact she had run out of the usual 20 vol?!

So now I don't know which to choose, I am just so confused - she is a super hairdresser but a little touchy if asked questions and I so don't want to offend her by asking again. :o

So, can someone please tell me which one would be better for the health of my hair:

20 vol + approx 60 mins (I understand it has less strength but it is on my hair a longer time):Scared:;
or
30 vol + approx 35 mins (I understand it is a stronger strength but on less time) :Scared:;

The highlights look the same lovely creamy colour but just want to know which would be the best option.

I really hope someone will take pity on me and answer my question.

Thank you

as a pro hairdresser..I like to stick to lower vols..always. I even lift people's hair using 10 vols sometimes. Is it gonna take longer? of course...same for 20 vols. BUT - here's the equation you need to understand, we.. as hairdressers have solid books sometimes, and we cant spend hours with you..doing only one good job on your head, cuz theres always someone previous..and someone next to you. So its quicker to slap 30 or even 40 vols of developer and be done with it in 20-30 mins.

If you want to keep the integrity of your hair, keep using lower vols of peroxide..simple as that, otherwise you'll fry your hair sooner or later.

My hairdresser (mobile) has always added highlights using Majimeches with 20 vol and leaves the foils for approx 45 - 60 minutes to lift to a creamy blonde. However, this time she found she didn't have enough 20 so used 30 vol and explained that 30 vol would probably be better as it lifts quicker and therefore would be on my hair less time.

She said it was up to me which option I wanted the next time. When I asked which would be better for my hair she said it didn't really matter, the choice was whether I wanted to wait 35 mins or over an hour for my hair to lift.

But she has never offered me 30 vol before and I'm not sure if she just used it due to the fact she had run out of the usual 20 vol?!

So now I don't know which to choose, I am just so confused - she is a super hairdresser but a little touchy if asked questions and I so don't want to offend her by asking again. :o

So, can someone please tell me which one would be better for the health of my hair:

20 vol + approx 60 mins (I understand it has less strength but it is on my hair a longer time):Scared:;
or
30 vol + approx 35 mins (I understand it is a stronger strength but on less time) :Scared:;

The highlights look the same lovely creamy colour but just want to know which would be the best option.

I really hope someone will take pity on me and answer my question.

Thank you

To be honest I'm not even sure why she had this conversation with you, if she ran out of 20vol just use the 30vol.

This hairdresser info that shouldn't really be passed onto you, or explained to you by any of us.

If you like the result and speed this time, ask her to use it again.

Firstly, I'd be concerned that your regular hairdresser had run out of the correct peroxide and then suggesting you choose which volume to use.

Secondly, she could have mixed it to obtain the correct volume so I wonder why she didn't?

If she had to ask the client which peroxide to use maybe mixing was a bit too advanced for her x

Mm, that's what worries me!

Strange it's a new geek with just one post.

You cynic, you!! Are you even a hairdresser?!

Or a hairdressing lady? (Sorry off topic) :)

as a pro hairdresser..I like to stick to lower vols..always. I even lift people's hair using 10 vols sometimes. Is it gonna take longer? of course...same for 20 vols. BUT - here's the equation you need to understand, we.. as hairdressers have solid books sometimes, and we cant spend hours with you..doing only one good job on your head, cuz theres always someone previous..and someone next to you. So its quicker to slap 30 or even 40 vols of developer and be done with it in 20-30 mins.

If you want to keep the integrity of your hair, keep using lower vols of peroxide..simple as that, otherwise you'll fry your hair sooner or later.

To be honest I'm not even sure why she had this conversation with you, if she ran out of 20vol just use the 30vol.

This hairdresser info that shouldn't really be passed onto you, or explained to you by any of us.

If you like the result and speed this time, ask her to use it again.

Strange it's a new geek with just one post.

Firstly, I'd be concerned that your regular hairdresser had run out of the correct peroxide and then suggesting you choose which volume to use.

Secondly, she could have mixed it to obtain the correct volume so I wonder why she didn't?

If she had to ask the client which peroxide to use maybe mixing was a bit too advanced for her x

Thank you to everyone who took the time to try and help me and put my mind at ease regarding the long term condition of my hair.

I only discovered this site when I attempted to google for advice regarding my above dilemma. I initally thought I would join and simply search my problem, when I couldn't find an answer, I plucked up the courage to post my question.

I would also like to stress my hairdresser did not ask me for advice regarding the choice of volume.

She simply arrived at my house, full of busy, returning from her car full of hell complaining that she didn't have enough 20. It was more like she was talking to herself, sort of thinking out loud type of situation, saying 'don't fret I can still do your highights - I'll just use the 30'. She always chunters on.

But because she has ALWAYS said even though it takes ages for my hair to lift it was still better for my hair to use the 20 vol. I was all 'I can wait till next week' but she insisted saying 'no its' fine, it'll be quicker'.

But I do worry. When she finished it looked and feels the same, but I am still concerned about the condition of my hair in the long term.

Again, I must stress she didn't ask me which volume I prefered for the next appointment - I just asked if she would be going back to the 20 again (I wouldn't dream of being demanding or pushy) and she just said something along the lines of, 'its up to you, they are the same, you'll get the same result' I must stress, she did not ask my advice.

I am indeed a new member and this is my first post - but I don't know what I've said to be strange?! :o. I hope I haven't upset anyone, this was certainly not my intention and I have no motive other than wanting to know:

Which is better for my hair:

30v on for a shorter period or 20v on for double the time.

My sincere apologies if I have inadvertently upset anyone due to my enquiry.

I'm not really a hairdresser so I can't help I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back