Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skin Base Lift is amazing! I've been using it for highlight and contour as well as an undereye concealer. It's definitely worth investing in a few shades. Do you have a store or counter near to you so you can have a play with it first?

London is the nearest shop but i was planning a trip to soho soon so I'll go have a play.

London is the nearest shop but i was planning a trip to soho soon so I'll go have a play.

You definitely should, it's nice to see the shades first hand as well.

Well obviously im using too much, thats the point i was making! It just seems to dry up and wont blend further. Did shake before use as well. Must just be me!!

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry, Sarahj25, if someone has already said this; I haven't read all the thread.

How long have you had the foundation open? A wet foundation will thicken and go off fairly quickly.

Are you prepping your skin well? I'm sure you are, but regular exfoliation and moisturising 15 mins before application will give optimum benefits with any product.

If you want to look plain but still pretty with a little make up you can put on powder on your face and then use a little bit of mascara on your eyelashes, and just a little bit of lip gloss, i always do this and it makes me look fresh and pretty :) you can do this when you're in a rush too, it take less than 5 minutes.

Please note that if you are a qualified makeup artist you can actually get pro memberships with top brands.

I am a MAC-Pro member, they award you with 35% off products via their hotline or in any freestanding MAC store (not concessions) they also do Back2MAC. You can give them 6 or 9 (unsure of which one now) empty tubs back and they give you a free lipstick of your choice as long as it's not viva glam or limited edition. I have been a MAC-Pro member for 4 years now and the money saving is amazing when buying eyeshadows, lippies, etc in bulk and fantastic on their brushes too.

Bobbi Brown also do Pro Artist Memberships and so many more! Just ask in store or research online. If you are qualified and have evidence to prove this, it's deffo worth signing up to build your kit.

Hope this helps xx

xProjectPrettyx

Does anyone have Stila's pro discount?

I applied quite a while ago but have never heard back. I emailed to see if it was because it wasn't successful but haven't heard back from that email either. Just wondering if maybe they're super slow?

You definitely should, it's nice to see the shades first hand as well.
I couldn't wait till I could get to London, I ordered the lightest two! I needed another hydra veil anyway so if I like them I'll order some other colours.

I've bought so much makeup this month already and it's only the 4th. addicted! :lol:

does everyone cleanse,tone and moisturize before make up?if so which products do you use?and what primer do you use and do you use it over eyelids as well?and do you use a brush or sponge to apply foundation please?trying to.build up a kit haven't got much yet at all so learning off you all,thank you all for your recommendations x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

does everyone cleanse,tone and moisturize before make up?if so which products do you use?and what primer do you use and do you use it over eyelids as well?and do you use a brush or sponge to apply foundation please?trying to.build up a kit haven't got much yet at all so learning off you all,thank you all for your recommendations x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app
I usually ask the client to ensure they've cleansed, toned and moisturise but sometimes I'll do it. I have travel size eve taylor products in my kit (as I bought the mobile kit before I decided not to offer facials).

I use a couple of different primers. I have Illamasqua's hydra veil (which is awesome) and a no.7 one and a NYX one. It depends on the skin type I'm working on. I have too faced shadow insurance for eyelids and a nyx eyeshadow primer.

I normally use a brush for foundation (my favourites are the real techniques stippling brush and the real techniques expert face brush) but I have beauty blenders as well if I need them for extra blending. Or for mature skin, I prefer to use my fingers then a sponge for a bit of blending (the Real Techniques miracle complexion sponges are as good, if not better IMO, than the beauty blenders and they are a fair bit cheaper too. Plus you can find them in boots/superdrug).

I couldn't wait till I could get to London, I ordered the lightest two! I needed another hydra veil anyway so if I like them I'll order some other colours.

I've bought so much makeup this month already and it's only the 4th. addicted! :lol:

How are you getting on with them? I really like them on the cheek for highlight and contour as well as for under eye concealing.

How are you getting on with them? I really like them on the cheek for highlight and contour as well as for under eye concealing.
The white one is a lovely highlighter, but the one I bought as under eye concealer I really haven't given it a proper test.

It takes a lot to conceal my ridiculous under eye shadows but I'll try and remember to try it out tonight. I usually have to combine a couple of different concealers.

The white one is a lovely highlighter, but the one I bought as under eye concealer I really haven't given it a proper test.

It takes a lot to conceal my ridiculous under eye shadows but I'll try and remember to try it out tonight. I usually have to combine a couple of different concealers.

Same here, mine are terrible! I find that a small amount of this looks great and really lifts the area (as the name suggests!) rather than just concealing.

I have a quick question (I don't do make up, this is just for my own make up)
I have quite long eyelashes and when I wear waterproof mascara I often find that throughout the day my top eyelashes rub on my eyelids and leave marks, I only seem to have this problem with waterproof mascara but I'd prefer to wear a waterproof product.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening and what I can do differently to stop it? X

Have you tried Dreamweave or Blinc? I had the same problem. Waterproof mascaras aren't oil proof and I put the problem down to the fact I have quite oily eyes. DW is my saviour x

Same here, mine are terrible! I find that a small amount of this looks great and really lifts the area (as the name suggests!) rather than just concealing.
I'm wearing it today (and wore it last night) and I'm really impressed. I normally have to combine 2 concealers and this one is pretty good alone. And the texture is good too. I hate when concealer is too creamy because it just creases up under my eyes.

I'm gonna have to buy more of these for my kit.

I'm wearing it today (and wore it last night) and I'm really impressed. I normally have to combine 2 concealers and this one is pretty good alone. And the texture is good too. I hate when concealer is too creamy because it just creases up under my eyes.

I'm gonna have to buy more of these for my kit.

I'm loving having them in my kit, really handy to have when you need to pack light as you can use them for highlight and contour as well as knowing it will conceal brilliantly.

Glad you like it! :D

I bought the entire Range ( theres only 6 shades) of their foundation, not the tint but the full coverage foundation and I really love it, It's got great coverage and yellow undertones. Only con is how long it lasts... But I'm not entirely sure I think that because I was looking for a reason to find fault with it, because it seems too good to be true at £6.50 I think I might try the darker colours as a contouring foundation.

Hi Katy, did you go for the liquid Flawless Finish foundation or the powdered Mineral foundation? xxx

Hi ladies,

Do you any of you use lipstick colour locks? I used to work in Screenface and know they did one but it was so long ago I genuinely can't remember how it lasted (I only ever used it on myself) and from what I remember I found it a little drying.

I am starting to do bridal makeup soon and wondering how to make lipstick last.

Also what's the deal with shimmery eyeshadows? How much light will they reflect? And do you tend to have individual shadows or palletes

Thanks
Laura :o)

Thanks

Like lipcote? I remember owning that in the 90s and it was gross and didn't really work! haha. I haven't tried any others since. I think you just have to expect that the bride will have to touch up their gloss or lippy.

I love shimmery shadows but I tend to not do the entire eye with it. Maybe a bit on the lid then use mattes to highlight and for the crease. Or maybe a little shimmer to highlight. I tend to stay away from really shimmery shades on more mature clients too.

I carry palettes because they're easier when it's all in one place. I have a couple of predone palettes but I also have a couple of Z Palettes that I can put my own colours into, so I guess I really have both.

If you have a pro membership with cocktail cosmetics you get a discount on Z Palette Pro and that's pretty big! Mine is filled with some old MAC shadows (bought before I stopped buying MAC), some inglot shadows, yaby shadows and some I've depotted from sleek palettes etc.

Ok so them touching up is fine with me just wanted to check I wasn't missing out on something.

Will check out those palletes they sound fab.

Does anyone know a stockist derma colour or RCMA concealers? It will need to be shipped to Australia.

Latest posts

Back